U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 04:30 PM

7,552 posts, read 16,408,342 times

Advertisements

I did dude
Least I think I did, if not I am old and losing it ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 05:11 PM

115 posts, read 213,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
Toronto FC
FC Dallas
Seattle Sounders FC

In America you call it soccer so why do they have FC in their names?
I think Seattle Sounders FC, FC Dallas, and Toronto FC are trying to be more European by naming their soccer teams that way. Maybe they're just being traditional.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:50 PM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,212,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R View Post
I think Seattle Sounders FC, FC Dallas, and Toronto FC are trying to be more European by naming their soccer teams that way. Maybe they're just being traditional.
That's sort of the point I was getting across. Also, my point was that American clubs should brand their OWN traditional names and stop trying to be like Europe.

I think I may have offended some with that...

Old 03-26-2011, 05:42 AM

13 posts, read 14,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
???

- Never said I was a soccer fan.
- What does it matter?
- You did read the ENTIRE post, right?
Yes, I read the ENTIRE post.

LOL

I glad to see you have a great sense of humor to make question like that!!!

LOL

Old 03-26-2011, 05:43 PM

115 posts, read 213,599 times
Quote:
That's sort of the point I was getting across. Also, my point was that American clubs should brand their OWN traditional names and stop trying to be like Europe.

I think I may have offended some with that...
The last response you posted was a bit harsh but it's cool though. It was just your opinion. Maybe it would only be right for some American soccer teams to be called SC Dallas, Seattle Sounders SC, and etc.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:13 PM

2,857 posts, read 3,946,759 times
Quote:
In fact, here's how I think the club names would (or should) look like had they stuck with that format for ALL clubs in the MLS ....

- Red Bull New York ===> New York Red Bulls (who didn't see this comin'?)
The New York club is owned by the company 'Red Bull', which makes that energy drink 'Red Bull'. They also own a club in Austria (Red Bull Salzburg). So, the name of the club really could be 'Red Bull New York', NOT New York Red Bulls. It is the Red Bull (owned) club of New York. But, if they want a different name, so what?

Why do U.S. sport teams need to be plurals of anything?

I think that FC is just fine; I have been using 'futbol' for the name of the sport for many years now, not that British-coined term 'soccer' (from Association Football, which became Assoc. Football, and then soccer).

The only peeve I had (notice, past tense) was with the Salt Lake City (Sandy, Utah) club using a Spanish word 'Re-al' in their name. It means 'Royal'. So, who's the royalty: King and Queen of Utah? But, hey, I can live with it. They are using royal blue in their kit and representing MSL quite well in the CONCACAF champions league so I will support no matter what name they use.

This is not unusual. There are 'Arsenal' and 'Barcelona' clubs down in South America that were started, probably, by Brits and Spaniards, who moved there to work and wanted a bit a' England or Spain in their new homes. Likewise, Athletic Club of Bilbao (Spain) copied the red-and-white vertical stripes of Southhampton (or was it Sunderland?) because Brit expats from those areas started the club. After a while, people forget about the oddness and accept it.

Last edited by Teak; 04-23-2011 at 07:22 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 10:41 PM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,212,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
The New York club is owned by the company 'Red Bull', which makes that energy drink 'Red Bull'. They also own a club in Austria (Red Bull Salzburg). So, the name of the club really could be 'Red Bull New York', NOT New York Red Bulls. It is the Red Bull (owned) club of New York. But, if they want a different name, so what?

Why do U.S. sport teams need to be plurals of anything?

I think that FC is just fine; I have been using 'futbol' for the name of the sport for many years now, not that British-coined term 'soccer' (from Association Football, which became Assoc. Football, and then soccer).

I'm not saying they SHOULD change the name. I'm saying that's what it would be had the MLS made it manditory for the clubs to have the American/Canadian naming system. There's no need, it's just the way it is.
And you don't have to mention the origin of the word soccer. That has been beaten into the ground on this fourm..... partially by me.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,586 times
are we serious? kids are getting defensive and ****... I'm pretty sure american teams are using "FC" to seem more authentic. Salt lake city's team even uses "Real" in their name, which is a spanish royal designation. Doubt they were royally chartered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or