U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:37 PM

7,549 posts, read 16,383,531 times

Advertisements

Now, if you wanna talk ignorance and douchey dude all you have to do is listen to hardcore American Football fans who have never watched a game of football in their lives, talk about football. It swings both ways. But the sport IS called football, soccer would be a slang or nickname or wahtever you want to call it. It is called Football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 09:09 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,247 posts, read 19,171,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Now, if you wanna talk ignorance and douchey dude all you have to do is listen to hardcore American Football fans who have never watched a game of football in their lives, talk about football. It swings both ways. But the sport IS called football, soccer would be a slang or nickname or wahtever you want to call it. It is called Football.
I KNOW. I'm actually trying to keep this ballanced.

Both sports have their A-holes and for soccer fans, it's complaining about the name of a sport in a different culture and just not accepting the fact that American football fans don't have to call it what the rest of the world calls it. That's why I said what what posted.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:49 AM

3,250 posts, read 3,141,488 times
I think non-North Americans become confused with US sport when, for instance, after winning the superbowl, the Packers were called World Champions, which is pretty strange when no one from outside of North America takes part.

In Baseball no team from outside of North America take part. but the finals are still called the World series & the winners are called world champions. Why not champions of North America, which would be more honest.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:38 AM

I think it was original sponsored by "The World" newspaper and the name stuck. I may be way off on that, but I remember (vaguely) having that conversation with a dude in a bar once ........

Old 02-19-2011, 11:38 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,247 posts, read 19,171,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I think non-North Americans become confused with US sport when, for instance, after winning the superbowl, the Packers were called World Champions, which is pretty strange when no one from outside of North America takes part.

In Baseball no team from outside of North America take part. but the finals are still called the World series & the winners are called world champions. Why not champions of North America, which would be more honest.
Again, it's just a name.

It's called "World" Championship and "World" Series because it's the highest championship in that sport and given the title "World" Champion just makes it sound high. We already have "National" Champions, but that's reserved for our college sports. It just goes back to when pro sports in America started and the PR guys needed a name for the championship team that year. So it was marked "World" champion and the name just stuck.

This is sports.... they're just games. I mean, the when Summer olympics are held, it's winter in other parts of the world. You think it makes sense to them?

Old 02-19-2011, 01:25 PM

607 posts, read 806,225 times
Quote:
I think it was original sponsored by "The World" newspaper and the name stuck. I may be way off on that, but I remember (vaguely) having that conversation with a dude in a bar once ........
No - common mistake.

It was originally the "World's Championship Series" when it began in 1903, but eventually shortened to "World Series" after mostly being called that by newspapers so it would fit more easily.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:17 PM

Well it was a good nite of drinking, served up as a good enough fact at the bar I had no reason to research it

Old 02-22-2011, 10:35 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,164,075 times
Quote:
This really isn't that hard to understand. There are 6 major codes of football, and whichever of the 6 codes is most popular in any given region is called football. The other codes get other names. So in parts of the world where association football is most popular, it is called football, but in other parts of the world, it is called soccer. Both of these are just facts.

It isn't a statement on quality, it isn't about which came first. It is just about which game of football is most popular in a given region. Simple as that. Anyone who seriously gets upset by this has issues.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:44 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,389,357 times
http://www.onionbag.com/images/wayd/WAYDTHROWBALL.jpg

Old 03-08-2011, 04:27 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,087,185 times
is there any better sport when you see this?! not in my opinion!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9nVGBkUFeo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer