U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 08:28 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,092,276 times

Advertisements

what would be your all time best 11? and include 3 subs aswell since there has been so many great players, and a manager, mines would be -

Peter Schmeichel (Denmark) Roberto Carlos (Brazil) Graham Souness (Scotland) Bobby Moore (England) Cafu (Brazil) Zinedine Zidane (France) Jimmy Johnstone (Scotland) Garrincha (Brazil) Lionel Messi (Argentina) Diego Maradona (Argentina) Pele (Brazil)

subs- Johan Cruyff (Holland) George Best (Nothern Ireland) Alfredo di Stefano (Argentina) Manager- Jock Stein (Scotland)

The three scots in my list were truly world class, not just including them cause im a scot lol they were great, look them up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 01:32 AM

3,250 posts, read 3,143,077 times
Sorry, but there's no way that Jimmy Johnstone was better than George Best or Cruff.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:31 AM

how on earth do you know that? have you seen him play? seriously i know best was a legend, thats why i included him but its my list and you can do your own! jimmy johnstone is celtics greatest ever player and they have had some really amazing players back in the day, look jimmy johnston up, he was a genius, on par with best, in my opinion. anyway johnstone was left wing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol68Kr-Ukf0

Jimmy Johnstone - Celtic's Greatest Ever Player - Lord of the Wing Film Reveiws

Jimmy Johnstone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jimmy Johnstone - Celtic's Greatest Ever Player

Old 03-07-2011, 01:24 AM

Yes I have seen him play! he might have been Celtics best player but he was never considered to be the the best player in the world as Cruyff & Best were in their day.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:39 AM

Actually Johnstone was a RIGHT winger!

Old 03-07-2011, 06:15 AM

''Many people would say that the Red Star match was Jinky’s finest but the wee man’s favourite game was the Alfredo di Stefano testimonial in Madrid against the mighty Real. Celtic had just won the European cup and were invited to play in the match. Johnstone put on a superb show and had the 125,000 Real fans chanting Ole, Ole, every time he went past a man''

''Dubbed the “Flying Flea” by the French press after an inspired display against Nantes in a European Cup tie, Johnstone was a God to the Celtic fans but never quite received the credit for his talent elsewhere in Britain, even after he tormented Leeds in the aggregate victory in the 1970 European Cup semi-final''

''When Johnstone was in his element, bobbing, weaving, ducking and darting, he was poetry in motion and his ability to make defenders, particularly English ones, look ponderous and muscle-bound in their efforts to stymie his inventiveness and creativity, endeared him to football followers everywhere, even Rangers fans. Jimmy Johnstone made 515 appearances for Celtic and scored 129 goals in the process''

he has a place in my heart and i personally think he was up there with the best, so im gonna put him on my list in my team! feel free to do your own though, he played as a striker aswell as inside right, true, but he played most the game switching between left and right, his best performances came when he played on the left wing, against real madrid, leeds and inter etc. and to be celtics best player ever is some feet, trust me. in the 60's they were one of the best teams in the world! hard to accept maybe, but true!

Old 06-16-2013, 08:14 PM

70 posts, read 89,645 times
SOUTH AMERICA

----------------------------------Carrizo(Arg)
--------------------Nasazzi(Uru)--------------------Figueroa(Chi)
Djalma Santos(Bra)-----------------------------------------Nilton Santos(Bra)
---------------------------------Varela(Uru)
Garrincha(Bra)------------Di Stefano(Arg)--------------Maradona(Arg)
----------------------- Messi(Arg) -------------- Pele(Bra)

Subs: Zico, Kempes, Gilmar

Coach: Tele Santana

Old 06-17-2013, 01:21 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,674,265 times
-------------------------------- Buffon (Ita)
---------------- Baresi (Ita) ----------------- Beckenbauer (Ger)
Cafu (Bra) --------------------------------------------------------- Maldini (Ita)
-------------------------------- Rijkaard (Hol)
Best (N-Irl) ------------------- Zidane (Fra) ---------------------- Rivelino (Bra)
---------------- Pele (Bra) ---------------------- Maradona (Arg)

Subs: Van Basten, Laudrup, Matthäus

Coach: Rinus Michels

Old 06-17-2013, 06:31 AM

782 posts, read 936,391 times
-------------------------------- Buffon (Ita)
---------------- Baresi (Ita) ----------------- Beckenbauer (Ger)
Cafu (Bra) --------------------------------------------------------- Maldini (Ita)
-------------------------------- Platini (Fra)
Cruyff (Hol) ------------------- Di Stefano (Arg) ---------------------- Figo (Por)
---------------- Puskas (Hun) ---------------------- Maradona (Arg)

Subs: Muller (Ger), Zico (Bra), Zidane (Fra)

Yes, I left out Pele - he doesn't fit the team I want to build, and I'm not a fan. No Messi, as I need to see him do it more internationally before I place him among the all time greats.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:25 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,307,868 times
------------------------------ Buffon (Ita)
--------------- Cannavaro (Ita) ------------------ Beckebauer (Ger)
Thuram (Fra) --------------------------------------------------- Maldini (Ita)
--------------------Xavi (Esp) ------------- Platini (Fra)
--------------------------- Zidane (Fra)
Ronaldo (Por) ---------------------- Messi (Arg) --------------------- Muller (Ger)

Subs: Leao (Bra), Baresi (Ita), Roberto Carlos (Bra), Cruyff (Hol), Di Stefano (Arg), Pele (Bra), Maradona (Arg)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or