U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 03:47 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,099,264 times

Advertisements

the celtic manager and two prominent celtic supporters trish godman msp and paul mcbride QC were sent parcel nail bombs

BBC News - Neil Lennon parcel bomb 'a cowardly act'

Celtic Nail Bombs: Football Club Manager Neil Lennon Among Targets Of 'Lethal' Devices Sent In Post | UK News | Sky News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 07:33 AM

175 posts, read 172,766 times
Absolutely shocking and appauling!
He's had death threats for a while now hasn't he?

The old firm at the weekend is not going to be a nice place to be i predict. The police are gonna have they're hands full

Old 04-20-2011, 07:44 AM

643 posts, read 981,313 times
He was knocked out a few years ago when walking in the street.

Celtic and Rangers bring a new meaning to the term rivalry as it has religious aspects in it.

Some 'high profile' fans were also sent them i think. It's an absolute joke and i have a feeling that religion may be bought up in the thread.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:00 AM

175 posts, read 172,766 times
I know they already have a mega rivalry and hatred for each other (rangers and celtic).
But this season the hatred seems to have grown to rediculous levels.
Tensions are going to be running really high this sunday, i think they should postpone the game maybe? If it does go ahead i shall definately tuning in though.

I wouldnt be surprised if the bomb wasnt even sent by a rangers fan/fans. Some religous nutter probably.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:50 AM

it was sent from ayrshire, people shouldn't even support the old firm if they are not from glasgow, it's the same here in dundee, today when i was in subway for my lunch, people, my fellow dundonians, from the east of scotland where arguing about the old firm, and how it was "just" to send this bomb for stuff that has happened centuries ago! some people in scotland are deluded and see opposing old firm fans as "the enemy" and you are right this season there is a certain menace in the air that hasn't been that strong for a few years, i fear for scottish football in the coming years, people need to get a grip, there should be a rivalry, but there shouldn't be murders and serious assaults, which happen across scotland on the day/night of an old firm game, and there shouldn't be basically terrorism because of football, at the end of the day it is a game, and rangers and celtic fans aren't all that different and you shouldn't be more or less brought up to hate people because they support an opposing team, its stupid and crazy

Old 04-20-2011, 01:52 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,397,409 times
IMHO its got nothing to do with religion. What it is is an excuse for braindead thugs to start fights and incite mindless violence. 99% of them gob****es probably havent set foot in a church in 20 years. Religion ...

I have been on the wrong end of Rangers fans just for being Catholic and seen their fans been on the wrong end of a beating by Celtic fans. They really should just drop a bomb on that lot when theyre fighting and solve the problem.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:28 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,343,613 times
This season has seen the tension between Rangers and Celtic ramp up to a new high but it is worth understanding a little of the background.

Neil Lennon is an abrasive character as his former girlfriend can attest and which is one of the reasons he has spent at least 6 matches this season sitting in the stands (abuse of referees). In fact, the last time he was attacked in the street it was because he had using sectarian language towards a couple of guys who were, unfortunately for Lennon, capable of reacting. They were convicted because their response (beating the cr@p out of Lennon) was considered extreme and inappropriate to the circumstances. In any event, Lennon has a much more serious threat hanging over him at the moment in the form of a lawsuit from the Bank of Ireland who is suing him for 3 million Euros.

This season has also seen a referees strike because of the extent of criticism of referees by a certain club. I happen to know that Celtic FC are paying for Paul McBride QC (who also, allegedly, received a bomb) to represent one referee, Stevie Craven (Craven is a manual worker who could not afford McBride on his own), in his suit for unfair dismissal against the SFA. McBride has also represented Celtic FC and Lennon on different occasions. In a separate incident, the SFA has threatened legal action against McBride as well as reporting him to the Faculty of Advocates in Edinburgh for remarks he made concerning the SFA disciplinary process. McBride has consistently added fuel to the fire over the past few weeks.

Another person who, allegedly, received a bomb was MSP Trish Godman who famously decided to wear a Celtic shirt at the Scottish Parliament in Holyrood. No doubt some of her constituents would have strongly objected to her mixing her allegiance and her job. Ms. Godman is also known as the mother of Gary Mulgrew who spent time in a Texas jail for his part in the Enron scandal.

Meanwhile, Rangers have been reported to the SFA by FARE (Fans Against Racism in Europe). The head of FARE, Piara Power, is married to BBC presenter Assmah Mir, who is a self declared rabid Celtic supporter. He has also become an ambassador for a company called OnSide along with former Celtic player Paul Elliott. OnSide will operate in sports coaching and are a wholly owned subsidiary of Milestone Group in which Celtic director and majority shareholder Dermot Desmond's son, Brett, has a stake. Rangers supporters could be forgiven for thinking there was an agenda at work here.

It is interesting that all the way through the troubles in Northern Ireland, nothing happened in Glasgow. So, one wonders why, now that things are more peaceful over there, that this is happening in Scotland. Even more interesting is that the not only do the police seem incapable of tracking down the perpetrators but there has been no heightened terrorism alert and even postal workers are not being given any extra protection. Perhaps the reporting in the press is rather more dramatic than the reality of the threat.

Of course, it is merely a coincidence that all this comes out just before a key Old Firm match. Funny how that happens .... lets ramp the tension up a bit more shall we.

Obviously, no sensible person can condone threats such as this in any context and I sincerely hope that the police show themselves to be a little bit more competent than they have to date and that they manage to catch the individual(s). But I would also suggest that those people who are linked to certain clubs have a responsibility to help lower the tension which may be fueling these acts.

In the incestuous world of Glasgow football it does not take much to get things going.

Last edited by Jaggy001; 04-20-2011 at 05:54 PM..

Old 04-20-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
It is interesting that all the way through the troubles in Northern Ireland, nothing happened in Glasgow. So, one wonders why, now that things are more peaceful over there, that this is happening in Scotland
just because there wasn't bombs going off in glasgow and scotland, doesn't mean this game has not caused havoc on the streets here, people have been murdered, stabbed, slashed, seriously assaulted etc etc all because this game, the increase in violence in scotland on an old firm day/night is astonishing, it does something to people unlike any other derby i know of

Old 04-21-2011, 06:06 PM

643 posts, read 981,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
IMHO its got nothing to do with religion. What it is is an excuse for braindead thugs to start fights and incite mindless violence. 99% of them gob****es probably havent set foot in a church in 20 years. Religion ...

I have been on the wrong end of Rangers fans just for being Catholic and seen their fans been on the wrong end of a beating by Celtic fans. They really should just drop a bomb on that lot when theyre fighting and solve the problem.
Have you heard the sectarian chants? I think it is 50/50 that it is religion based although as you said it could be some t***.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:10 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,397,409 times
Yeh I heard them, from both sides. Does not make me think they are religious. Religion is a good shield to hide behind if you want to do is invoke hatred and violence which is what Celtic and Rangers fans are great at doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or