U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 10:14 AM

7,552 posts, read 16,409,943 times

Advertisements

MLS Champions I think. Colorado Rapids!!!!!!
Hopefully we can get some more players in to cover our vunerability in midfield first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 10:34 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,111,551 times
just the 1 team?

Old 04-28-2011, 10:36 AM

Only team that counts! Wait ..

Found this
Quote:
MLS has three automatic berths in the CONCACAF Champions League for its American clubs with an additional spot available via the U.S. Open Cup; Canadian clubs in MLS qualify via the Canadian Championship. For the 2010–11 CONCACAF Champions League, the qualifying clubs are MLS Cup 2009 champion Real Salt Lake, Supporters’ Shield winner Columbus Crew, MLS Cup runner-up Los Angeles Galaxy, 2009 U.S. Open Cup winner Seattle Sounders FC, and 2010 Canadian Championship winner Toronto FC.
Not sure how accurate it is.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:07 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Only team that counts! Wait ..

Found this

Not sure how accurate it is.

That's correct. We generally send 4 - MLS Cup Winner, USOC winner, Supporters Shield Winner, and MLS Cup runner up.

I think that is exactly how it should be.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:13 PM

yep seems like the best way

Old 04-28-2011, 02:23 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,773,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
It was a great game, I was a sick as a dog and didnt enjoy it as much as I should have I think. RSL did EVERYTHING except score. They just lacked the killer instinct. The Ref did great too IMHO, wasnt sucked in by the play acting and then booking the Mexicans for time wasting and play acting was great too.

Yeh I dunno how you cant get into either. I am into football end of. I could watch two teams like Dundee vs Queen of the South and get really into it. Football is football to me. Cant even drive by kids teams playing without picking who I wanna see win :P

Walt, MLS has grown leaps and bounds since it opened is more then justifying the money being put into it. Its in its infancy and the standard of play and players has grown alot.
Well, I'm not gonna say that Europeans have tunnel vision and can't appreciate other team sports. That's silly.

But frankly I have heard from many Europeans speak negatively of American style football, naturally we think those people are crazy at best.

I just boil it down to having a different measuring stick of what is exciting from a sports perspective. This also I think boils down to conditioning and individual interest.

American Football has a lot of tough running and tackling and acrobatics. Basketball is fast paced and has a LOT of scoring and momentum changing that often leads to said scoring. These are the characteristics that many Americans have gotten used too from sport thanks to constant media and real life exposure. (I know baseball is an exception).

I as an individual still am getting used to the fact that despite there being all these momentum changes, there is a lot less scoring than basketball. I totally understand and accept that it's a different sport, but it still takes getting used to. Similarly, I am not a huge hockey fan (although do enjoy Stanley Cup Finals).

Similarly in America, you have some people who love basketball but can't stand hockey. Hell you have some people who prefer college level basketball vs. PRO basketball! So it's not so simple.

More specifically to the RSL game, it was seen through the lens of US vs. Them, america vs. Mexico. That emotional investment helped me get into the game more. I just don't have that watching foriegn teams and still cannot really see taking one up as "my club", despite the entertaining soccer they play.

I am sure people like that in Europe exist too, while there are a lot of die hard SOCCER fans you also have fans who like their team but don't trip over themselves to watch every single match especially for foriegn leagues.

My interest in American Football was not until recently mind you. Before about 3 years ago, I HATED TV sports aside from olympics and the occasional martial arts bout. My fandom for it grew and evolved, much like my soccer fandom is.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:37 PM

i love football, i love the mls aswell now since i have started watching it, anyone who doesn't enjoy watching barcelona playing possibly the best football ever played (even if you don't like barcelona, you know it's true!) they can't like and understand football

Old 04-28-2011, 05:46 PM

643 posts, read 982,191 times
I just can't watch American football. I think it's like rugby but not with the skill although i do appreciate the skill of some of them. Also the games drag out for way to long.

Monterry won but i think RSL played better. Also it's credit to the MLS that a team wer only just beaten by another who have 4/5 times their wage bill.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:58 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,773,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
i love football, i love the mls aswell now since i have started watching it, anyone who doesn't enjoy watching barcelona playing possibly the best football ever played (even if you don't like barcelona, you know it's true!) they can't like and understand football
Er, it's not the same as me tasting chocolate and going gaga for it instantly. Isn't there difference over people's prefered style of play? I've read comments of football fans not being into so and so league or so and so style of play.

Same thing with American football, fun and gun vs. 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Which is "better" the answer is neither.

To me it's not that obvious.

However, I said again the main reason I was more interested in the CONCACAF over the partiuclar UEFA match was because of the EMOTIONAL INVESTMENT.

I enjoyed it but wasn't thrilled by it. I can tell that Barca's the class of world arguably in the game but well, my love for the sport isn't as strong as yours I am afraid.

I love American football and the Super Bowl yet wasn't as interested in the game because the team I was rooting for (The Jets) didn't make it.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:00 PM

Yeh there is a difference in various countries / leagues style of play. Most people would drool at the thoughts of watching El Classico though.

Well I am glad you watched the final, I hope you continue to watch MLS and end up supporting what ever favourite team you chose. Welcome to the dark side
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer