U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-30-2012, 06:50 AM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,309,545 times
Reputation: 288

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
if financial fair play ever kicks in , the entire city of london and new york are ****ed , fat chance of it happening
Fat chance of what happening? The Uefa fair play rules are coming in next year. Chelsea will be screwed in a sence that they wont be able to spend what they spend but everything they spend now and before the rule comes in is allowed and wont be changed so them and City will go on a last time spending spree this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-30-2012, 07:30 AM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,887,075 times
Reputation: 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
I'm not bitter, just don't think that Chelsea outplayed Bayern in the final. It was a great comeback but they definitely didn't outplay them. They were also in the Champions League because of the previous seasons performance, not the one that just ended. If they had not have beaten Bayern they would not even be in the competition next season.

I also think City, United, Spurs and Newcastle were better than Chelsea in the Premier League this last season.
Newcastle had a pathetic goal difference. The thing about Chelsea is that they had such a rough patch for a good portion of the season, once they turned things around, it was too late. That and they had to worry about both the FA Cup and the Champions League. Something both Spurs and Newcastle did not have to worry about down the stretch.

Again, you sound bitter. Chelsea deserved to be in the Champions League. They earned their spot and capitalized on it, unlike the rest of the English teams that participated in Europe last season. Better than Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal, Stoke City, Birmingham City and Tottenham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
I dont have a problem with Chelsea winning but hold on a minute. People who say it was a master class defence against Barca and Bayern are just stupid. The truth is that Barca and Bayern were just waistful. It wasn't a master class defense that made Messi miss that penalty or Robben or when Fabregas hit the post or when Busquets missed a sitter or when Gomes missed about 4 chances on goal. That was waistful by Barca and Bayern not a defensive master class by Chelsea.

Did you watch the second half in Barcelona? A 10 man Chelsea team kept Barca scoreless. I don't care what you say, being down to 10 men for more than half the match against a team like Barca and holding them is amazing. Barca had better chances in the first half than in the second.

I also never used the phrase master class.

I am not saying both Bayern and Barcelona did not have great chances, because they certainly did. But Chelsea were very efficient. They hit their chances and the other two did not. Again, Bayern had 20 corners in the final. 20 and failed to score on all of them. Chelsea has 1 and Drogba bangs it home.

Last edited by TAM88; 05-30-2012 at 07:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
1,634 posts, read 3,275,072 times
Reputation: 487
Why do I sound bitter? Because I made true statements?

Do you honestly believe that Chelsea outplayed Bayern in the final?
Do you think that the Premiership should be decided on goal difference and not points?
Are you trying to suggest that the Premier League Trophy should be just handed to Chelsea because they won the European Cup?

Save the crap about about tough and busy scheduling, Chelsea spends more in transfers and pays more in wages than the other two teams you mentioned, who incidentally ended up in a higher position than Chelsea at the end of the season.

I don't usually agree with John, but I do in his last two posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 08:40 AM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,309,545 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Did you watch the second half in Barcelona? A 10 man Chelsea team kept Barca scoreless. I don't care what you say, being down to 10 men for more than half the match against a team like Barca and holding them is amazing. Barca had better chances in the first half than in the second.
Barcelona's best chance of the game came in the second half when Messi missed a penalty. That had nothing to do with 20 man Chelsea keeping Barca scoreless in fact it was bad defending by Chelsea which resulted in Barcelona getting a penalty which was missed by Messi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 08:41 AM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,309,545 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
I don't usually agree with John, but I do in his last two posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 09:26 AM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,887,075 times
Reputation: 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
Why do I sound bitter? Because I made true statements?

Do you honestly believe that Chelsea outplayed Bayern in the final?
Do you think that the Premiership should be decided on goal difference and not points?
Are you trying to suggest that the Premier League Trophy should be just handed to Chelsea because they won the European Cup?

Save the crap about about tough and busy scheduling, Chelsea spends more in transfers and pays more in wages than the other two teams you mentioned, who incidentally ended up in a higher position than Chelsea at the end of the season.

I don't usually agree with John, but I do in his last two posts.
At the end of the game, all that matters is who scored more goals. Chelsea were efficient, very efficient in the game. That matters more than possession and shots. Chelsea took their 1 corner and it was banged home by Drogba. Bayern took their 20 corners and had several poor attempts and services in and had nothing to show for it.

It was the same case in the Barcelona match up. Chelsea sat back and played a defensive game and then broke Barcelona on the counter attack. All 3 goals Chelsea scored were great and scored on the fast break.

It doesn't matter how much money you spend on transfers, players will get tired no matter what. You continue to take lame shots at Chelsea and they are all laughable. Keep them coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
1,634 posts, read 3,275,072 times
Reputation: 487
How are they lame shots?

Still didn't answer :

Do you think that the Premiership should be decided on goal difference and not points?

Are you trying to suggest that the Premier League Trophy should be just handed to Chelsea because they won the European Cup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 10:17 AM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,887,075 times
Reputation: 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
How are they lame shots?

Still didn't answer :

Do you think that the Premiership should be decided on goal difference and not points?

Are you trying to suggest that the Premier League Trophy should be just handed to Chelsea because they won the European Cup?
You are grasping at straws: "Save the crap about about tough and busy scheduling, Chelsea spends more in transfers and pays more in wages than the other two teams you mentioned, who incidentally ended up in a higher position than Chelsea at the end of the season."


I never said that as a result of Chelsea winning the UEFA Champions League should automatically mean City needs to hand over the EPL title. Nor did I say that GD should trump points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
1,634 posts, read 3,275,072 times
Reputation: 487
Then you'll agree that Chelsea were not a top 5 Premiership team this season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 05:04 PM
 
94 posts, read 135,842 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
if financial fair play ever kicks in , the entire city of london and new york are ****ed , fat chance of it happening
Except Arsenal, who operate within their own means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top