U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 05:34 PM

9,035 posts, read 16,537,999 times

Advertisements

first off, that link really doesn't have any stats, figures or any real data to it to backup any claims .... the real information it does have isn't that strong (TV rights) .... so I'm not sure your point

second - if I'm a fan of Fulham, Stoke, Wolves or any of these other clubs it really isn't all that compelling .... i know each year my team has virtually zero chance at the league title and only slightly less of a chance of playing in the champions leage ..... i really don't care how many people are watching Manchester United battle Chelsea in India and how much money it's making those clubs .... i care that it's giving my club some income, but overall I know next year it will be the same story

so my consolation is to watch and hope my team doesn't get relegated ... that's my excitement .... yeah, not really compelling

i'd much rather go into the season knowing that if not this year, the team can at least make strides to being competative next year or down the line and that there is at least a chance for most of the league to be competative .... the landscape is set

I'm a florida marlins fan in baseball .... they play in a garbage stadium have bad ownership, the locals don't turn out all that often and being an expansion team from the 90s it's not like there is centuries of history to keep me warm .... however, they've won two championships and have been generally competative over the past 5 years and go into this season with a chance of making the postseason once again ... can't ask for much more and that is in a sport where financial inequity presents itself the most severely

i'd rather take that rather than wondering if they will go from playing the mets to playing the montgomery biscuits in some triple A park next year

I'd also be very careful about leaning too heavily on TV contracts, league revenue and club values when doing an ego stroke as the author of that article seems to do ....... although the american sports aren't nearly as popular as soccer and some other sports on a global scale, they do very well in those measurables
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 06:45 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,796,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
I was going to say, per week thats more than in Europe!

I'm guessing by your location that you are a Sporting Kansas fan?

Yes, I have followed the league since day one and I am a season ticket holder. I actually worked for the team on the gameday operations staff the first two years of the league.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:54 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,166,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
first off, that link really doesn't have any stats, figures or any real data to it to backup any claims .... the real information it does have isn't that strong (TV rights) .... so I'm not sure your point

second - if I'm a fan of Fulham, Stoke, Wolves or any of these other clubs it really isn't all that compelling .... i know each year my team has virtually zero chance at the league title and only slightly less of a chance of playing in the champions leage ..... i really don't care how many people are watching Manchester United battle Chelsea in India and how much money it's making those clubs .... i care that it's giving my club some income, but overall I know next year it will be the same story

so my consolation is to watch and hope my team doesn't get relegated ... that's my excitement .... yeah, not really compelling

i'd much rather go into the season knowing that if not this year, the team can at least make strides to being competative next year or down the line and that there is at least a chance for most of the league to be competative .... the landscape is set

I'm a florida marlins fan in baseball .... they play in a garbage stadium have bad ownership, the locals don't turn out all that often and being an expansion team from the 90s it's not like there is centuries of history to keep me warm .... however, they've won two championships and have been generally competative over the past 5 years and go into this season with a chance of making the postseason once again ... can't ask for much more and that is in a sport where financial inequity presents itself the most severely

i'd rather take that rather than wondering if they will go from playing the mets to playing the montgomery biscuits in some triple A park next year

I'd also be very careful about leaning too heavily on TV contracts, league revenue and club values when doing an ego stroke as the author of that article seems to do ....... although the american sports aren't nearly as popular as soccer and some other sports on a global scale, they do very well in those measurables
look you know fine well it is by far the most watched sporting league in the world by far, even if you half the figures that i previously posted (which are true by the way!) it would still be by far the most popular league in the world. and being a team like fulham, wolves etc yeah they maybe not get to win the league any time soon but they get to see the team they love playing some of the best football in the world, and maybe battling to get in to a european competition even if they are in a regelation dog fight (which can be utterly entertaining by the way) they still support their team cause thats what being a supporter is all about, and if they do get relegated they go in to the championship (division 2) and still see great football, because thats leagues up their with the best also, and is the 4th most watched in europe behind epl, spanish la liga, german bundesliga and the italian serie a, astonishing for a second tier league. haha you watch a team thats won championships but can't get a decent support, you have just made my point its not all about trophies!

Old 03-10-2011, 09:08 PM

i can watch my teams over here play at the highest levels in the world and still have a chance to win a championship .... and yes, it's all about winning

sure that story about some 3rd world country sending a swimmer to the summer olympics may make a nice soundbyte and will give them a nice memory ..... but if they finish 10 lengths back from the slowest time you really can't call it competative

also, I do not know it is the most watched sporting league in the world .... i've yet to see any actual data on this .... for all I know it could be cricket, f1 or some other thing

what I do know is that you don't want to use TV contracts, league revenues or club wealth as a measuring stick of popularity though

and the point still remains .... as a fan of a domestic team, why exactly do I care if someone in some far off land is watching two other teams from the league play .... how does that make the league more interesting for me?

Old 03-11-2011, 12:26 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,779,410 times
As an american I think Finger Laker breaks it down pretty well, at least the attitude towards professional sports.

Something that matches the euro-football attitude would probably be closer to our college basketball and football. Many people follow their schools even if they don't have a realistic chance of making the basketball tourney or playing in the football national championship game (only WISH UVA could).

THAT BEING SAID, the biggest baddest teams who always play on a national level have the largest most intense fanbases.

Americans like sports but given the history of franchises and competition for the sporting dollar, we have to have hope or faith that we can actually be in the running and WIN a championship at certain intervals. Proportionally few fans (casual ones anyway) are going to waste time and effort on a loosing franchise, and with good reason.

There will be NO pro reg in MLS if they want the sport to grow any larger than it is in America, Americans don't support minor league franchises. This is something that foreigners must grapple with and any domestic soccer fan who thinks pro rel will be good for the sport is Looney Tooney.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
competition for the sporting dollar.
that is also a very good point ...... we have 4 billion dollar revenue leagues here on a professional scope (although the NHL is barely there) .... I'm not positive what the college sports pull, but I'd be shocked if college football wasn't a 5th and a little surprised is college basketball wasn't a 6th

then throw in things like nascar and any of the touring sports and it becomes a question of how to spend your time and your money .... it's a difficult environment for many sports to break into

Old 03-11-2011, 11:56 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,796,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
that is also a very good point ...... we have 4 billion dollar revenue leagues here on a professional scope (although the NHL is barely there) .... I'm not positive what the college sports pull, but I'd be shocked if college football wasn't a 5th and a little surprised is college basketball wasn't a 6th

then throw in things like nascar and any of the touring sports and it becomes a question of how to spend your time and your money .... it's a difficult environment for many sports to break into

College football is probably higher than 5th. There are 112 Division I football teams which equals 56 games each week. If you count lower NCAA divisions, there are hundreds.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:13 PM

Oh I definitely agree .... i wasn't trying to rank them in order, just a 5th billion dollar enterprise

I've seen some studies indicate that it would be behind only the NFL

Old 03-15-2011, 10:38 PM

44 posts, read 43,285 times
MLS sucks either way.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:37 AM

7,565 posts, read 16,469,065 times

Dont feed him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer