U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 09:32 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,087,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Welcome Matt,

It is amazing, all the leagues and levels in the UK. Sometimes I hear Brits saying the EPL is crap (all about money, no alcohol in stands, less local pride) and that the true spirit is in the lower leagues/smaller clubs.

I think most American soccer fans stick to the EPL but are interested in relegation or promotion... like Newcastle bouncing back after one year, or if Fulham drops this year. We also know there is talent there, so if DC United signed a player from Rotherham, we'd be excited for him to be pretty darned good.

I personally think the EPL may be too taxing to players and it contributes to poorer play in Internationals. Maybe Rooney was just too tired in the World Cup for instance. It's also interesting to see reknowned players basically fail in the EPL. Players are getting bigger and faster every year and time on the ball less and less. I feel every other league in the world is a picnic compared to the EPL.

Yet maybe the Bundesliga rewards its fans the most? Which league has the highest approval rating amongst it's fans? (bear with me), I'd say the Bundesliga.
there is no doubt the EPL is the most 'talented' league in the world, but i love watching the scottish PL, english championship, english league 1, la liga, german bundesliga, MLS and the french league, there's bags of talent in other leagues to enjoy, with plenty of drama, passion and great teams, but EPL is still the most exciting, but loads more to enjoy out there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 10:48 AM

3,847 posts, read 3,967,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycee View Post
I'd say the Bundesliga too mate. The fan comes first in Germany. Tickets are cheaper and the transport to the ground is free i've heard. Attendances are up and atmospheres over there are good. Most grounds have standing areas which are unheard of mostly in englad nowadays. Im a bit old skool in the fact i like to stand at the footie, makes for a better atmosphere and what not.

I think the EPL is a higher standard of football quality wise, but ticket prices are high. Trouble is people pay the prices so there only going to rise. I dont support an EPL team though, so our tickets arent too bad
Yeah Boycee, plus different teams can win the Bundesliga, not just the big 3 or 4. Lots of goals too in the Bundesliga too.

Can I assume you support Reading FC? Not a bad club at all... and thank you for developing Bobby Convey, he was among the very best in MLS last year and should probably be 1st team LM on the US team in my opinion.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Yeah Boycee, plus different teams can win the Bundesliga, not just the big 3 or 4. Lots of goals too in the Bundesliga too.

Can I assume you support Reading FC? Not a bad club at all... and thank you for developing Bobby Convey, he was among the very best in MLS last year and should probably be 1st team LM on the US team in my opinion.
bayern have won the bundesliga 5 times in the past decade, it is a great league 3rd best in the world in my opinion, after EPL and la liga. and there are 6 teams in with a shout for the EPL this season, and here in scotland hopefully heart of midlothian (hearts) can break the glasgow celtic and rangers dominance for the first time since the 80s in the SPL when dundee united and aberdeen dominated

Old 01-22-2011, 10:17 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,743,505 times
The lack of parity is the worst part about European club football. Those leagues have taken notice of the MLS and the way they do things. Even though the owners of the superclubs would fight it, a salary cap would be a great tool to help even things out. Plus, it might help the teams not attempting to outspend each other and going bankrupt in the process.

The MLS has a fast turnover in their top teams. It isnt uncommon for a team to go from terrible to a title contender in a couple of seasons.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:15 PM

but to be a great club you need to win things for a long period of time and have great players, for this you need money

Old 01-25-2011, 08:55 AM

175 posts, read 172,610 times
Quote:

Yes i do support Reading FC.

Yeah Bobby convey, great little player for us. Helped us get promoted to the premiere league in our recorde breaking season . Oh how i long for those days again . Glad he's doing well back in the US
Is he still with San jose?

Old 01-25-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
bayern have won the bundesliga 5 times in the past decade, it is a great league 3rd best in the world in my opinion, after EPL and la liga. and there are 6 teams in with a shout for the EPL this season, and here in scotland hopefully heart of midlothian (hearts) can break the glasgow celtic and rangers dominance for the first time since the 80s in the SPL when dundee united and aberdeen dominated
I think the title it manyoo's this season. The gooners will fade as they have a habbit of doing, Man city at best can hope for the champions league this season. Although i do think they will be title challengers soon. Gotta keep hold of Tevez! Chelsea are already 7 points off utd and have played a game more. So it's utd's title to lose really.

Would love hearts to break the old firm dominance in the SPL though.
Do you think they can do it? They've just beaten rangers and haven't they got Celtic next?

Old 01-25-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boycee View Post
I think the title it manyoo's this season. The gooners will fade as they have a habbit of doing, Man city at best can hope for the champions league this season. Although i do think they will be title challengers soon. Gotta keep hold of Tevez! Chelsea are already 7 points off utd and have played a game more. So it's utd's title to lose really.

Would love hearts to break the old firm dominance in the SPL though.
Do you think they can do it? They've just beaten rangers and haven't they got Celtic next?
yeah it's man u's to lose, but you never know, and arsenal are looking good this season i would say they are the only team that can maybe pip man u, but as you said it's man u's to lose

yeah they have got celtic next and if they get a result there they will be in with a shout, they are playin good stuff this season

Old 02-06-2011, 05:18 AM

WOW! What a saturday of football that was.

Some stunning games this weekend in all leagues
Newcastle come from 4-0 down at half time to draw 4-4 with arsenal. And the equalising goal was an absolute rocket!
Blackpool go 2-0 down, then 3-2 up, then lose 5-3 to Everton! Spurs get a late winner.
Little old Wolves end Man utd's unbeaten run.
On top of all that you have
Stoke 3-2 Sunderland
Villa 2-2 Fulham
Wigan 4-3 blackburn
Man city 3-0 West brom.

Record breaking day for goals all round! Was brillaian t entertainment watching soccer saturday.
If only my lot could have beaten QPR friday night would have been a great weekend.

Chelski v Liverpool today, should be good as well the brummies v West ham! Bring it on

Old 02-06-2011, 11:04 AM

yeah great weekend of football, liverpool all but ended chelseas slim title hopes, and there was one of the best old firm derbys i have seen in ages that finished 2 all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer