U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 11:19 AM

245 posts, read 256,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Interesting URL concerning which US cities could support a MLS team (among other leagues) in regards to personal income:

Could Your City Give a Sports Team a Good Home?
A lot of cities should start applying to enter MLS, MLS is not demanding as other sports and I think can be most profitable for small metro areas especially midwest and Midsouth
The DMV area can have a second or third MLS team I hope there is a team in NOVA and a team in SOMD then we will have the DMV derby (rivalry)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 12:40 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,743,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post
A lot of cities should start applying to enter MLS, MLS is not demanding as other sports and I think can be most profitable for small metro areas especially midwest and Midsouth
The DMV area can have a second or third MLS team I hope there is a team in NOVA and a team in SOMD then we will have the DMV derby (rivalry)
Cities dont apply to enter a sports league. Ownership groups submit bids to be granted a franchise that will play in a particular city. Right now, the MLS has opened up bidding for expansion teams. I doubt anyone will enter the league prior to the NYC2 franchise getting up and running. The league has its sites set on getting NY as number 20. Once they are up and running, they might add a couple of more within a couple of years after that.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:04 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,499,234 times
McDonalds and Burger King are franchises.

Soccer teams are clubs.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:04 PM

580 posts, read 861,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
McDonalds and Burger King are franchises.

Soccer teams are clubs.
Not in the USA. They are franchises. I am European and in Europe we have clubs, not franchises. The difference is that the franchise can be moved around from one city to another one and it will maintain its name.
In Europe that would be unthinkable (it would probably cause a revolution - can you imagine Juventus moving to Milano and becoming Juve Milan??), that's why they are clubs, born in a city and they stay there forever. That's why in the USA all teams of any sports have a nickname like Tigers, Cowboys, Dolphins etc..they will keep it if they move.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:29 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,140,411 times
I think San Diego would be a great location for an MLS team/stadium. San Diego has a big population, great weather and is close to Tijuana. The Tijuana Xolos have excellent attendance. San Diego would get fans from both cities. Sacramento could be an MLS city, too. Soccer is popular with the youth up there and Sac only has one pro team, the Kings. Though Phoenix is hot I think a franchise there would be successful. How about: Boise, Detroit, Atlanta, Pittsburgh or St. Louis?

Cheers!

Old 05-06-2013, 02:41 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,460,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
I think San Diego would be a great location for an MLS team/stadium. San Diego has a big population, great weather and is close to Tijuana. The Tijuana Xolos have excellent attendance. San Diego would get fans from both cities. Sacramento could be an MLS city, too. Soccer is popular with the youth up there and Sac only has one pro team, the Kings. Though Phoenix is hot I think a franchise there would be successful. How about: Boise, Detroit, Atlanta, Pittsburgh or St. Louis?

Cheers!
Maybe the MLS franchise "Chivas USA" could relocate to the San Diego sports market.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:38 PM

245 posts, read 256,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Maybe the MLS franchise "Chivas USA" could relocate to the San Diego sports market.
Chivas need to re-brand to San Diego FC

Old 05-06-2013, 06:52 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,173,700 times
Quote:
If I had a nickle for everytime someone brought this up...

Old 05-06-2013, 11:56 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,460,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
If I had a nickle for everytime someone brought this up...
But it is a great idea though. Los Angeles doesn't need to have 2 MLS teams. New York doesn't even have 2 MLS teams so why should Los Angeles have two teams?

San Diego has a metropolis of over 3 million and it's big enough to support an MLS franchise. Not to mention it would make a great rivalry between LA and San Diego(which are also the two largest cities on the west coast).

Old 05-07-2013, 08:45 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,173,700 times
Quote:
But it is a great idea though. Los Angeles doesn't need to have 2 MLS teams. New York doesn't even have 2 MLS teams so why should Los Angeles have two teams?

San Diego has a metropolis of over 3 million and it's big enough to support an MLS franchise. Not to mention it would make a great rivalry between LA and San Diego(which are also the two largest cities on the west coast).
No, I agree.

Just sayin', for as many times and for as long it's been thrown around, I don't get why they just don't move Chivas down I-5....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or