U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-19-2011, 03:54 PM
 
Location: London, England
643 posts, read 981,313 times
Reputation: 160

Advertisements

Many Americans have started following 'soccer' in Europe and i was wondering what teams you support and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2011, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,807,935 times
Reputation: 4060
I watched the Premier League for years without any loyalties before settling on Everton. I appreciate the history of the club, love the blue kits, love that the club is in Liverpool, and I love that American Tim Howard is the GK. Rocky's a fan, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2011, 05:33 AM
 
Location: London, England
643 posts, read 981,313 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I watched the Premier League for years without any loyalties before settling on Everton. I appreciate the history of the club, love the blue kits, love that the club is in Liverpool, and I love that American Tim Howard is the GK. Rocky's a fan, too.

Quite a few Americans support teams that have American players in it.
Do you envy the British game at all? The fact that its so big in the UK compared to America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2011, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit Area, Michigan
1,107 posts, read 2,708,996 times
Reputation: 533
I support Arsenal F.C. because the team reminds me of how The Detroit Red Wings (Pro hometown hockey team) play with the passing style and passion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 04:21 PM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,578,414 times
Reputation: 2829
When I watch foreign football, I just root for the smaller club. I have no real connection to any side, though. I tried supporting Villa back when the Earthquakes moved to Houston, but I chose them for whatever reason, not really doing my research and knowing the history/identity/culture of each club. Thankfully, my hometown team was resurrected in 2008 so I just watch other leagues casually.

As an American, I find it easier to connect with Australian sports clubs than European ones, simply because Euros like to remind us every second how much different their sporting culture is. Eventually, I just gave in and said "yeah, so forget it." We don't need promotion/relegation, we don't hate salary caps and we don't fear the word "franchise."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2011, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,752,098 times
Reputation: 2809
I'm an Everton fan. I use to watch casually and ended up rooting for Everton for a few reasons. First, Preki played for them and he is my all-time favorite player. Second, they make due with what they have instead of blowing big bucks of star players. Three, I enjoy the way they play. Finally, they dont shy away from acquiring American players.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2011, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,752,098 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
Quite a few Americans support teams that have American players in it.
Do you envy the British game at all? The fact that its so big in the UK compared to America?

I'm not sure envy is the right word. While the English game is far superior to the MLS game on the field, I think the MLS is better at operations off the field. Clubs are having a lot of financial problems and then there is the issue with the Big 4 controlling the entire league. The EPL has actually taken notice of the MLS system that create parity and I hope they eventually implement a cap of some sort to help it become more competitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2011, 01:19 PM
 
Location: London, England
643 posts, read 981,313 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I'm not sure envy is the right word. While the English game is far superior to the MLS game on the field, I think the MLS is better at operations off the field. Clubs are having a lot of financial problems and then there is the issue with the Big 4 controlling the entire league. The EPL has actually taken notice of the MLS system that create parity and I hope they eventually implement a cap of some sort to help it become more competitive.
Envy may have not been the right word but you know what i mean by it? The top4 has now gone in the EPL with Manchester City and Spurs now challenging more.

What you were saying aboiut clubs having financial problems, this is because of ridiculous wage demands but now with many billionaires starting to buy clubs this could be gone - although i would rathe players just took a wage decrease instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2011, 09:24 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,752,098 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
Envy may have not been the right word but you know what i mean by it?
Are you asking if we wish the game as at the level of play and popularity in the US?

If so, I definitely want the level of play to get towards that level. As far as the popularity, I am not sure I want it that high. I dont think the MLS will ever pass Major League Baseball or the NFL and I am not sure that I want it too. Those leagues are plaqued with a lot of problems much like the EPL is. The MLS might be the best ran league in the US and I want it to stay that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
The top4 has now gone in the EPL with Manchester City and Spurs now challenging more.
I dont know that you can call it gone due to a couple of seasons of two teams challenging near the top. If Tottenham and Man City along with other teams start competing more then it might be something that can be said. Parity is still something that is extremely lacking in the EPL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
What you were saying aboiut clubs having financial problems, this is because of ridiculous wage demands but now with many billionaires starting to buy clubs this could be gone - although i would rathe players just took a wage decrease instead.
Ridiculous wage demands are not the only reason. Owners and Boards have to make the decisions to give in to those demands and there are other issues at hand. No business making as much as those teams do should be having financial problems. It is poor management all the way around. It will take years and years before some of these teams recover from their problems. Plus, who knows if these billionaire oil barons will continue their investments. It could be a passing fad with them. It is going to take a long time for those teams to recover no matter who invest with them. It takes about 10 times as long for a business to recover from financial strife as it does to fall into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 10:10 AM
 
Location: London, England
643 posts, read 981,313 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Are you asking if we wish the game as at the level of play and popularity in the US?

If so, I definitely want the level of play to get towards that level. As far as the popularity, I am not sure I want it that high. I dont think the MLS will ever pass Major League Baseball or the NFL and I am not sure that I want it too. Those leagues are plaqued with a lot of problems much like the EPL is. The MLS might be the best ran league in the US and I want it to stay that way.



I dont know that you can call it gone due to a couple of seasons of two teams challenging near the top. If Tottenham and Man City along with other teams start competing more then it might be something that can be said. Parity is still something that is extremely lacking in the EPL.

What i do like about the MLS is that it seems to be a place where players go at the end of their careers;Henry etc.



Ridiculous wage demands are not the only reason. Owners and Boards have to make the decisions to give in to those demands and there are other issues at hand. No business making as much as those teams do should be having financial problems. It is poor management all the way around. It will take years and years before some of these teams recover from their problems. Plus, who knows if these billionaire oil barons will continue their investments. It could be a passing fad with them. It is going to take a long time for those teams to recover no matter who invest with them. It takes about 10 times as long for a business to recover from financial strife as it does to fall into it.
Thats fair enough. I'm not sure if you heard of Mario Balotelli but when City said they wanted him, he said he would only go there if they pay hit at least 200,000 a week. If you have the money you would do this to get the players but i agree that is is definitely not good! He was 19 at the time i think!

Last edited by LondonUSA; 03-03-2011 at 10:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top