U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-15-2011, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,087,185 times
Reputation: 4092

Advertisements

but if the trialist can't play football to a good quality then they aren't going to be of any use, if you throw him in to a practice match you risk injuring one of your squad players because the guy doesn't have a clue and could go into tackles gung ho, again why bother with it! the cons outweigh the pros for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-15-2011, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,549 posts, read 16,383,531 times
Reputation: 5087
I get that they have trialists. Most of them wont make it I know.
But you put a brute from the NFL in against a player you need and you are scrwed. I dont care how good an athlete you are, if you dont know how to tackle you can hurt people really bad. Now if a team wants it to happen to one of their star players thats cool.

I would expect the trialists to have the skillset of a Football player. For the US that would be college level or a player from USL or another country but he actually plays football. Just because you played 5 or 10 years ago as a kid does not mean you posess such skills and I will never be convinced otherwise unless some dude is some total freak of nature then I will eat humble pie.

Having an NFL player go on trial with your team is nothing but a publicity stunt. Anybody with half a footballing brain will know he wont have the skills to make it. So if your team is that desperate to make the news taht they will give an NFL player a trial that will make me laugh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,743,505 times
Reputation: 2806
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
but if the trialist can't play football to a good quality then they aren't going to be of any use, if you throw him in to a practice match you risk injuring one of your squad players because the guy doesn't have a clue and could go into tackles gung ho, again why bother with it! the cons outweigh the pros for me

Have you ever attended a practice before? You do realize that some players are asked not to tackle and some players are marked not to be tackled for those reasons?

You do realize that there are drills ran that do not involve a soccer ball or drills that are more fitness based than soccer based?

I remember having practices where we didnt touch a soccer ball until we scrimmaged in the last 30 minutes of practice which followed two hours of working on fitness and off-the-ball skills. Professionals do the same thing.

I know you probably are not very familiar with the NFL but Wide Receivers are probably the best athletes in the game. They have speed that is normally unpararelled even in the soccer world. They make runs for a living and their job is deceive the defense.

You could run a drill for your players where the receiver ran routes and the defender is to track the receiver all the way down the field. There would be no contact and it would help develop a sense of tracking a lethally quick player across an entire pitch.

You really shouldnt just shut off your mind to the possibilities. Not everything is so black and white. You could pretty much throw anyone into a practice and make use of them somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,549 posts, read 16,383,531 times
Reputation: 5087
So how do you know if somebody can play if you dont use a ball or they are not allowed to tackle lol

If you are going to give somebody a trial they HAVE to kick a ball and tackle at some stage :S

Just because somebody can run does not mean they can play football. When are you going to get off the great athlete = deserves a trial thing. You need to be a footballer to get a trial. Well obviously not at SKC but at 99% of teams they require a skillset before they give you a trial.

What a team needs is a defender who can track a striker but does not know how to tackle. You still have to get them to kick a ball in the trial and tackle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,743,505 times
Reputation: 2806
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
So how do you know if somebody can play if you dont use a ball or they are not allowed to tackle lol

If you are going to give somebody a trial they HAVE to kick a ball and tackle at some stage :S
Obviously, they will participate in drills that involve a ball but I was referencing your point in that they could possibly hurt someone. You can ban someone from tackling and ban certain people from being tackled like the NFL does in their practices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Just because somebody can run does not mean they can play football. When are you going to get off the great athlete = deserves a trial thing. You need to be a footballer to get a trial. Well obviously not at SKC but at 99% of teams they require a skillset before they give you a trial.
Nobody deserves or doesnt deserve a trial. It has nothing to do with deserving. It is all about mutual need. It's just like when you buy a car. If you find someone selling one you want and you come to an agreement and then you have a mutual agreement that benefits both parties. That is exactly what a trial is many times. It is a mutual agreement between a team and a player. That's what you do not seem to understand. Trials arent black and white. It isnt always a try out. Sometimes it is about a player needing to stay in shape and sharp while seeking another team. Sometimes it is about bringing in a player that has a certain skill set so that your players can learn from or defend that player. I could go on and on.

Someone on here argued that Usain Bolt was brought into the Real Madrid camp to help players with speed. Yet, he went because he wanted to try and make the team. That's mutual relationship benefiting both parties.

You failing to look at this conceptually. Take your blinders off.

You ever hear the thing at the end of TV shows or movies that says, "No animals were harmed in the production of this show."

Well, the Ochocinco trial was the same thing. No one was harmed. It didnt damage anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,087,185 times
Reputation: 4092
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Have you ever attended a practice before? You do realize that some players are asked not to tackle and some players are marked not to be tackled for those reasons?

You do realize that there are drills ran that do not involve a soccer ball or drills that are more fitness based than soccer based?

I remember having practices where we didnt touch a soccer ball until we scrimmaged in the last 30 minutes of practice which followed two hours of working on fitness and off-the-ball skills. Professionals do the same thing.

I know you probably are not very familiar with the NFL but Wide Receivers are probably the best athletes in the game. They have speed that is normally unpararelled even in the soccer world. They make runs for a living and their job is deceive the defense.

You could run a drill for your players where the receiver ran routes and the defender is to track the receiver all the way down the field. There would be no contact and it would help develop a sense of tracking a lethally quick player across an entire pitch.

You really shouldnt just shut off your mind to the possibilities. Not everything is so black and white. You could pretty much throw anyone into a practice and make use of them somehow.
i know how training goes, i was on trial with raith rovers and st johnstone when i was younger, and have played for a number of amature teams, you go full throttle in training, i would say like 30%-ish of injuries are caused on the training field, look how many premier league stars are injured in training often, off the top off my head this year alone, adam johnson, bendtner, ferdinand, mata and navarro at valencia, it happens all the time and a guy who can't play well is just a liability
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,549 posts, read 16,383,531 times
Reputation: 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Obviously, they will participate in drills that involve a ball but I was referencing your point in that they could possibly hurt someone. You can ban someone from tackling and ban certain people from being tackled like the NFL does in their practices.



Nobody deserves or doesnt deserve a trial. It has nothing to do with deserving. It is all about mutual need. It's just like when you buy a car. If you find someone selling one you want and you come to an agreement and then you have a mutual agreement that benefits both parties. That is exactly what a trial is many times. It is a mutual agreement between a team and a player. That's what you do not seem to understand. Trials arent black and white. It isnt always a try out. Sometimes it is about a player needing to stay in shape and sharp while seeking another team. Sometimes it is about bringing in a player that has a certain skill set so that your players can learn from or defend that player. I could go on and on.

Someone on here argued that Usain Bolt was brought into the Real Madrid camp to help players with speed. Yet, he went because he wanted to try and make the team. That's mutual relationship benefiting both parties.

You failing to look at this conceptually. Take your blinders off.

You ever hear the thing at the end of TV shows or movies that says, "No animals were harmed in the production of this show."

Well, the Ochocinco trial was the same thing. No one was harmed. It didnt damage anything.

You cannot give a dude a trial in football without knowing if he can tackle. Unless SKC operates the opposite way to every other team in the world.

I have had trials and was a coach and I cant remember a single time when we gave somebody a trial and said dont tackle. Its impossible.

I dont have blinders on, just because I dont agree with you does not mean I have blinders on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 10:11 PM
 
Location: South FL
5,426 posts, read 6,394,732 times
Reputation: 3446
Keep it up Ocho, stay in shape until the NFL season (if there is any) starts .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top