U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 08:13 AM

7,550 posts, read 16,385,177 times

Advertisements

Youth development is actually pretty good in the US. Its hard to say becasue no uber stars came out of it yet (well maybe one for NYRB I think) because the league is still a baby. You dont get great players over night. The Mexican football isnt all that much better than US IMHO, MLS teams just need to figure out how to beat them.

Playoffs do create great rivalries but I dont think it compares to Derbys. You have to imagine my family is all Shamrock Rovers & Bohemians and when I went and started following Shelbourne it split the freaking family. My dad and cousins hated me for it and there was lots of abuse and even one of me cousins wouldnt talk to me because of it! Derby games split the family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 08:41 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,088,512 times
the mexican teams seem to be a bit ahead of the us teams from what i have read, not surprising given the popularity of the sport in each country, mexico has produced some world class players, look at hernandez at man u for instance, but i am fairly confident it is only a matter of time till the usa produces a world class player, the have a few really great players with one of my favorite, holden, playing brilliant at the moment, but i think an american will be playing regular for a top team, man u, barca, chelsea, real madrid etc, within the next couple of years

Old 03-17-2011, 08:50 AM

That 17 year old kid for NYRB, cant remember his name! He was awesome the games I saw him play in.

Mexico does create some great players but they dont stick around in the Mexican leagues too long.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:13 PM

2,369 posts, read 3,057,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
That 17 year old kid for NYRB, cant remember his name! He was awesome the games I saw him play in.

Mexico does create some great players but they dont stick around in the Mexican leagues too long.
you're not talking about Jozy Altidore? I assume there's a newer young guy b/c Jozy's in europe now, has been for like 3 years.

used to be most Mexicans stayed at home but now there are many in europe, can only help them.

Quote:
Youth development is actually pretty good in the US. Its hard to say becasue no uber stars came out of it yet (well maybe one for NYRB I think) because the league is still a baby. You dont get great players over night. The Mexican football isnt all that much better than US IMHO, MLS teams just need to figure out how to beat them.

Playoffs do create great rivalries but I dont think it compares to Derbys. You have to imagine my family is all Shamrock Rovers & Bohemians and when I went and started following Shelbourne it split the freaking family. My dad and cousins hated me for it and there was lots of abuse and even one of me cousins wouldnt talk to me because of it! Derby games split the family.
didn't some MLS team start an academy down in Alabama, Salt Lake or Colorado?

I thought MLS teams used to have reserve squads but got rid of them due to money? I don't think they have them anymore. BUt the academies will , should help, the college system that we have is NOT the best way to develop talent. Look at US hockey, they've stepped up the youth system and it's really helped. By the time they've gotten to college it's often too late.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:56 PM

No its not Altidore, ill ask the boss when he gets in cause he is better at names than I. He is not US born but is eligible for US national team now.

Yeh for sure Europe is better for the Mexican players and the MLS teams becasue they dont actually play Mexico's best.

Colorado Rapids has a huge complex with tonnes of football pitches and youth games on alot.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:09 PM

altidore shouldn't get a game for the states, me personally i think he is crap, didn't even barely get a game at hull, i think the usa should play dempsey up front with donovan just of him to spread defences, i think that could be a nice set up

Old 03-17-2011, 01:11 PM

Played 28 times for Hull didnt he ? Scored 1 goal. I think he needs to come back to the US if he wants to actually play some Football. I dont rate him as a great striker but he would do well here.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:26 PM

Juan Agudelo Juan Agudelo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-17-2011, 02:03 PM

yeah mostly of the bench

wikipedia= ''Altidore was popular with supporters but struggled to make a lasting impact with the Tigers as his finishing was often found wanting, however he did manage to score his first and only Premier League goal in the 2–1 home win over Manchester City on the 6th February''

1 goal and poor finishing in his time in england, if the usa want to improve don't let him anywhere near the team!

Old 03-17-2011, 02:06 PM

2,369 posts, read 3,057,786 times
Quote:
Played 28 times for Hull didnt he ? Scored 1 goal. I think he needs to come back to the US if he wants to actually play some Football. I dont rate him as a great striker but he would do well here.
yes, and that was in the Carling cup or FA cup, pretty bad, people talk about his size, hold up play, this and that, but in the end he needs to score, he's a striker. Lot's of potential, but it's quickly fading amongst many US soccer fans. FIrst touch isn't great and lots of people think if you don't have it by now it won't develop, hence my comments about college soccer and being too late.

he seems to have so much potential but in reallity it's not being realised. He's got great size but goes down too easily looking for calls, to me he could be like , dare I say, Drogba with his size and physicallity but he's more like a poor man's Heskey instead. Oh well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer