U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 12:53 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,761,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Meaning that RSL -if they win the CCL- will go on to the World Club Cup, which will also have the UEFA CL winner, correct? I don't know of any other way a MLS team will get a "meaningful" game against European opponents because those Euro pre-season friendlies in the summer are not meaningful. Interesting, but nothing at stake.

Exactly. The friendlies are nice but there is nothing to play for and it is merely a preseason tune-up to European sides who come over and play. Although, those games can sometimes get pretty intense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 12:02 PM

643 posts, read 982,444 times
The world club cup means nothing. A lot of the united fans i know didn't know they had won it a few years back. Full strength squads are rarely put out and i would say the UEFA Champions league means a lot more.

When the CCL got to the serious stage, people seemed to take interest.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:40 PM

7,552 posts, read 16,413,350 times
Youre right LondonUSA it does mean nothing to European clubs but just the fact that say RSL play Man Utd or Barca or somebody is enough to make people cream themselves and generate alot of interest. Even if they only played against the Reserve squad, its the big name club that gets people watching.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Youre right LondonUSA it does mean nothing to European clubs but just the fact that say RSL play Man Utd or Barca or somebody is enough to make people cream themselves and generate alot of interest. Even if they only played against the Reserve squad, its the big name club that gets people watching.

The team playing them will most likely be a 2nd strength team. They won't really get to play a full strength European team.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:48 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,115,000 times
yeah i think the world club cup need to be "reinvented" because that has the potential to be great, i think european teams see it as 2nd best to the champions league, and rightly so because that is the premier club cup in the world, but it would be good to see a competitive competition with club teams from around the globe, maybe in time, as the rest of the worlds leagues are getting better in quality there will be more demand to make this competition a top notch one, where it is taking seriously and teams want to win it, lets hope so!

Old 04-24-2011, 05:50 PM

7,552 posts, read 16,413,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
The team playing them will most likely be a 2nd strength team. They won't really get to play a full strength European team.
Thats what I said

Old 04-26-2011, 11:41 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,773,491 times
Thinking about it, the League is kind of cursed.

Aside from the FMF and MLS, no country's club can be effectively leveraged for big time money because the markets of central america are so small and broke by comparison.

Just looking at comparisons;

UEFA has royalty like Barca, ManU, Inter, Bayern, Ajax, along with others like Warsaw, Spartak, Kiev, Anderlecht, Porto, Marseille, etc. Those are teams that take a big chunk out of a respective countries fanbase.

Similarly, the Copa America has Boca, River, all those Brazialian Clubs (so many good teams there, WOW) Cola-Cola, Nacional, etc. There is such wide spread interest and team strength.

The new millenium holds promise, the game is conquering new territory although it's a slow process.

If anything, CONCACAF could come to resemble the AFC Champs League. South Korean, Japanese and Australian Leagues aren't top heavy like their European and Middle Eastern counterparts but can be expected to bring a wealthy audience and clientile. Plus there is great potential if China and India could get their respective acts together.

On the FIFA Club World Cup,

Theoretically, it could kick butt. I mean ManU, Chivas, Flamengo, Al-Ahly and Urawa all going at it would be really cool.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:21 PM

i agree with that waltlantz

Old 04-27-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Thinking about it, the League is kind of cursed.

Aside from the FMF and MLS, no country's club can be effectively leveraged for big time money because the markets of central america are so small and broke by comparison.

Just looking at comparisons;

UEFA has royalty like Barca, ManU, Inter, Bayern, Ajax, along with others like Warsaw, Spartak, Kiev, Anderlecht, Porto, Marseille, etc. Those are teams that take a big chunk out of a respective countries fanbase.

Similarly, the Copa America has Boca, River, all those Brazialian Clubs (so many good teams there, WOW) Cola-Cola, Nacional, etc. There is such wide spread interest and team strength.

The new millenium holds promise, the game is conquering new territory although it's a slow process.

If anything, CONCACAF could come to resemble the AFC Champs League. South Korean, Japanese and Australian Leagues aren't top heavy like their European and Middle Eastern counterparts but can be expected to bring a wealthy audience and clientile. Plus there is great potential if China and India could get their respective acts together.

On the FIFA Club World Cup,

Theoretically, it could kick butt. I mean ManU, Chivas, Flamengo, Al-Ahly and Urawa all going at it would be really cool.

I sort of agree. Calling Ajax royalty is not right. They have had their day and in the 80s and 90s they were one of the best teams around but they have since faded. You say Kiev, I'd say Shaktar, they have surpassed Kiev recently.

Also, as an RSL fan i would like to see teams such as MLS teams competing in it but as a Chelsea fan i wouldn't want my team to be in this just because of needless injuries that could happen. Good for smaller teams, not good if you are a big team and you are playing 'nobody's'

Old 04-27-2011, 12:29 PM

ajax are european royalty without a doubt, just the same way real madrid are european royalty they were great in the past, real maybe on the up but were poor for nearly a decade, and were still classed as one of europes big teams, its the same with ajax, they will always be royalty because the teams and players they have produced, and plus they are one of the best supported clubs in europe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer