U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 09:53 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,392,934 times

Advertisements

I hate both Rangers and Celtic fans anyway, bunch of braindead tools mostly.
I am not offended at games, I just wanted to point out that Fenian is just a general word of insult not just what was pointed out above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 09:17 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,423,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
well if you are going to write a comment like that at least state how it is in any way racist! stupid, stupid comment
Yeah, go sing Billy Boys at a match, see what happens to you. Youll end up facing charges, booted from club matches, and before the cops arrive youll probably be bruised and bloodied, too, if any Catholics are around who took offense. Speaking of stupid comments, sings point to yours as being completely ignorant.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Which suggests that context is everything. So a bunch of Rangers supporters - most of whom never go near a church - singing it at a bunch of Celtic supporters - most of whom never go near a church either - is hardly going to offend their religious sensibilities.
Hmmm, I dont recall any supporters singing during the Troubles, do you? This goes way deeper than a few football chants. For some idiotic fans, there is deep-rooted hatred on both sides, and singing Billy Boys is not only outlawed, its extremely offensive to Catholics.

I suggest you watch the series "Scotlands Secret Shame" on the BBC/YouTube for some serious insight into the plague that affects Old Firm matches.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:48 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,095,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Yeah, go sing Billy Boys at a match, see what happens to you. Youll end up facing charges, booted from club matches, and before the cops arrive youll probably be bruised and bloodied, too, if any Catholics are around who took offense. Speaking of stupid comments, sings point to yours as being completely ignorant.
the song i posted wasn't billy boys, so back up, calm down and stop writing stupid comments. i don't think you have any clue what goes on here in scotland, except maybe watching a few videos, so hardly think you are qualified to comment if i am honest

Old 04-03-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
the song i posted wasn't billy boys, so back up, calm down and stop writing stupid comments. i don't think you have any clue what goes on here in scotland, except maybe watching a few videos, so hardly think you are qualified to comment if i am honest
To think your little song you posted isnt related to the racist Billy Boys song is, hands down, the most stupid comment here so far. If you disagree with what Ive said so far, Id like to point out that the Billy Boys song is indeed racist, and subjected to legal punishment if sung aloud at matches. Pretty sad that some guy several thousand miles away knows more about your club song's roots and laws pertaining to outlawing it than some guy that actually lives in Scotland.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:58 PM

haha whatever, you are delusional, get a grip you don't have a clue about sectarianism in scotland, so don't act like you do, the song may be sung in the same tune as billy boys but the lyrics are different and not racist.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:33 AM

1,634 posts, read 3,272,204 times
I would suggest that you not pursue this any further Steve-o as paull805 is 100% correct.

Only the words are banned, not the actual melody. The melody for the billy boys song actually belongs to an old US Civil War song called "marching through Georgia" and it is used as a base melody by other teams for similar songs.

ie : Hello, Hello we are the Busby Boy's for Man United

Old 04-04-2011, 08:59 AM

thank you berncohomes for bringing some sanity back to the thread!

Old 04-04-2011, 09:39 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,337,177 times
Quote:
Hmmm, I dont recall any supporters singing during the Troubles, do you? This goes way deeper than a few football chants. For some idiotic fans, there is deep-rooted hatred on both sides, and singing Billy Boys is not only outlawed, its extremely offensive to Catholics.

I suggest you watch the series "Scotlands Secret Shame" on the BBC/YouTube for some serious insight into the plague that affects Old Firm matches.
Not true. I started going to games in the mid 1960s and it was part of the regular repertoire then and continued going forward. Not just that but there were far more offensive songs whose use has died out over time. In fact, the incidence of sectarianism is far less today than it was in those days (see Sectarianism in Scotland by Prof. Bruce) yet the sense of "offence" seems to increase in inverse proportion to the reality of the problem.

Scotland's "secret" shame is not sectarianism which is declining despite the existence of religiously segregated schools, but rather atrocious public health, inner city decay and the lack of economic opportunity. Those are the reasons that pushed so many of us to leave.

Last edited by Jaggy001; 04-04-2011 at 09:55 AM..

Old 04-04-2011, 09:46 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,337,177 times
Quote:
To think your little song you posted isnt related to the racist Billy Boys song is, hands down, the most stupid comment here so far. If you disagree with what Ive said so far, Id like to point out that the Billy Boys song is indeed racist, and subjected to legal punishment if sung aloud at matches. Pretty sad that some guy several thousand miles away knows more about your club song's roots and laws pertaining to outlawing it than some guy that actually lives in Scotland.
First of all, you are confusing "racist" with "sectarian". Secondly, the Billy Boys was banned by UEFA not by the SFA or by the police and that ban was pretty well accepted by most Rangers supporters. There is no specific legal ruling against it; the charge - if any - for singing it would be Breach of the Peace with sectarian (not racist) aggravation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer