U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2012, 11:46 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,310,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete MUFC View Post
So, are you nervous now John? Only the thought of Man Utd being closer to the #20 makes you angry, huh?
City 3 - Sunderland 3.
Was it a penalty for City then? I say no way, but somebody here raving about referees favor Man Utd all the time.
Well, look better and you will see that those things happened all the time.
And, yeah, in the build up for the second City goal there was a foul near goal out line for Sunderland when they tried to clear the ball out. Look good (you John) and tell me it is only Man Utd getting decisions their way.
City players pressured the ref throughout the game.

And I still say Utd were never interested in Europa League. And that's a fact.

Alright listen now because this is really getting on my nerves. Stop trying to twist my words. I never said that knowone else gets decisions from the referee, what I said was that Man Utd get a lot of decisions a lot of the time. I never said that knowone else does'nt. Understand that. I also never said that Liverpool are better then Man Utd. All I said was that Liverpool are the greatest team to come out of England success wise. It does not mean they are better then them it just means they have won more major trophies. You need to understand that too. No I am not nervous or angry about Man Utd winning their 20th league title which has not happend yet by the way so dont get too cocky. I hope it will give Liverpool a push. Oh and once again you cannot say Man Utd did not want to win the Europa League. They were beaten by a better team on the day who were up for it more. That does not mean Man Utd did not want to win it so please stop making excuses. You were beaten so face it. We were beaten by Wigan and I had to face that. Get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Just because you live in Ireland and can "swim" to Liverpool, doesn't make you more knowledgeable about football.
I grew up in Europe watching football since I know of myself, being at tons of games either. I even played for a local team for a while. So, do I know more football than you than?
You may know the culture of the British/Irish more, and that is Ok as you live there.
Why do you think all Americans just pick their clubs and they don't even know the club's players?
You think there are no such fans in Europe?

Once again twisting my words. I was replying to a comment that said half of Ireland were glory hunting fans which is a lie. Most Americans I have met dont have a clue anout football but say they support Man Utd. Americans are known for that in Europe. Its fine because football is not as big in America as it is in Europe. No it does not mean you know more about football then me because it depends on how often you watch games and follow your team. I am not saying I know more then you but to be fair the time of the matches suit us better then you guys because they are in our time zone. For example I will be at home back from work on Monday night sitting down relaxing watching the Utd v Blackburn game like most other people watching the game in Europe. In America most of the Man Utd fans will still be in work and wont be able to watch the game. It suits us better to be fair but that does not mean we know more then you and if I am honest I do think I know more about football then you if you think that the Charity Shield is a major trophy to win. Let me ask you this. How much do you spend on watching your team and going to see your team play. I spend thousands every year and it makes me very angry when people call me a glory hunting arm chair Liverpool fan when the truth is I spend more money on my team then they do. I am not calling you a glory hunter but only the ones who dont have a clue about the team.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:51 PM

921 posts, read 911,405 times
Ok, let me get this straight.

First, I never said anything about Charity/Community Shield, OK?
I know it is only an honor game, the season opener and not really important one, not even as Carling Cup. It is more like a friendly. I do not count this trophy and never said that Utd have more overall trophies than Pool. We have more League titles, 19 vs 18, more FA cups 11 vs 7, you have more League Cups 8 vs Utd's 4 and more CL, 5 vs 3 and i can't count the UEFA, Cup winners cup, Intercontinental and so on and so forth now.

Second, yes, you sure do spend a lot more money as you live there and you can go to the games, follow your team more closely. I never said that I actually spend more than you do.

Third, I watch football as much as I can. When I move to the states the first thing I asked my local cable provider was if I can get soccer (they called it soccer here you know) channels.
You can't get the football/soccer games for free on over the air TV channels, not even in your basic cable or satellite packages. You will be surprised how much they charge in order to get this channels. They are either included in the upper/more expensive TV packages along with hundreds of crap channels you never need, or you should buy sports package (as with Comcast )for as little as $10 month, but you should have some other TV package and not basic cable in order to be able to get this package available to you. So, I spent quite a few $ to get to watch some football and that's on TV only.
I used to get up 6.00 in the morning and watch football all day long. But when my son was born few years ago the time left to watch football was limited due to other activities , so I try to at least follow Man Utd games. I still wake up at 6.00 on Saturdays to watch a game while he still sleeps.
And I like Monday games as they are available on espn3.com so if I have a chance I watch some Monday football from my office. See, I spend some time watching football too.

So, I am not trying to twist your words, just letting you know that I do know something about the sport. And not all Americans are Utd fans. There are a lot that support Man Utd, but that is understandable as Utd are the biggest FC in the world. There are many that support Chelsea, City, Pool, Arsenal, Spurs...I even know some Villa fans. You are talking too general when it comes to Americans and the soccer. They have their other sports that they are more interested in and that's Ok. So don't expect from most of Americans to be football/soccer crazy.

And I didn't say Utd will win the 20th, I said they're now closer and in better position than few weeks ago.
If you read my other post I said Blackburn game will be very very tough given the circumstances after today's results. There will be twists and turns that for sure, but Utd are in better position now.

Oh, and enough about the Europa League. I am not crying about I am happy we are out seriously. I never try to find excuses, as a matter of fact I was the first one to say that Fulham deserved penalty, never denied something like that. I want the game fair and square.
So, was it a penalty for City today?
Was it foul on Sunderland player in the build up of the second goal?
I say NO pen, yes foul in the build up. What do you say?

Last edited by Pete MUFC; 03-31-2012 at 01:01 PM..

Old 03-31-2012, 03:05 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,891,880 times
Solid win and a big win for Chelsea up in Birmingham today. After squandering the 2-0 lead in the span of 3 minutes, they came right back and Torres even had a nice goal.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Ok, let me get this straight.

First, I never said anything about Charity/Community Shield, OK?
I know it is only an honor game, the season opener and not really important one, not even as Carling Cup. It is more like a friendly. I do not count this trophy and never said that Utd have more overall trophies than Pool. We have more League titles, 19 vs 18, more FA cups 11 vs 7, you have more League Cups 8 vs Utd's 4 and more CL, 5 vs 3 and i can't count the UEFA, Cup winners cup, Intercontinental and so on and so forth now.

Second, yes, you sure do spend a lot more money as you live there and you can go to the games, follow your team more closely. I never said that I actually spend more than you do.

Third, I watch football as much as I can. When I move to the states the first thing I asked my local cable provider was if I can get soccer (they called it soccer here you know) channels.
You can't get the football/soccer games for free on over the air TV channels, not even in your basic cable or satellite packages. You will be surprised how much they charge in order to get this channels. They are either included in the upper/more expensive TV packages along with hundreds of crap channels you never need, or you should buy sports package (as with Comcast )for as little as $10 month, but you should have some other TV package and not basic cable in order to be able to get this package available to you. So, I spent quite a few $ to get to watch some football and that's on TV only.
I used to get up 6.00 in the morning and watch football all day long. But when my son was born few years ago the time left to watch football was limited due to other activities , so I try to at least follow Man Utd games. I still wake up at 6.00 on Saturdays to watch a game while he still sleeps.
And I like Monday games as they are available on espn3.com so if I have a chance I watch some Monday football from my office. See, I spend some time watching football too.

So, I am not trying to twist your words, just letting you know that I do know something about the sport. And not all Americans are Utd fans. There are a lot that support Man Utd, but that is understandable as Utd are the biggest FC in the world. There are many that support Chelsea, City, Pool, Arsenal, Spurs...I even know some Villa fans. You are talking too general when it comes to Americans and the soccer. They have their other sports that they are more interested in and that's Ok. So don't expect from most of Americans to be football/soccer crazy.

And I didn't say Utd will win the 20th, I said they're now closer and in better position than few weeks ago.
If you read my other post I said Blackburn game will be very very tough given the circumstances after today's results. There will be twists and turns that for sure, but Utd are in better position now.

Oh, and enough about the Europa League. I am not crying about I am happy we are out seriously. I never try to find excuses, as a matter of fact I was the first one to say that Fulham deserved penalty, never denied something like that. I want the game fair and square.
So, was it a penalty for City today?
Was it foul on Sunderland player in the build up of the second goal?
I say NO pen, yes foul in the build up. What do you say?
I am not talking about you when I say American glory hunters. Fair enough if you watch and follow the games. I am talking about the ones who say they support a club when they dont have a clue who even plays for them. I personally think Real Madrid is the biggest football club in the world but I dont follow any of that crap because it does not matter. Yes its a nice title to have but it is false. The reason they are the biggest club in the world is because about 85% of their followers are all glory hunting fans who dont watch or give a **** about them. Its like that with all of our clubs. They really come from America and Asia. Just out of interest, where do you come from if you are not American.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:15 PM

1,634 posts, read 3,276,921 times
Quote:
Well, they snatched a late draw, but still not bad for Utd. Tough game it will be on Monday. Look at the other results today, QPR, Bolton and Wigan all won, piling pressure on Blackburn.
But on the other hand Arsenal lost, so it will be even tougher for City to go there and win. Arsenal will badly need 3 points for themselves too in fight for CL place.
What a game that is shaping up to be.
I take full responsibility for jinxing that result, I spoke too soon when they were still 3-1 up.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:22 PM

1,634 posts, read 3,276,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
I am not talking about you when I say American glory hunters.
I think he is talking about me.

Funnily enough I only know one other United fan in this town, everyone else I come across is a Chelsea (surprisingly enough all their lives too) Real Madrid, Barcelona, AC Milan fan, plus all the Mexican league fans.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:52 PM

921 posts, read 911,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Just out of interest, where do you come from if you are not American.
Somewhere in Southeast Europe.

Being at a dozen Partizan Belgrade - Red Star Belgrade derby games back in the 90's and early 2000's when it was crazy in that part of the world.
Stopped going to those games when Red Star fan was killed with a flare that Partizan fans threw from from the opposite stand and I am/was Partizan fan.
Paul included this derby in the other thread of worlds most famous football derby games. I am not following it much today, but here is how it was before...

135 derbi gol !!! - YouTube

Old 04-01-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
I think he is talking about me.

Nope I am not talking about you either. If you watch the games and keep track of the team and know your stuff then you are a true fan. I am talking about the ones who dont know anything about the game in general but call themselves Man Utd, Liverpool, Real Madrid and especially Chelsea fans. I bet you willl see more Man City fans walking about in a few years. I have an uncle who lives only down the road and only last year I found out he was a life long Man City fan.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:30 AM

Some awful decisions by the referee. We should of had a penalty for handball which should of also resulted in a red card. The second goal was offside and then to top it off Reina was sent off when he did'nt even hit the chap. If that was Suarez who went down ike that it would of been a different story and he would of been getting a lot of stick from everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer