U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-17-2011, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Midwestern Dystopia
2,369 posts, read 3,057,786 times
Reputation: 2961

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
altidore shouldn't get a game for the states, me personally i think he is crap, didn't even barely get a game at hull, i think the usa should play dempsey up front with donovan just of him to spread defences, i think that could be a nice set up
that's wayyyy too radical for bob bradley, you're tlaking abut a coach who played a 4-5-1 against Cuba at home. Seriously.

the US doens't even play a 4-4-2, it's really a 4-2-2-2 because Donovan and Dempsey are so narrow. Zonal Marking had a good technical report on that with pictures to show just how narrow the US played.

Just really boring and unattractive football and quite frankly they're just not fun to watch anymore. Glad the WC is over b/c I was sick of watching the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-17-2011, 02:23 PM
 
1,261 posts, read 1,770,576 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Youth development is actually pretty good in the US. Its hard to say becasue no uber stars came out of it yet (well maybe one for NYRB I think) because the league is still a baby. You dont get great players over night. The Mexican football isnt all that much better than US IMHO, MLS teams just need to figure out how to beat them.

Playoffs do create great rivalries but I dont think it compares to Derbys. You have to imagine my family is all Shamrock Rovers & Bohemians and when I went and started following Shelbourne it split the freaking family. My dad and cousins hated me for it and there was lots of abuse and even one of me cousins wouldnt talk to me because of it! Derby games split the family.
Rivalries and sports are fun.

Honestly though, I don't have any time for any such family dispute nonsense.

It's a GAME, there's more important things to have a tiff about, I don't think this is even prevaleant among college football family fans. Sorry I just think that takes it WAY too far and the day we have something like the Old Firm is the day I SERIOUSLY rethink my sports hobby.

Anyways, back on topic.

I have heard that US Development is improving but it still has some fundemental differences. Soccer just isn't played pick up like say basketball in this country like they do in Mexico and the youth systems aren't as robust and organized as those in Europe.

I enjoy our English-style of play but from what my noob eyes can detect, we need better finesse, this is primarily what Mexicans have over us IMHO.

Last edited by waltlantz; 03-17-2011 at 02:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2011, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,550 posts, read 16,385,177 times
Reputation: 5087
You missed me point but anyway.

Old Firm is not a great example of an actual derby atmosphere. What you have here is two sets of gob****es who hate each other for for rediculous reasons that have nothing to do with football..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2011, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,550 posts, read 16,385,177 times
Reputation: 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
yes, and that was in the Carling cup or FA cup, pretty bad, people talk about his size, hold up play, this and that, but in the end he needs to score, he's a striker. Lot's of potential, but it's quickly fading amongst many US soccer fans. FIrst touch isn't great and lots of people think if you don't have it by now it won't develop, hence my comments about college soccer and being too late.

he seems to have so much potential but in reallity it's not being realised. He's got great size but goes down too easily looking for calls, to me he could be like , dare I say, Drogba with his size and physicallity but he's more like a poor man's Heskey instead. Oh well...
Heskey is exactly waht I was going to liken him to! Except Heskey scores goals from time to time and he really does not ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2011, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,088,512 times
Reputation: 4092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
that's wayyyy too radical for bob bradley, you're tlaking abut a coach who played a 4-5-1 against Cuba at home. Seriously.

the US doens't even play a 4-4-2, it's really a 4-2-2-2 because Donovan and Dempsey are so narrow. Zonal Marking had a good technical report on that with pictures to show just how narrow the US played.

Just really boring and unattractive football and quite frankly they're just not fun to watch anymore. Glad the WC is over b/c I was sick of watching the US.
i'm not talking about a 4-5-1 formation, you can play both up front dempsey as a target man and donovan, just off but still up front, with his pace and movement creating space for midfeilders and dempsey to run in to, and plus a 4-5-1 formation doesn't have to be defencive you can have attacking center mids and wingers and full backs and adjust it depending on the quality of their opponent, it is just a thought though! and i don't watch many usa games i was thinking more of in the world cup
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2011, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Midwestern Dystopia
2,369 posts, read 3,057,786 times
Reputation: 2961
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Heskey is exactly waht I was going to liken him to! Except Heskey scores goals from time to time and he really does not ....
hence the "poor man's" comment! I wish he could produce like Hemsky, it'd be a step up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2011, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Midwestern Dystopia
2,369 posts, read 3,057,786 times
Reputation: 2961
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
i'm not talking about a 4-5-1 formation, you can play both up front dempsey as a target man and donovan, just off but still up front, with his pace and movement creating space for midfeilders and dempsey to run in to, and plus a 4-5-1 formation doesn't have to be defencive you can have attacking center mids and wingers and full backs and adjust it depending on the quality of their opponent, it is just a thought though! and i don't watch many usa games i was thinking more of in the world cup
I understood, my only point is really BB is too conservative for that.

donovan has such incredible stamina I don't mind him out wide b/c he gets space out there and with the emergence of Stu Holden (bolton wanderers) in great form perhaps that's the answer. But even playing a diamond midfield (think liverpool gerard as a number 8, box to box mid) seemed too radical for Bob even though his son did well coming forward at Heerenveen a few years back. Oh well.

dempey shines up front for the Nats and to me at least isn't really defensive minded so he lets alot go by on the right side see: jonathan spector at Confed Cup South Africa 2009.

(although dempey does play wide right mid for fulham, mostly he does seem better up top for the US mens)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2011, 03:00 AM
 
2,845 posts, read 3,935,154 times
Reputation: 3234
Real Salt Lake is in the finals of the CONCACAF Champions League and took a 2-2 draw down in Monterrey, Mexico, in the first leg of the final. It looks good for the first CL trophy for a MLS team if they can hold Monterrey to a draw in Sandy, or beat them by a goal.

I note that Nate Borchers has played very well in central defense and has also picked up key goals on headers. Should get a national team look, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2011, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,744,446 times
Reputation: 2806
I think it will take an amazing performance by Monterrey to win this series now. RSL plays great at home and with 2 away goals, it is going to be hard for them to lose.

This will only be the second time an MLS team will win a home and home series against an Mexican opponent. Kansas City did it in 2002.

It will be nice to have an MLS team win. I think it will increase US interest in the CCL and give the league a chance to play in meaningful games against European opponents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2011, 07:06 PM
 
2,845 posts, read 3,935,154 times
Reputation: 3234
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I think it will take an amazing performance by Monterrey to win this series now. RSL plays great at home and with 2 away goals, it is going to be hard for them to lose.

This will only be the second time an MLS team will win a home and home series against an Mexican opponent. Kansas City did it in 2002.

It will be nice to have an MLS team win. I think it will increase US interest in the CCL and give the league a chance to play in meaningful games against European opponents.
Meaning that RSL -if they win the CCL- will go on to the World Club Cup, which will also have the UEFA CL winner, correct? I don't know of any other way a MLS team will get a "meaningful" game against European opponents because those Euro pre-season friendlies in the summer are not meaningful. Interesting, but nothing at stake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top