U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:06 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,096,426 times

Advertisements

Well we will agree to disagree, yes I know it is pathetic that people get killed because a football match but that doesn't change the fact that it happens. Then you have to delve into the reasons why it happens religion, politics, culture, upbringing, pure hatred etc, To settle this from me I would say Barcelona v Real Madrid is the BIGGEST rivalry in football and that the Glasgow derby between Celtic v Rangers and the Cairo derby between Al Ahly and Zamalek are the BITTEREST rivalries in football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 09:13 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,308,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Well we will agree to disagree, yes I know it is pathetic that people get killed because a football match but that doesn't change the fact that it happens. Then you have to delve into the reasons why it happens religion, politics, culture, upbringing, pure hatred etc, To settle this from me I would say Barcelona v Real Madrid is the BIGGEST rivalry in football and that the Glasgow derby between Celtic v Rangers and the Cairo derby between Al Ahly and Zamalek are the BITTEREST rivalries in football.

My honest honest answer to the question of the biggest rivalry is there is'nt one. First of all what do you call a football rivalry. Do you base it on people being killed or success or religion or geography. It all depends on what you personally call a rivalry.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:14 AM

The history of the rivalry between the two clubs has its basis in sectarian animosity, either on a Catholic (Celtic) versus Protestant (Rangers) divide or tied around the politics of Northern Ireland, pitting Loyalist against Republican sympathies. As a consequence the rivalry did not gather its modern spice until after 1912 as the problems in Ireland escalated. Rarely will a St Andrews flag be seen at Ibrox or Celtic Park as over the years they have been replaced with the more politically-symbolic Union Jack and Irish tricolore. Since the Second World War only three players have appeared for both clubs, the most recent being Kenny Miller, Scotland's current captain. A 1980 fixture between the two sides saw the worst-ever reported pitch invasion at a football match, as fans had an on-pitch battle at the National Stadium Hampden Park, following Celtic's 1-0 win in the Scottish Cup Final.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:17 AM

Continued - This led directly to the banning of alcohol in Scottish grounds on match days. One of the four fixtures between the clubs in 1998 saw perhaps the most inflammatory gesture from a player towards opposition fans ever. England's Paul Gascoigne mimicked playing the flute, a Loyalist image, to the Catholic Celtic faithful, causing outrage amongst fans in the ground and those watching the game live at home. The player was fined 20,000. In 1999 missiles were thrown on to the pitch during a derby at Celtic Park, striking the referee Hugh Dallas and leading to the game to be stopped whilst he received treatment. At least four fans came on the pitch that day to directly confront the referee. This led to Old Firm games being arranged as early evening kick-offs, where possible, and an avoidance of Firm games being title deciders. 2011 and the cells were full up in Glasgow after February's clash between the two teams, with some arrested individuals being taken as far away as 50 miles to be detained.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:22 AM

I know what I think a rivalry is an Celtic v Rangers ticks all the boxes IMO they are the 2 most successful teams in Scotland so your Liverpool v Man United logic that the rivalry is huge because they are the 2 most successful teams in England applies to Celtic v Rangers also.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I know what I think a rivalry is an Celtic v Rangers ticks all the boxes IMO they are the 2 most successful teams in Scotland so your Liverpool v Man United logic that the rivalry is huge because they are the 2 most successful teams in England applies to Celtic v Rangers also.

Yes you are right in saying that but at the end of the day its all about what your opinion is. You think its Celtic and Rangers and that is totally fine and I think its Liverpool and Utd. Just out of interest, who are you up for Celtic or Rangers.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:55 AM

I support Dundee FC, and don't really like the Glasgow sides but I am under no illusions that the Glasgow derby is massive.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:40 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,394,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Of course I know where Ireland is. I ****ing live there. I dont want to get into a fight with you over which rivalry is bigger because we are just going to disagree. Oh yeah and your post was not in big bright colours by the way. Believe me mate I spend thousands a year on my team and its not just European nights its PL and all the cups aswell.
Chill bro, no need to be mad. My post was extremely sarcastic and everybody on the forums got it except you.

Nobody is fighting, hell I haven't even chimed in much on this thread at all :|

Celtic vs Rangers is one of the biggest rivalries in football, it has it all. It has history of great games plus all the BS that Celtic and Rangers fans cant let go. They are fun to watch as an outsider. Personally all I would use either of their colours for is wiping my feet on em.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Chill bro, no need to be mad. My post was extremely sarcastic and everybody on the forums got it except you.
Alright mate thats fine. No hard feelings but are you sure you are Irish because I have never heard an Irishman say Chill bro.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I support Dundee FC, and don't really like the Glasgow sides but I am under no illusions that the Glasgow derby is massive.

I am the same with you. Everyone over here says they are Celtic mad but the truth is I could not give a **** about Celtic or Rangers. All I care about is Liverpool FC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer