U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 07:39 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,422,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Now there are reports that they want the 2022 World Cup to be played in November. This is going to turn into a mess. I cannot see how they could have the WC played during the season. Some clubs would loose multiple key players for anywhere from 6-10 weeks.
I think they would have to suspend seasons until after the WC, which is a complete joke. I think EPL would have to take a winter break and other leagues would need to take longer winter breaks. Such as bad decision...did they not think of these issues when they gave the WC to Qatar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 08:56 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,974,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I think they would have to suspend seasons until after the WC, which is a complete joke. I think EPL would have to take a winter break and other leagues would need to take longer winter breaks. Such as bad decision...did they not think of these issues when they gave the WC to Qatar?
I'd like to see a world-wide petition to boycott this World Cup or demand that it is moved. I sense club soccer continuing to grow while international is somewhat flat, so I think there could be a critical mass of fans who just say NO.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:08 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,397,409 times
I dont think a petition would do anything unless everybody who signed donated more money than the brown envelopes received.

Also, International football cant get much bigger than it is anyway. All the major tournaments are already sellouts so what else can you do.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:06 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,884,166 times
They would have to suspend the completely useless domestic competitions if they did in fact have a long break during the season. So in England, the FA Cup and even more useless League Cup would have to be cut out to allow the clubs to play multiple Premiere League matches a week. That way the season would be able to end in late May, or early June.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:18 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,397,409 times
You cant cut the FA or League Cup. I am not sure if you think the FA Cup is useless and the League Cup is "even more useless" or not but the League Cup isnt useless its a route to Europe for smaller clubs and bigger clubs who may not get CL qualification.

They just need to suck it up, admit bribery and move the WC to a proper country.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:25 PM

I was reading an article about Russia and those new gay laws they put in place and how it could affect the Olympics and World Cup. Then they brought up Qatar and that I guess it is against the law to be gay. The best part was this:
------------------
Blatter drew criticism soon after the World Cup votes when he suggested that gay soccer fans could "refrain from any sexual activities" while attending the World Cup in the Gulf nation.
------------------
That guy is hilarious...how is he in charge of FIFA? He should just ban sex in general during all World Cups, because he doesn't make money off of it. That would be a problem in Brazil, though.

FIFA Asks WCup Host Russia to Explain Anti-Gay Law - ABC News

Old 08-13-2013, 08:17 PM

2,891 posts, read 3,292,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I was reading an article about Russia and those new gay laws they put in place and how it could affect the Olympics and World Cup. Then they brought up Qatar and that I guess it is against the law to be gay. The best part was this:
------------------
Blatter drew criticism soon after the World Cup votes when he suggested that gay soccer fans could "refrain from any sexual activities" while attending the World Cup in the Gulf nation.
------------------
That guy is hilarious...how is he in charge of FIFA? He should just ban sex in general during all World Cups, because he doesn't make money off of it. That would be a problem in Brazil, though.

FIFA Asks WCup Host Russia to Explain Anti-Gay Law - ABC News
I'm sick of the west trying to push it's definition of right and wrong on the rest of the world. it's not your country, your not there to teach them your version of right and wrong, your there to watch the greatest sporting competition on the planet, so respect the laws and customs of the country because in a month you'll be back home.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:37 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,175,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
I'm sick of the west trying to push it's definition of right and wrong on the rest of the world. it's not your country, your not there to teach them your version of right and wrong, your there to watch the greatest sporting competition on the planet, so respect the laws and customs of the country because in a month you'll be back home.
A better idea is to just boycott those 14th century despotic heck holes. Screw respecting & tolerating evil.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:20 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,974,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
A better idea is to just boycott those 14th century despotic heck holes. Screw respecting & tolerating evil.
Don't punish the good, modern people of Russia because of the backward ways of Putin and Co. Russia will get there on gay rights, it's just taking longer.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
So, if there is a law against black, white, or brown people, you would be okay with it? They'll be out in a month anyway...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or