Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 08:13 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohsocool View Post
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Juventus and Inter.

Most supported clubs in Italy, both have never been relegated (until Juve was caught in that match-fixing scandal), and the matches between them are fierce.
True: Juventus - Inter Milan is the classic in the Serie A: the Derby d'Italia .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 03:58 PM

782 posts, read 1,105,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
True: Juventus - Inter Milan is the classic in the Serie A: the Derby d'Italia .
No it's not. Not even close. It has more effect on the top of the table most years, and it is big, but Lazio-Roma is clearly larger/more passionate/has more history and is considered a larger derby in basically all respects.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:53 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
No it's not. Not even close. It has more effect on the top of the table most years, and it is big, but Lazio-Roma is clearly larger/more passionate/has more history and is considered a larger derby in basically all respects.
Yeah, you're probably right. But I'm a bit biased, as I have Italian friends who are passionate Juve-fans and they truly despise Inter .

Old 07-14-2013, 01:06 AM

125 posts, read 286,757 times
Rangers vs Celtic - the fans are not only divided by country but by religion also. Cops have to stand several layers deep to keep each others fans away.

Barcelona vs Real Madrid - culture differences and always the best two clubs in Spain

Leeds vs Sheffield (either United or Wednesday) - they simply hate each other. Last year, a Leeds fan ran into the field and punched out the goalie for Sheffield Wednesday in the face. Then throw in that the ECL is the hooligan division when you throw in Birmingham, Milwall, and other thugs.

Everton vs Liverpool - the battle of Mercyside

Old 07-20-2013, 04:25 PM

752 posts, read 1,164,779 times
If you think in terms of violence biggest rivalries was Dinamo and Hajduk vs Red Star and Partizan. Today it is not so bad because they mitt seldom and no away fans. In 80ties at radio would be directions for transport visiting fans and any one who will come one block close to that streets would be arrested or bitten or both. After such one game Dinamo-Red Star former Yugoslavia fall apart. Countless people was killed, stabbed, disabled and so in 80ties. But such tings are not something any one should be proud of then symptoms of something wrong.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:47 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
I was watching a documentary about the Paris St Germain v Marseille rivalry - never know it was that fierce.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:23 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,617,606 times
Dony did a big list in the biggest rivalries but I think there are other 'lower' leagues in countries where if a team loses to one particular one the sinks and toilets come out!!...;-)...I mean who does Rushden and Diamonds hate?..;-)...btw I love the FA cup. Thrills and spills.
Can't happen here in the US!

Old 06-28-2014, 04:37 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
I was watching a documentary about the Paris St Germain v Marseille rivalry - never know it was that fierce.
Paris represents the upper class and Marseille is the largely immigrant working class.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:09 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,623 times
Barca vs real
Chivas vs America
Boca vs River Plate
Man U vs Chelsea
Inter Vs Juve
PSG vs Marseille
PSV Vs Ajax
Brazil vs Argentina
Mexico vs USA
Mexico vs Brazil
Uruguay vs Brazil
Bayern Munich vs Borussia
Flamengo vs Fluminense

Old 06-29-2014, 05:46 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
Barca vs real
PSV Vs Ajax
Bayern Munich vs Borussia
Ajax's main rival is Feyenoord and is considered the biggest rivalry in The Netherlands, while PSV comes on second place.

I think Borussia Dortmund's main, or "first", rival is Schalke in most peoples minds, especially when they are geographically so close.

Some football travellers have said that the Belgrade Eternal Derby (Partizan - Red Star) is maybe the most mindblowing in Europe. The smell of violence and hatred is so fierce that you can't get the same feeling in many other places. Or maybe tied with Fenerbahçe - Galatasaray. Olympiakos - Panathinaikos is another worth mentioning.

Some that haven't been mentioned at all, and definitely worth mentioning include

Steaua Bucharest - Dinamo Bucharest
Spartak Moscow - Dynamo Moscow
Dynamo Kiev - Shakhtar Donetsk
Austria Vienna - Rapid Vienna
FC Copenhagen - Brøndby

Nowadays most fierce rivalries are in countries that haven't battled hooliganism very seriously, like Turkey, Greece, Russia, Serbia etc... Nothing wrong with the Arsenal - Tottenham rivalry, but there's a "minor" diffence in a adidas-trackpants drug addict derby and a shrimp sandwich in a VIP box derby. Not that I support violence in football (or anywhere else for that matter).

Finland - Sweden could be mentioned, because it extends to all sports, not only football. And the rivalry starts to build up at a young age, as usually the first junior international match is against Sweden (when you're 15).

Oh, I forgot. Armenia - Azerbaijan must be the most fierce. UEFA even prohibits them playing against each other as it's a potential war-starter.

HJK Helsinki - IFK Helsinki is probably one of the most stupid derbies. The clubs haven't even been in the same league for 40 years and the IFK fans attacked a HJK fan bar just a week ago!

Last edited by Ariete; 06-29-2014 at 06:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer