Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 10:32 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,962,665 times

Advertisements

I think it is going to take time and MLS teams doing better in the competition before interest increases. I think eventually this tournament will be given the value that it should be the fans, media, and sponsors. As MLS grows this tournament will grow. Right now, Mexico dominates the competition and when you have a multi-nation competition where only one country fairs well, it isnt going to be as popular as it should.

It will also help when a Canadian team wins and those teams can make runs so then you have three countries competing for the title each year.

This is the most interest I have seen in this tournament and I think it can ride into next year. We just need MLS teams to continue to do well.

I think expanding the MLS rosters to 30 players will help teams compete because before, 24 players just left teams a little shallow to compete in this, league play, and USOC.

I hope USOC can grow into popularity as well. It is the oldest sports tournament in the US and should be given more credit than it should. I wish teams would take it more seriously. I love having the extra games and when KC made their run in 2004 to win it, it was so much fun to watch. Every round your team advances, the more fun the tournament gets as it goes will all competitions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 11:30 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,364,639 times
It will Rj. Imagine Agudelo in it this year, he would have tore Monterey up IMHO.

MLS was an OK league starting off and is now a great league, not the best in the world but it has a sold fanbase and some excellent players and future stars.

For sure the CCL is within an MLS teams grasp, hopefully Rapids will do it but I know it is in our grasp soon. This league is in its infancy and will be there soon enough!

Old 04-30-2011, 12:35 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,015,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I think it is going to take time and MLS teams doing better in the competition before interest increases. I think eventually this tournament will be given the value that it should be the fans, media, and sponsors. As MLS grows this tournament will grow. Right now, Mexico dominates the competition and when you have a multi-nation competition where only one country fairs well, it isnt going to be as popular as it should.

It will also help when a Canadian team wins and those teams can make runs so then you have three countries competing for the title each year.

This is the most interest I have seen in this tournament and I think it can ride into next year. We just need MLS teams to continue to do well.

I think expanding the MLS rosters to 30 players will help teams compete because before, 24 players just left teams a little shallow to compete in this, league play, and USOC.

I hope USOC can grow into popularity as well. It is the oldest sports tournament in the US and should be given more credit than it should. I wish teams would take it more seriously. I love having the extra games and when KC made their run in 2004 to win it, it was so much fun to watch. Every round your team advances, the more fun the tournament gets as it goes will all competitions.
I agree with most of this. The entire structure from the ground up needs to be fortified. To really see progress in it's popularity, US team needs to gather the nations attention OUTSIDE of the World Cup and we need more MLS Stars who are STATESIDE not international.

However, I don't know if you can do much about the US Cup. I mean aside from US, Spain, France and a few others it doesn't seem like domestic cups are even that big in European countries anymore. To many it's traditional, but I largely see it as pointless as only teams from the top league are going to win it anyway.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:12 AM

3,757 posts, read 5,280,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
While I largely agree about talent and money consolidation leading to somwehat less exciting soccer overall;

I just don't know if the "reckoning" will come. What will it look like.

After they don't operate on the more straight-buisness like franchise system. Particularly in Germany and Spain. Who is going to let a team out and out dissolve?

Also others will say; it's the best soccer in the World, who cares if it's the same people over and over. Especially if you are an observer from a distance.
Financial ruin will force dissolution. Already several Premier League clubs (and relegated ones), e.g., Leeds United and Portsmouth, have gone into receivership and then come out but with diminished ability to "compete" in the money sport that is EPL. Stadium fans are already complaining about the high ticket prices, and another downturn in the economy might force them to stop attending. Still, the bulk of the money comes from TV and advertising, but there is a limit to that on the upside. But after a while, it's going to be boring watching ManU stomp the poorer clubs as they get ready for their 5th match against Chelsea that season.

As to saying it's the best futbol in the world, I disagree. Watching Real Madrid maul Valencia 6-3 is not as interesting as watching a truly competitive match, as I said, Monterrey over Real Salt Lake, 3-2 over two legs. If Valencia DID beat Real Madrid this season, you know that RM will spend silly money to pry Valencia's best players away from them, even if just to sit in the stands (or get loaned out).

Look at this. (Current table.)

Club Pts
Barcelona 88
Real Madrid 80
Valencia 63
Villarreal 57
Athletic Bilbao51
Sevilla 49

Copa Del Ray Final: Real Madrid v Barcelona
Champions League Semi-Final: Real Madrid v Barcelona

Snoring, boring....

But, as I said, all it takes is for me to become a "fan" of Real Madrid or Barcelona and then I too can enjoy watching them stomp FC Cannon Fodder to death. It reminds me of the Harlem Globetrotters and the Washington Generals. The Generals traveled with the Trotters and were the cannon fodder and straight men for the Trotters "skill" and jokes, respectively. Not so popular anymore.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post

MLS did the right thing adding Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver all within a 2-year period. Those clubs carry their longterm rivalries from the USL/NASL and kept their names and fans. I just think that the MLS might be one of the best-run leagues in the world right now, and probably growing the fastest in terms of on-field competition and off-field management.

I also prefer to watch the Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamerica when those matches are shown, rather than the UEFA CL. Latino futbol is more exciting than the calculated European style. It is interesting that Mexico is allowed to field teams in both the Copa and CONCACAF competitions.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:02 AM

7,964 posts, read 11,811,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
And those 5 countries are dominated by 1-3 teams year after year.

England:
Manchester United
Chelsea
Arsenal

Germany:
Bayern Munich

Spain:
Real "Black Hole" Madrid
Barcelona

Italy:
Inter Milan
Juventus
AC Milan

What was the fifth country? Portugal? Well, they are dropping if you haven't noticed, but do have 3 of the 4 semi-finalists in the Europa League (Benfica, Porto, Braga).

Frankly, I find the above leagues dreadfully boring except for Germany where a few other squads have taken the title in recent years (Wolfsburg, Dortmund, even Stuttgart).
well why did you put bayern munich up as the only team then? and portugal has 4 quality teams, porto are the form team of europe at the moment, look you can watch what you want! but don't try and convince me that the german league is more exiting than the EPL (''dreadfully boring!'' haha funniest thing i have ever heard!) your league is just in its infancy i guarantee that a few teams will break off and dominate

Old 04-30-2011, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Well said!

While it is true that European clubs get the world's best players, a financial earthquake/tsunamis is coming their way since many clubs have refused to get their finances in order. In the end, the few really rich clubs are spoiling the competitive landscape and making it LESS competitive.

The latest UEFA CL match between Real Madrid and Barcelona was a farce! Fighting on the pitch and Big Mouth Mourinho getting sent to the stands and then he makes stupid remarks about how the ref threw the match to Barca because they have UNiCEF logos on their kit. This silliness ruins the game because BIG MONEY gives people motivation outside the norms of competitive sport.

No, best set of matches the past week were the two between Real Salt Lake and Monterrey. Great competition and no off-pitch cr@p.

I used to enjoy the Spanish league during the brief period when Real Madrid and Barcelona did not dominate. Valencia won the title twice, and Deportivo La Coruna once. But take a look at the table this year, it is absolutely ridiculous. Of course, those "fans" around the world who like to back only winners love to see their teams whack up on opponents. I prefer to see competitive matches.
yep there was a few handbags, still managed to fit in one of the greatest goals the champions leagues seen!

Old 04-30-2011, 03:10 AM

seriously are some of you trying to convince people that europe has boring football?! hahaha numbers talk people look at the amount of fans, and the numbers of tv viewers around the world, the EPL is without doubt the best league in the world, and your argument that because only a few teams win it each year doesn't stick, otherwise the amount of people that watch it would decrease right?! oh wait its rising year on year? weird one lol

Old 04-30-2011, 12:30 PM

643 posts, read 1,119,828 times
English football v German football.

Look at Schalke v United the other day, who was more exciting?

Old 04-30-2011, 06:34 PM

I prefer the term 'competitive' to 'exciting'. I enjoy watching competitive matches, you know, either team has a chance of winning.

Of course, you are entitled to be a fan of one of the big clubs and find it 'exciting' to watch them beat up on FC Cannon Fodder. That's the beauty of choice.

And, if the English Premier League is the most exciting competition in the world (for fans of ManU, Chelsea, Arsenal), then why is the English NT such utter cr@p??

I guess that that boring Brazilian league is better at raising up Brazilian players than the EPL is at raising up English players.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer