U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-22-2012, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,549 posts, read 16,383,531 times
Reputation: 5087

Advertisements

Matt LeTissier was fantastic to watch! Some of his moves were just magical and he was super loyal too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-22-2012, 03:12 PM
 
921 posts, read 909,275 times
Reputation: 96
Oh, come on John, share your story with us, don't be afraid of one utd fan for once .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2012, 03:25 PM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,307,110 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete MUFC View Post
Oh, come on John, share your story with us, don't be afraid of one utd fan for once .
Ok Pete. I will do it for you. My uncle used to play for the Southampton youth team and played with the senior team and trained with Matt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2012, 08:33 PM
 
921 posts, read 909,275 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Ok Pete. I will do it for you. My uncle used to play for the Southampton youth team and played with the senior team and trained with Matt.
What is his name? I watched Soton games when Matt was playing, so I know a few players...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2012, 12:30 PM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,307,110 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete MUFC View Post
What is his name? I watched Soton games when Matt was playing, so I know a few players...
So you watched a load of youth games back when Matt was coming through. Ok. His name is Darren Stanley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2012, 12:32 PM
 
921 posts, read 909,275 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
So you watched a load of youth games back when Matt was coming through. Ok. His name is Darren Stanley.
You said he played with Soton senior team....where Matt trained. So, no, I didn't watch Soton youth games, I watched their games in EPL when Matt was playing.
Is Darren still playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Ok Pete. I will do it for you. My uncle used to play for the Southampton youth team and played with the senior team and trained with Matt.

Last edited by Pete MUFC; 05-23-2012 at 12:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2012, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Purgatory
2,663 posts, read 4,537,494 times
Reputation: 3043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
Something else entirely, but while I was looking up lists of the Premier League's all time greats, very regularly (well, nearly all the time) the name of Matthew Le Tissier popped up. I never saw him play (not even on TV), but after seeing some YouTube-vids, i sure wish i did. What a player, what a phenomenal talent! I cannot believe he was only selected eight times for the English national team! Anybody ever seen this guy play live?
Le Tissier was great, but perhaps what held him back was staying loyal to Southampton FC rather than moving to a bigger club. Also, England coaches past and present have tended to not pick players with flair. Joe Cole is a more recent example of this - a guy who has shone at Lille this season.

I've only seen him play live on television and he was always a joy to watch. It's very rare that England produces such talent. If anything, more of the flaired players of the last couple of decades have been Welsh (Giggs, Bale, Ramsey).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2012, 01:08 PM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,307,110 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete MUFC View Post
You said he played with Soton senior team....where Matt trained. So, no, I didn't watch Soton youth games, I watched their games in EPL when Matt was playing.
Is Darren still playing?
Well I apologize Pete when I said he played with the senior team. He trained with them but he never played a competitve game for them. He doesn't play football anymore. He let women get in the way when he was younger. He could of been great but had the wrong attitude. He then moved to London and got a job and lives a normal life like the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2012, 01:14 PM
 
921 posts, read 909,275 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Well I apologize Pete when I said he played with the senior team. He trained with them but he never played a competitve game for them. He doesn't play football anymore. He let women get in the way when he was younger. He could of been great but had the wrong attitude. He then moved to London and got a job and lives a normal life like the rest of us.
Ah, women.....one can only imagine how great he would've become
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2012, 01:17 PM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,307,110 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete MUFC View Post
Ah, women.....one can only imagine how great he would've become
Ah he got big when he moved to London and lost his pace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top