Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 08:27 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
No I am pretty sure I watch Football. Football is played on a pitch

Why cant you get into a game and try the word that the rest of the world uses ? Maybe because youre caught in your own world of you're right im wrong ?

How does saying American Football demean it ?

Youre the one having an eFit about the name of the game. If somebody calls it soccer to me I call it football I couldn't really care less
I don't think it's so much "demeaning it"... just feels unnecessary.

Why feel the need to say "American Football" when you're walking around and living in American? That to me is just like going to a Ford Dealership and telling the sellsmen "you want to buy an American car from this lot".

You know it's an American Car, but you don't say that, do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 09:03 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
yep

it's idiotic & childish .... a pure effort to try and get a rise out of someone

try being secure in what you enjoy

in the US there is no such thing as american football .... you have football & soccer .... period

just like any of another 100 items that may be called something else in another part of the world

in the states you watch soccer, go on vacation, put on a fresh diaper and put your kid in the baby carriage, throw some gas in your car, empty your junk from your trunk into the trash can

not

watch football, go on holiday, put a nappy on the baby and off in the pram, put some petrol in the car and put the junk from the boot in the bin

Old 03-10-2011, 10:18 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
But I talk to people about Football and I mean football. When I talk to them about American Football they know what I am talking to.

Its not to get a rise out of anybody, I am totally secure in what I enjoy. Totally. I enjoy Football.

Do you want a pat on the back that you know what we say in Ireland/UK vs the US ? I dont see the point. I never cried when somebody said trunk or diaper when they were in Ireland.

In Ireland GAA fans call Gaelic Football Football and Football Soccer. I dont I call it Football Football because thats what its called

Old 03-11-2011, 12:28 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,348 times
Hey man that's cool and all.

But honestly........for most people in the US, it's soccer, it just is......

Why are there still threads like this?

Old 03-11-2011, 08:38 AM

Im OK with you calling it soccer
Im just not going to be told I live in America and an American just told me I have to say soccer so say soccer because thats just not gonna happen.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:56 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,047 times
The problem, Brian, is that you keep insisting that soccer is simply just called football, but that American football isn't simply called football.

You're both right and wrong. Right in that parts of the world, soccer is football. But at the same time, in another part of the world, American football simply is football, too.

They are both football. One doesn't have the right to the name anymore than Gaelic football or Australian football does. They are all football. It's just that, for simplicity's sake, places with more than one football get to come up with names for the secondary ones they have. Thus: football and soccer, or, alternatively, football and American football.

See? Simple.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:59 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Hey man that's cool and all.

But honestly........for most people in the US, it's soccer, it just is......

Why are there still threads like this?
Because some people just don't get it...? Hell, I thought this was the first for this Forum that was specifically about this certain topic.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:10 AM

I said I call American Football, American Football. YOU can call it what you want. I call Football Football.

The original question was
Quote:
WHY DO PEOPLE GET THAT UPSET AT THE FACT THAT DIFFERENT CULTURES CALL THIS SPORT SOCCER?
, and I answerd that. I dont get upset I just dont call it soccer. Its not me crying saying youre in America you have to do what I say. I really dont and I wont. So maybe I should reverse the question and say WHY DO PEOPLE GET UPSET AT TE FACT THAT I DONT SAY SOCCER WHEN TALKING TO AMERICAN PEOPLE or something. Its really not that big a deal to me, call it what you want and I will call it what I want. It is a big deal to the ppl crying saying I must conform to their ways because I am in America

Old 03-11-2011, 11:37 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,185 times
I can remember when American football was simply called "Gridiron."

Old 03-11-2011, 12:25 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I can remember when American football was simply called "Gridiron."
It still is, in some places. My impression is that in Australia/New Zealand, for instance, gridiron is the most common term for American/Canadian football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer