U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-03-2011, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC
3,852 posts, read 3,993,397 times
Reputation: 6520

Advertisements

Thought I'd start a thread discussing the active month just past.

First off Fernando Torres to Chelsea for 58M Euro!! What? I wouldn't go 10! The guy has been in poor form for over 2 years. He even wins the World Cup looking like crap! Club or country he's looked sullen, out-of-shape and rusty.

Meanwhile Liverpool adds World Cup revelation Luis Suarez and the young blue chip giant Andy Carroll for the same price! Very well done Liverpool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2011, 04:31 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,552 posts, read 16,435,354 times
Reputation: 5092
Torres isnt made for England IMHO. I think in England the league is a totally different style to what he will succeed in so while I think he will do good at Chelsea he would do much better back home.

Suarez for Liverpool is a fantastic signing and will do better for them than Torres when he settles into the game. I think Carroll is a great player but not worth 35million that they paid for him. I think thats why English players are knocked downt he pecking order and are harder to buy than foreign players of the same price, the foreigners are generally cheaper and play for less.

Case in point is Robbie Keane, good avg player but nowhere near as good as the wages he demands. Carroll not worth the money he was bought for (thought I hope he does prove me wrong), Heskey was well overpriced too.

Anyway back on topic I think that Robbie Keane will do better at West Ham than he did at Spurs and would do well to drop his wage demands and sign for a club with lower standards like West Ham. He will play game in game out for a club like that vs bit part like he did for Spurs / Liverpool. Signing for Inter Milan was the worst thing he could have done for his career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2011, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,775,780 times
Reputation: 2809
Yeah, I think Torres is made for a faster pace game than the more physical English game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2011, 10:09 PM
 
Location: .....
956 posts, read 982,723 times
Reputation: 602
Any thoughts on Muntari going to Sunderland?
What about Inter and their new signings?
I think that Torres will make things easier for us (Chelsea fans) in the Champions League, but that's just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 06:37 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC
3,852 posts, read 3,993,397 times
Reputation: 6520
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
Any thoughts on Muntari going to Sunderland?
What about Inter and their new signings?
I think that Torres will make things easier for us (Chelsea fans) in the Champions League, but that's just my two cents.
I don't see that Inter did much(?)

Muntari should be excellent for Sunderland, I thought he was generally excellent at Portsmouth, so for me he is well proven in the EPL.

Torres has to get his form back, Chelsea could be the perfect way. But if he can't prosper with Drogba's varied influence and the quick hitting attacks triggered by the Ramires' Maloudas or Essiens... well I'm not sure he'd do well in my pickup group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 06:45 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC
3,852 posts, read 3,993,397 times
Reputation: 6520
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I think Carroll is a great player but not worth 35million that they paid for him. I think thats why English players are knocked downt he pecking order and are harder to buy than foreign players of the same price, the foreigners are generally cheaper and play for less.

Case in point is Robbie Keane, good avg player but nowhere near as good as the wages he demands. Carroll not worth the money he was bought for (thought I hope he does prove me wrong), Heskey was well overpriced too.

Anyway back on topic I think that Robbie Keane will do better at West Ham than he did at Spurs and would do well to drop his wage demands and sign for a club with lower standards like West Ham. He will play game in game out for a club like that vs bit part like he did for Spurs / Liverpool. Signing for Inter Milan was the worst thing he could have done for his career.
Hmm, so maybe Carroll's been overhyped? Can't say I've seen him play more then 5-10 times or so. What do you think he lacks?

It would be nice to see Robbie Keane get some playing time again, West Ham could be a good fit. I always felt he was a speed and mobility based player, so what if he's lost too much pace? Plus West Ham also got striker Demba Ba who was impressive in Germany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,552 posts, read 16,435,354 times
Reputation: 5092
I dont think he lacks very much, I just dont think hes a 35 million pound player if you know what I mean. Maybe he will be a 20 goal a season man, I am hoping to be proven wrong.

Keane has not got alot of pace but my main deal is he is greedy on the ball. He tends not to release it when he should and he hasnt got the "killer instinct" he thinks he has. He does get some flashes of brilliance from time to time, but anybody can. Its his consistency that lets him down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 03:43 PM
 
Location: .....
956 posts, read 982,723 times
Reputation: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I don't see that Inter did much(?)

Muntari should be excellent for Sunderland, I thought he was generally excellent at Portsmouth, so for me he is well proven in the EPL.

Torres has to get his form back, Chelsea could be the perfect way. But if he can't prosper with Drogba's varied influence and the quick hitting attacks triggered by the Ramires' Maloudas or Essiens... well I'm not sure he'd do well in my pickup group.
Yuto Nagatomo and Giampaolo Pazzini just came in. Both scored on their debut. I think Inter has a chance of going far in the Champions League, but without the big Mou, I doubt that they will win in.

As for Chelsea and Torres, only time will tell I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2011, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,135,956 times
Reputation: 4093
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Yeah, I think Torres is made for a faster pace game than the more physical English game.
the EPL is the fastest paced league in the world!? don't tell me you think the spanish league's faster!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2011, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,135,956 times
Reputation: 4093
yeah BACK TO NE i think west hams signing of ba and keane will make them stay up i was shocked a team fighting to stay up got 2 quality strikers like these 2, definitely think ba will set the epl alight, and can see a 'bigger' team moving in for him in a season or 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top