U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2011, 08:47 PM

9 posts, read 13,980 times

Advertisements

I heard from an American that soccer fans in the USA generally tend to be from the cosmopolitan coastal cities like LA or NY or Seattle that have a international influence and tend to be liberal. Also they tend to be more educated than the average NFL/MLB/Nascar fan and have a passport.

On the other hand the average NFL or baseball fan tends to be conservative, patriotic and from the middle states. They also tend to be in that 84% of America that doesn't own a passport.

Any truth to this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 10:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,100 posts, read 54,945,417 times
I think the popularity in Seattle has a lot more to do with the international
diversity of the younger employees at Microsoft. Same for San Francisco
(Silicone Valley).

The entire Sounders season has been sold out too years in a row. The fans are very enthusiastic, like in other countries, but about 85% of them are under 35. Oh, and the team is sponsored by Xbox. Fans this age did grow up playing soccer. Those above about 40 rarely played youth soccer and were never exposed to it on TV or at a professional or college level. They did grow up with football, so it's natural for them to resist having a sport foreign to them pushed in their face.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:07 AM

7,208 posts, read 8,405,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron.d View Post
I heard from an American that soccer fans in the USA generally tend to be from the cosmopolitan coastal cities like LA or NY or Seattle that have a international influence and tend to be liberal. Also they tend to be more educated than the average NFL/MLB/Nascar fan and have a passport.

On the other hand the average NFL or baseball fan tends to be conservative, patriotic and from the middle states. They also tend to be in that 84% of America that doesn't own a passport.

Any truth to this?
I don't know. I love soccer and baseball, but I also live in a rural area.

One thing I have noticed, those that hate soccer and are always complaining about it, tend to be more RW...

Old 01-16-2011, 06:01 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,022,019 times
Soccer fans in the United States do tend to lean to the left. They also tend to be young (avg. age of world cup viewers was 37), educated and fairly well off. NHL fans tend to be very well off and highly educated as well. Baseball and football fans tend to be less educated, poorer, and blue collar types.

Here is an interesting article about sports fans and political affiliations...

http://friskaliberal.wordpress.com/2...ly-republican/
http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/Sports-Stats_900.php (broken link)

Old 01-16-2011, 09:42 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,776,725 times
I am an avid supporter of soccer and am very involved with Sporting Kansas City and are at the very least an acquitence or have knowledge of dozens of avid supporters and I would say that many of them lean left but there are conservative supporters as well.

Studies have shown that supporters tend to be highly educated as well.

Our small tailgating group that goes to games together has about 25 people. We have 2 doctors, a lawyer, 4 high school teachers, and there are about 6 of use that work in financial services. Then, we have several blue collar people as well. I would say that 80% of us have a college degree. Most of the people outside of our group that I know have degrees and professional jobs as well.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:09 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,137,543 times
its weird, id say soccer was for the blue collar 'average' person here in britain and say rugby and cricket fans tend to be more well off (although rugby has a good amount of 'blue collar fans' also)

Old 02-09-2011, 07:20 AM

3,852 posts, read 3,994,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron.d View Post

Any truth to this?
I beleive all of this is true broadly speaking. My only exception might be on the NFL which has become so popular, even the rats and pigeons follow.

The negative US soccer fans (the haters), as in soccer, as in energy, climate matters, immigration, healthcare, etc., are old fashioned rural or suburban (mostly) white folks that see soccer and globalization as a threat to their way of life. They are usually Conservative Republicans and eventually they will die out.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:34 AM

161 posts, read 123,813 times
Yea, I think odds are you'd find that if it's an older white male right winger, he'll more be likely bash soccer. The tone behind how they denounce the sport is more of "it's not American," from what I've observed. I can't say that for all, I know a lot of white republicans in their twenties that are huge fans of the sport. Then again, you'll see a lot of black male football players bashing it too. But then you have guys like Ocho Cinco and Kobe that are huge fans of it. So I guess it's hard to say, but I think the connection for "haters" is that they didn't grow up with it and never truly participated in the sport, so it's a threat to what they know.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:16 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,137,543 times
yeah i found this interview with kobe bryant i didn't no he lived in italy

AC Milan fan Kobe Bryant reveals his love of soccer - CNN.com

Old 04-23-2011, 09:52 PM

6 posts, read 42,995 times
I'm a white male, and tend to lean Right in the political spectrum and soccer is my favorite sport. Why does one have to fit in some "niche" to love the game?
They say a sport will never become popular in America unless it becomes popular with its poorer citizens, perhaps that is what is needed to gain popularity here. Promote/teach the sport to children in our poorer neighborhoods, all you need is a ball 2 legs and 2 feet, absoultly no reason this should be a sport for only higher income suburban neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or