Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 01:22 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times

Advertisements

Hate soccer? Yeah, pretty much.
Ninety minutes of runnin' 'round and mebbie somebody scores a goooooooooaaaaaaaal.
Muy boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 09:39 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Nowhere near as boring as 30 seconds of play followed by 5 minutes of guys in tights and helmets standing around slapping each others ass

Old 01-26-2011, 12:12 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
HENCE, why it's bad.

Baseball is arguably the number two sport in America but you probably wouldn't know it just by the internet. Because of it's high median fan age, most fans likely aren't into the whole "type yourself silly on forums" deal like youngens are.
Is funny you mention it. I'm a big fan of baseball, and based on numbers I understand is the #2 league in the states, but I could swear is as unpopular as ice hockey if I read blogs and sh** like that. NFL is definitely #1 by far, but sometimes I feel like the NBA is way more popular than the MLB when that's not the case....Yes, there might be a big hype around guys like Lebron and Kobe, but in average, more people follow baseball teams than NBA teams. Cities like St. Louis, NYC, San Francisco, Fort Worth, Houston, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Boston, Chicago, Milwaukee, and San Diego are crazy about their baseball....when in comparison, the NBA only gets coverage when L.A., Miami and Boston are playing.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:29 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
ANY sport can be boring when you generalize it and only focus on what you don't like about it.

That doesn't mean the sport IS what you say it is. It's just an opinion that doesn't mean much. Just like me saying:

- Guys who say that the soccer isn't liked or noticed in this country are morons.
- Guys who complain about people calling the sport soccer instead of football are candy-ass crybabies.
- And anyone who argues which sport is better (football or soccer) has no life.

See...

Last edited by JJG; 01-26-2011 at 01:11 PM..

Old 01-26-2011, 01:37 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
A dude I do have a life! I just like to have heated debates about something that is pointless every now and again!

Old 01-26-2011, 02:30 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
Is funny you mention it. I'm a big fan of baseball, and based on numbers I understand is the #2 league in the states, but I could swear is as unpopular as ice hockey if I read blogs and sh** like that. NFL is definitely #1 by far, but sometimes I feel like the NBA is way more popular than the MLB when that's not the case....Yes, there might be a big hype around guys like Lebron and Kobe, but in average, more people follow baseball teams than NBA teams. Cities like St. Louis, NYC, San Francisco, Fort Worth, Houston, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Boston, Chicago, Milwaukee, and San Diego are crazy about their baseball....when in comparison, the NBA only gets coverage when L.A., Miami and Boston are playing.
Old heads watch baseball and fill the stands. They are also more likely to stay with a team because it is local.

Us young whippersnappers are equally likely to follow a team due to a star player and NBA TOTALLY OWNS MLB in terms of star marketing. Not to mention them kids being more likely to yammer on about this stuff on the interwebz.

That's it in a nutshell.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:56 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Do you actually go to baseball games? The stands are filled with 20- and 30-somethings.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:56 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Do you actually go to baseball games? The stands are filled with 20- and 30-somethings.
Maybe, but baseball is still one of the old man sports....along with golf. Which makes sense... I mean, baseball was much more popular with the baby boomers and previous generations. On the flip side, Soccer is definitely more popular with generation x-ers and y-ers in this country....

The 2010 FIFA World Cup had a median viewer age of just 38, lower than the 2010 NBA Finals (41), Super Bowl XLIV (43), the 2010 Stanley Cup Final (45) and the 2010 Daytona 500 (45). The 2009 World Series had a median age of 50 and the 2010 U.S. Open (golf) had a median age of 58. (Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel).

Last edited by Interpol76; 01-26-2011 at 07:10 PM..

Old 01-26-2011, 07:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I perosonally don't care that much about baseball but have griend i go to games with at times. Definitely stands not filled with boomers. Perhaps the most loyal fans in attendance of any pro sport.I really don't see soccer makig any inraods on fottball.baseball and basketball i thsi coutnry. I mean they bid to cover all three. College football proably bring in more money than any soccer games in the USA and is only getting larger.It funds many other college sports actually.Alot of generation X and Y at thsoe college games really and much more tha at soccer games. its not hate its preference really.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:25 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,571 times
You can't predict the future.

I'm in my 20s and who knows what kind of crazy sports landscape will exist when I retire.

Personally, I think the Big 3 will always have the lions share of fandom, along with college football.

It's possible for soccer to grow, the MLS has been gradually expanding and the lower levels of the soccer pyramid look to be stabilizing as well.

Short term though, I just don't see them rivaling the meteoric growth that Basketball had.

One problem is the pace of the game, those weaned on basketball and football (which were made for television) will have trouble adjusting to it.

Also, as long as Europe eclipses MLS in stature and star power, average Joe Blow American is going to have a tough time caring about it.

At best it could equal hockey in terms of fandom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer