U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 11:01 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,974,670 times

Advertisements

Part of the problem is the CONCACAF teams don't have much/any star appeal to Yanks. The Mexican teams a bit, but not in a big way. If we were playing against Boca Juniors, River Plate, Flamengo and Corinthians, there would be more of a buzz.

Furthermore, Yanks are used to only 'league' games in the other sports. So these extra tournaments and friendlies can seem to water down the product(?)...

Also, the media does a poor job of explaining the structure of the tournament.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 04:39 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,099,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
It can become big, but its akin to the Cup Winners Cup, nobody really wants to put an effort into it. I know the teams dont put effort into it so I dont really have interest in watching it. Unfortunately the only thing that can turn that around is $$$$.

A well organsied and competetive CCL would be freaking awesome but there is just nothing in CCL that makes me really interested. Too many teams from one country etc. I know I prolly am being too picky but if the Rapids (if / when they play) dont show interest I wont be that interested. If I see a game on I will watch but wont go out of my way to watch a game.

I have seen Shelbourne FC play in Champions League and UEFA Cup against small teams from Lithuania to Brondby, Hadjuk, Kilmarnock, Rangers and much more so I know the excitement of the travel and the competition but CCL lacks it all.
i get your point, yeah the powers that be will have to roll their sleaves up and pump some serious $ in to it, but the fans will have to play a part also, we all have to start somewhere right? p.s. i don't think my friends who support rangers would call them a small team! lol the rangers sporting lisbon europa league match was the best in europe this week rangers with a goal with the last kick off the game to go through, great game rangers do well in europe usually, well for a team from a small country

Old 03-15-2011, 02:57 PM

643 posts, read 981,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Anyone else surprised by this?

Despite this everyone gets up for a exhibition game against Man U or Barca which I am pretty sure no one in England or Spain gives a crap about.

I've been following the CCL closely this season as i'm an RSL fan.

I'm pretty sure i'm the only person who really follows the MLS and CCL out of all the people i know.

When we play friendlies against MLS teams if you win, you seem to go mad whereas we don't really care, as long as we do well in our league and cup we are fine.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:35 PM

44 posts, read 43,071 times
One Love Liverpool.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:06 AM

2,372 posts, read 3,061,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
I've been following the CCL closely this season as i'm an RSL fan.

I'm pretty sure i'm the only person who really follows the MLS and CCL out of all the people i know.

When we play friendlies against MLS teams if you win, you seem to go mad whereas we don't really care, as long as we do well in our league and cup we are fine.
not a huge fan of mls, like euro soccer better, (go ahead, call me a euro-snob!) but I do like the CCL format, neat to see how MLS stacks up against the region.

most MLS fans seem not to care about it but I think that's b/c they've tended not to do well in the competition.

saw a little of the RSL - Saprissa match, was impressed with RSL, seemed to play very bright, attacking football.

MLS seems to be hit or miss, some games and teams are or appear to be good and some games and teams are quite dull and less skilled. It just seems like you never quite know what you'll get, sometimes you tune in and are very entertained and the game is a good one and sometimes it looks like a 15 year old league. but where was the NBA in the 60's?

I just don't like the prevailing attitude of many MLS fans that are constantly calling people who prefer euro-soccer as "snobs". It's like living in Sweden, Germany or Czech republic and calling people snobs b/c they like and watch NHL hockey (they all do and have access) b/c they acknowledge it's overall the best league in the world. sure they support their domestic leagues but also maintain and recognize that the NHL is the best hockey league in the world.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:59 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,397,409 times
I wouldnt use the word "snobs" but there is a bad attitude towards MLS from alot of US based Football fans. I even spoke to a dude from my corporate officea bout it this morning and think I convinced him to give MLS another try. Back in Ireland we had the same us vs them attitude for people who looked down their nose on Irish football to watch English football. IMHO there is NOTHING like watching your local team play, nothing. Back home I would much rather watch Shelbourne FC vs Bohemians than Man U vs Barcelona, same here I would watch Colorado Rapids vs anybody before a game like Man U vs Barcelona.

Its something your avg armchair football does not experience and that is live, local football. Man U are not the be all and end all and people need to get that out of their heads and give MLS a try. It is a much better league now than what it was years ago, its not a Mickey Mouse setup by any stretch of the imagination.

Anyway back to the CONCACAF it was a good result for RLS and I hope they go all the way. A win for RSL is a win for MLS. I would still like to see bigger teams in it. Saprissa while good should never stand a chance vs RSL.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:22 AM

2,372 posts, read 3,061,076 times
if you've ever been on 'big soccer' msg boards there are some pretty militant MLS fans who love to throw that around and it's not nearly so the other way.

live football is great, too many in this country see soccer as a kiddie game played on saturday afternoons and haven't seen it played by world class athletes.

mls is being smart, trying to grow slow and within reason, avg. about 14-15K fans per game , not far off NBA and NHL. As long as they don't try to grow to fast or overexpand (no second team in NY for instance) they should be alright, pretty incredible considering it's such a new league. And today there is so much competition for viewers.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:04 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,099,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
if you've ever been on 'big soccer' msg boards there are some pretty militant MLS fans who love to throw that around and it's not nearly so the other way.

live football is great, too many in this country see soccer as a kiddie game played on saturday afternoons and haven't seen it played by world class athletes.

mls is being smart, trying to grow slow and within reason, avg. about 14-15K fans per game , not far off NBA and NHL. As long as they don't try to grow to fast or overexpand (no second team in NY for instance) they should be alright, pretty incredible considering it's such a new league. And today there is so much competition for viewers.
there is 12 professional football teams in englands top 3 leagues from london, i am pretty sure a city the size of new york can have 2/3 teams! i know what you are saying doing things slowly at first, i also agree with that, but a great international city like new york deserves a derby match i think!

Old 03-16-2011, 01:37 PM

Yeh I have been unfortunate enough to be on the Big Soccer boards :S I ended up leaving because of the BS and you had to make an obscene amount of posts before you could start your own thread so I have no doubt that there are tools there.

MLS is doing a fantastic job. I had so many doubts and was worried that I would be an armchair fan after I left Ireland ( I used to go to one game a week there ) but thankfully the MLS has progressed enough to where I love supporting the Rapids.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
there is 12 professional football teams in englands top 3 leagues from london, i am pretty sure a city the size of new york can have 2/3 teams! i know what you are saying doing things slowly at first, i also agree with that, but a great international city like new york deserves a derby match i think!
Its 50/50 what way it could swing dude. I am on the side of seeing an NY derby match would be freaking fantastic and the City is big enough to support two teams for sure but is it big enough right now to support a second team I am not sure sure .... but I still cant wait for NY Cosmos to come and get some more passion in the game

Its not compareable to London because England has a history of Football and the US is all American Football, Baseball and Basketball and what not. Football really is in its infancy here in the US, though progessing nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer