U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2011, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,108,180 times
Reputation: 4093

Advertisements

come on now! scotland have players like charlie adam, Darren Fletcher, kenny miller, steven Whittaker , Allan McGregor, Scott Brown, Steven Naismith, Alan Hutton, Craig Gordon, Kris Commons, Kris Boyd all class players, playing at a high level, i dont kid myself that scotland are great but we are getting better and are playing great football recently and if you think we aren't better than jamaica then you have no clue about football whatsoever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2011, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA & Beirut, Lebanon
92 posts, read 117,543 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
come on now! scotland have players like charlie adam, Darren Fletcher, kenny miller, steven Whittaker , Allan McGregor, Scott Brown, Steven Naismith, Alan Hutton, Craig Gordon, Kris Commons, Kris Boyd all class players, playing at a high level, i dont kid myself that scotland are great but we are getting better and are playing great football recently and if you think we aren't better than jamaica then you have no clue about football whatsoever
And having players playing at the highest level instantly translates into a stronger national team? Many countries are an example of the divide between players that are good club players and good International players. Only some can turn it on in both arena's.

As far as having talent, playing in high level leagues Jamaica have many players doing the same. In the Premiership you have Jermaine Beckford, Ricardo Fuller, Ricardo Gardner, Marlon King, Nyron Nosworthy, Zavon Hines, Jermaine Pennant. In the Scottish Premier League Chris Humphrey and Simon Ford and in Sweden Dwayne Miller. Then you also have countless players in the Championship and MLS (Including MLS Goaltender of the Year Donovan Ricketts)

I am not saying that it is a given that Jamaica is better, I am saying that it is not right to quickly dismiss Jamaica as being inferior, especially when you are a person that does not have any knowledge of the National Team. Also last time we actually faced off in a FIFA sanctioned Friendly Jamaica won 1-0.

As far as me not having a clue about football? I extend an open invitation to you next time you are in Boston to stop off and play with myself and the other participants in our local Elite League. No one on any of the team played below the Division I level and many played Internationally. If you can keep up then you can make that statement. I know football like the back of my hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2011, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,108,180 times
Reputation: 4093
Quote:
Originally Posted by forwardman;19651593[B
]And having players playing at the highest level instantly translates into a stronger national team? [/b]Many countries are an example of the divide between players that are good club players and good International players. Only some can turn it on in both arena's.

As far as having talent, playing in high level leagues Jamaica have many players doing the same. In the Premiership you have Jermaine Beckford, Ricardo Fuller, Ricardo Gardner, Marlon King, Nyron Nosworthy, Zavon Hines, Jermaine Pennant. In the Scottish Premier League Chris Humphrey and Simon Ford and in Sweden Dwayne Miller. Then you also have countless players in the Championship and MLS (Including MLS Goaltender of the Year Donovan Ricketts)

I am not saying that it is a given that Jamaica is better, I am saying that it is not right to quickly dismiss Jamaica as being inferior, especially when you are a person that does not have any knowledge of the National Team. Also last time we actually faced off in a FIFA sanctioned Friendly Jamaica won 1-0.

As far as me not having a clue about football? I extend an open invitation to you next time you are in Boston to stop off and play with myself and the other participants in our local Elite League. No one on any of the team played below the Division I level and many played Internationally. If you can keep up then you can make that statement. I know football like the back of my hand.
yes having players playing at a high level usually does translate to you having a better team, and i CAN dismiss jamaica of being inferior, because that's my, and many others no doubt, opinion. what do you think you are the only person who can play football?! i played for st johnstone in my youth a full time pro football club that was in the scottish premier league, and have had trials with 7 pro clubs and i continue to play football at a decent level, so i would happily accept your invitation if i happened to be in your neck of the woods! scotland are a better pedigree than jamaca when it comes to football, without a doubt, we also have better players now and and have in the past, a decent league, big clubs, better coaches, managers etc better history, have had a team win the european cup, and quality young players coming through which bodes well for the future, all in all a better footballing nation full stop, and are also a tiny country population wise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2011, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA & Beirut, Lebanon
92 posts, read 117,543 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
yes having players playing at a high level usually does translate to you having a better team, and i CAN dismiss jamaica of being inferior, because that's my, and many others no doubt, opinion. what do you think you are the only person who can play football?! i played for st johnstone in my youth a full time pro football club that was in the scottish premier league, and have had trials with 7 pro clubs and i continue to play football at a decent level, so i would happily accept your invitation if i happened to be in your neck of the woods! scotland are a better pedigree than jamaca when it comes to football, without a doubt, we also have better players now and and have in the past, a decent league, big clubs, better coaches, managers etc better history, have had a team win the european cup, and quality young players coming through which bodes well for the future, all in all a better footballing nation full stop, and are also a tiny country population wise
The argument is not who has the better history or League set up, it is who is the better International Team at the moment. According to FIFA it is Jamaica...full stop

I love how you sidestep the point about Jamaica beating Scotland in a friendly in 2009 (When you were ranked in the 40's btw) What happened to that pedigree on that date.

I look forward to your visit to Boston in the future, would love to have you come out and kick it around and I am not even being sarcastic. Remember though your fitness level must be at its peak, because something us Jamaicans definitely do better than you scots is run! Cheers.

Anyways, Im looking forward to tomorrow when Jamaica hopefully upsets the US in the Gold Cup. We have our B-C Team playing as well (none of the English based Players) Might be worth your while to check out the match and maybe gain a little respect for an up and coming football nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2011, 11:17 PM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,108,180 times
Reputation: 4093
quote - 'The argument is not who has the better history or League set up, it is who is the better International Team at the moment'

yes league set up counts, of course it does! you need a decent level of play for players to develop, obviously.

quote - 'Jermaine Beckford, Ricardo Fuller, Ricardo Gardner, Marlon King, Nyron Nosworthy, Zavon Hines, Jermaine Pennant'

first off beckford will get a chance in the england 1st team in the near future, mark my words, fuller is a good player, not anywhere near world class though, gardner was playing for preston north end last year who were relegated to the 3rd tier of english football, and nosworthy was playing at sheffield united, who were also relegated to the 3rd tier! king is nothing special, hines doesn't know if he is going to play for jamaica yet he played a friendly, but also plays for england under-21s so could yet play for england, never really seen him play anyway, and pennant doesn't even play for jamaica! haha do some research first before you post!

lol look you will not change my mind scotland are far better than jamaica IMO. might have got beat in a friendly, s**t happens, we were in dire straits back then anyway, we are a team again with some great players, charlie adam and darren fletcher in the middle of midfield who could well be playing along side each other at man united next season, 2 world class goalkeepers IMO, depth in our squad, great youth coming through, and a lot of good attacking options. we are playing with flair again. theres no contest, i dont pay any attention to the fifa rankings anyway, in october 2007 we were just 2 places behind england in 13th place in the world rankings! and we are a better side than we were then! so forgive me if i dont take these rankings serius we are just as good as ireland who are 30 places above us lol you know and i know scotland are a better team than jamaica, so stop trying to kid yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2011, 05:55 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA & Beirut, Lebanon
92 posts, read 117,543 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Jermaine Beckford, Ricardo Fuller, Ricardo Gardner, Marlon King, Nyron Nosworthy, Zavon Hines, Jermaine Pennant'

first off beckford will get a chance in the england 1st team in the near future, mark my words, fuller is a good player, not anywhere near world class though, gardner was playing for preston north end last year who were relegated to the 3rd tier of english football, and nosworthy was playing at sheffield united, who were also relegated to the 3rd tier! king is nothing special, hines doesn't know if he is going to play for jamaica yet he played a friendly, but also plays for england under-21s so could yet play for england, never really seen him play anyway, and pennant doesn't even play for jamaica! haha do some research first before you pos
Now at first I thought you had a functioning brain, despite the fact that you speak "Glasgow English" but now i am convinced you are brain dead.

Beckford has the option of playing for both countries, and has committed to Jamaica and filed his passport application. THe reason he was not added to the Gold Cup Roster is because of his wedding this summer. He will joint the national set up in the Fall.

Gardner was playing for Bolton (Do you even watch football???) Ricardo Gardner Bio, Stats, News - Football / Soccer - - ESPN Soccernet

Nosworthy Played at Sheffield United on Loan, but was granted his return to Sunderland mid way through last season and is under contract.

Zavon Hines is going to be a star, but the fact you haven't watched him doesnt surprise me, you obviously havent watched any of the other players either. Oh btw, he also filled his application and will join Jamaica during WCQ.

Jermaine Pennant was called up for a Friendly for Jamaica and was on the roster in 2010, but was not capped. He then had some disciplinary issues with the JFF and decided he try for an England call. When that did not come he is now deciding between Ireland and Jamaica. He has always preferred Jamaica (as evidenced by his acceptance of a call up) but is waiting to see if they will take him back.

Then we are awaiting word from players like Sylvian Eubanks-Blake and Karl Henry. So hopefully they join the set up this year as well.

Do not try and educate me on the JFF I follow it religiously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2011, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,108,180 times
Reputation: 4093
hahaha your something else, and i'm not from glasgow, dose'nt surprise me you don't know that. your trying to convince me about average players, some of which don't even play for jamaica, do yopu have a brain? you sent me a link saying gardner played 5 gamezs for bolton in the whole season! mmmm great player, and they were that impressed with him, they sent him to a terrible side like preston! hope the sarcasm comes through! and nosworthy barely gets a game at sunderland, thus he was sent out on loan to another crap team, hines only made 5 appearances for a club that finished rock bottom of the table, hardly going to be a star now is he! if he cant get a game at west ham, then i dont need to watch him to realise he isn't anything to shout about! pennant would prefer to play for england, thus he has rebuffed a jamaica cap all this time and is still doing so. and as for me watching jamaica, i suggest you watch scotland, just 6 months ago we were narrowly beaten 3-2 from the world champions spain, we are on the up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2011, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,552 posts, read 16,406,753 times
Reputation: 5092
You cant trust FIFA rankings as a genuine ranking system on where teams are in the world. Anybody with half a football brain will tell you that Scotland are a better team than Jamacia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA & Beirut, Lebanon
92 posts, read 117,543 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
hahaha your something else, and i'm not from glasgow, dose'nt surprise me you don't know that. your trying to convince me about average players, some of which don't even play for jamaica, do yopu have a brain? you sent me a link saying gardner played 5 gamezs for bolton in the whole season! mmmm great player, and they were that impressed with him, they sent him to a terrible side like preston! hope the sarcasm comes through! and nosworthy barely gets a game at sunderland, thus he was sent out on loan to another crap team, hines only made 5 appearances for a club that finished rock bottom of the table, hardly going to be a star now is he! if he cant get a game at west ham, then i dont need to watch him to realise he isn't anything to shout about! pennant would prefer to play for england, thus he has rebuffed a jamaica cap all this time and is still doing so. and as for me watching jamaica, i suggest you watch scotland, just 6 months ago we were narrowly beaten 3-2 from the world champions spain, we are on the up
Good lord it is difficult to read your posts. Mix in a comma or Capital letter every now and then. Hence the sarcasm about "Glasgow English" (Chuffin idiot to not understand that...what do they call people like you again? NEDS right?)

Gardner was out with an MCL injury, that is the reason he never played all year and since his recovery and rehab was so rapid they sent him to Preston to get healthy. Do you understand how difficult it is to have surgery that close to the season and come back and compete in the Premiership??

Zavon Hines also had knee surgery and did not return to the lineup until a year later (MCL and ACL) He was not healthy until December where he returned to play against Man U.

Pennant has accepted 2 call ups from Jamaica, but as I said was sent home both times for insubordination. Jamaica is the only country he has accepted a call up from and with the new coach and TD they have welcomed him back into the fold.

At the very least attempt to read up on something before arguing and for the love of god get yourself some Grammar software.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA & Beirut, Lebanon
92 posts, read 117,543 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
You cant trust FIFA rankings as a genuine ranking system on where teams are in the world. Anybody with half a football brain will tell you that Scotland are a better team than Jamacia.
Please point to the post where I said Jamaica was better than Scotland. I simply said you should not dismiss them as being inferior. You can actually make a better argument for quite a few other teams above Scotland in the rankings.

All I know is that both programs are mediocre (Scotland and Jamaica) and have a long way to go before they can be considered immediate qualifiers for the upcoming World Cup. Speaking of Scotland as if they are some superior juggernaut makes me laugh.

All I know is that Scotland has not qualified for the past 3 world cups; 4 Euro's and were dominated by Brazil last time I saw them play. You all are fluffing up this side like nothing I've ever seen before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top