U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 11:27 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,099,264 times

Advertisements

Celtic and Rangers fans don't kill each other? I suggest you do a bit of research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 09:49 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,397,409 times
Dont they sit around and drink tea while talking about how awesome the Queen is ?

Old 03-20-2012, 11:17 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,308,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Dont they sit around and drink tea while talking about how awesome the Queen is ?

Why dont you leave the football to the Europeans kid. Your last comment just shows how much you really know about the beautiful game.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:33 PM

He is Irish and seems to be more knowledgeable about the game than you, your previous 3 posts in this thread have been plain false!

1. Liverpool v Man United isn't the biggest rivalry in the world, the UK or even England.

2. The Celtic v Rangers rivalry causes chaos around Scotland and Northern Ireland and yes people are actually murdered because of the rivalry. There were more than 200 crimes of violence and disorder in the area after an earlier Rangers-Celtic game in February last year.

Rangers fan admits kicking Celtic fan to death in kebab shop - The Daily Record

http://www.channel4.com/news/future-...e-put-in-doubt

BBC News - Neil Lennon parcel bomb 'cowardly act'

BBC News | UK | The bitter divide

KILLED BY SCUM; OLD FIRM MURDER Catholic beaten to death by rampaging loyalists after Rangers win. - Free Online Library

3. He is European.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:57 PM

" Only last month, dozens of football fans were arrested on the day of the troubled Old Firm league derby on 2 May, during which several Celtic fans invaded the pitch and the match referee was struck by a coin.

Other, even more serious, incidents have hit the headlines in recent times:
A 16-year-old man wearing a Celtic strip was killed near Hampden Park after the Scottish Cup Final on Saturday
In 1996 Jason Campbell was jailed for life for slashing the throat of a young Celtic fan. And last year Thomas Longstaff, 26, was jailed for 10 years for attacking another Celtic supporter "

This isn't just a rivalry like Man United - Liverpool, it is deep rooted, woven into society. Violence across Scotland soars 4 or 5 fold after an old firm match and in Northern Ireland to. It is stupid and shouldn't happen, but it does therefore is the most bitter rivalry in world football alongside the Cairo derby of Al Ahly and Zamalek, Real Madrid and Barcelona and a few others.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:19 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,397,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Why dont you leave the football to the Europeans kid. Your last comment just shows how much you really know about the beautiful game.
I am from Ireland which is located in Europe. Not sure if you know where it is or not. Far from a kid too.

I happen to know a lot, big fan of football and have traveled far and near for domestic, UEFA and Champions League football.

Good to see you cant pick up on sarcasm on the net when it is painted in big bright colours like the post you quoted =)

Old 03-21-2012, 08:15 AM

7,148 posts, read 7,979,992 times
the biggest football rivalry has to be glasgow rangers v glasgow celtic , we,ve often heard of friendly rivalrys , this is one is anything but , its got religon , politics , you name it , people have been murdered at derbys down the years

Old 03-21-2012, 08:18 AM

7,148 posts, read 7,979,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzro View Post
Celtic-Rangers is not only the biggest rivalry in football, it's possibly the largest in all of world sport. Also Man United's biggest premiership rival is, without question, not Arsenal.
arsenals biggest rival is traditionally tottenham

Old 03-21-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
He is Irish and seems to be more knowledgeable about the game than you, your previous 3 posts in this thread have been plain false!

1. Liverpool v Man United isn't the biggest rivalry in the world, the UK or even England.

2. The Celtic v Rangers rivalry causes chaos around Scotland and Northern Ireland and yes people are actually murdered because of the rivalry. There were more than 200 crimes of violence and disorder in the area after an earlier Rangers-Celtic game in February last year.

Rangers fan admits kicking Celtic fan to death in kebab shop - The Daily Record

Future of 'Old Firm' fixture put in doubt - Channel 4 News

BBC News - Neil Lennon parcel bomb 'cowardly act'

BBC News | UK | The bitter divide

KILLED BY SCUM; OLD FIRM MURDER Catholic beaten to death by rampaging loyalists after Rangers win. - Free Online Library

3. He is European.

What is up with you people. You look at who gets killed or beaten up and you call it a rivalry. I say Liverpool v Man Utd is the biggest rivalry because of what is repersents. The two biggest greatest clubs in the best league in the world only a few miles apart from each other. Man Utd have won 19 league titles to Liverpools 18. That makes it even better that the medals are so close to each other in the league and in the cups. The two clubs have had some great moments and we truly hate each other. The difference between us and Celtic and Rangers is that we learned that it is stupid going around killing each other because its not about what happens off the pitch but rather what happens on the pitch. Celtic and Rangers is a rivalry of religion but it is still a rivalry and too be fair to us all it is a matter of opinion so we should not start fighting about this.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I am from Ireland which is located in Europe. Not sure if you know where it is or not. Far from a kid too.

I happen to know a lot, big fan of football and have traveled far and near for domestic, UEFA and Champions League football.

Good to see you cant pick up on sarcasm on the net when it is painted in big bright colours like the post you quoted =)

Of course I know where Ireland is. I ****ing live there. I dont want to get into a fight with you over which rivalry is bigger because we are just going to disagree. Oh yeah and your post was not in big bright colours by the way. Believe me mate I spend thousands a year on my team and its not just European nights its PL and all the cups aswell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer