U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 04:23 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,022,322 times

Advertisements

Soccer is popular in the United States believe it or not. It is the #1 participation sport in the entire country, not only among kids, but it is very popular among adults as well. Soccer is mostly popular among younger people (average age of world cup viewer was 37 compared to every other major sport where it is mid 40's- 50 something) and the well off (average income of world cup viewers in the US is almost 80,000 per year). So yeah, it is definitely a good thing that the average soccer fan in this country is young, and has cash.

MLS is growing steadily, and yes, loudmouthed old rednecks love to bash the sport, but those people are dying out...literally. The generation x/y- ers that were raised on the 94 world cup and onward are growing up and are certainly more receptive to the sport than previous ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 09:50 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,777,889 times
I make it a point to bring people to games that have never been before. I have bought tickets and even paid for beers to get people to come out for the experience. I am a strong believer in experiencing something or making an effort to get to know something before passing judgment. Nearly everyone that I brought to games that either didnt know the sport or even claimed to hate it admitted that it was far better than they expected and I have created 6 season ticket holders from doing that. All people that use to not like or even bash the sport.

Out of all those people, there is only one that I remember that still claimed to hate it but even so, he said he now respected it as a sport and realized how much skill and how physical the sport is.

I cannot even tell you how many people that will bash the sport to me and then I ask if they have even watched a second of a game and they said no. I just dont understand how someone can claim to hate something they have never experienced. It is like saying you hate a movie you have never seen or a food you have never tried.

I think a lot of people that bash the sport do so because it is the cool thing to do. A friend of mine's girlfriend use to always make comments to me about the sport because her boyfriend and friends did. Then, I brought her boyfriend to a game and he enjoyed herself and she now praises it even though she still hasnt been to a game. I think a lot of people are like that.

We were watching a Wizards game at a bar one time and there was probably at least 100 people there to watch the game and a group of guys came in and started saying stuff like, "turn this **** off, no one is watching it!" They quickly realized that they were the only people there not interested and they shut up quickly and even started watching it and by the end they were cheering with the rest of us and high fiving when we scored.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:52 AM

224 posts, read 592,841 times
The mighty internet showed me this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbn3rOPmR9w

So uh no.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:09 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,776,276 times
The internet is never a great barometer of public opinon. Normally very agitated or unreasoned opinon and discourse THRIVES on the internet.

Soccer is the most popular participary sport particularly among youth. MLS is steadily if slowly growing.

That being said from a spectator and entertainment perspective it's quite niche. The soccer viewing populace is split between those who watch the big Euro and South American leagues and the MLS.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:50 AM

840 posts, read 1,213,925 times
The internet leads me to believe that the US only cares about 2 things when it come to sports: NFL and Lebron James.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:26 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,776,276 times
HENCE, why it's bad.

Baseball is arguably the number two sport in America but you probably wouldn't know it just by the internet. Because of it's high median fan age, most fans likely aren't into the whole "type yourself silly on forums" deal like youngens are.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:33 PM

7,552 posts, read 16,438,505 times
Never heardof Lebron James ....

I have alot of people here in town watching Football now. Every game that was on ESPN for the World Cup was on the TV in the conference room, muted for whem meetings were on but the game were all on TV. People who said they hated it watched games and asked questions and many of them still watch games so it is defiantely getting more popular, even if it is a bit slow.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:20 AM

3,250 posts, read 3,157,924 times
Yeah who's Lebron James?

Old 01-26-2011, 01:02 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,494,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Yeah who's Lebron James?
In case you're being serious -- I have no idea how far his star power extends abroad -- he's a star player in the NBA whose talent was so evident early on that NBA teams started courting him from about age 15 whereas about 99% of NBA players play 3 or 4 years in college first.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:14 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,219,181 times
I like to watch the goals. Just play back the highlights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or