Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:29 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times

Advertisements

You dont see Europe creating many creative and exciting footballers ? Could have fooled me .......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 10:05 AM

643 posts, read 1,122,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Farther south, much farther, e.g., Brazilian futbol, Argentinian futbol. You don't see Europe producing too many creative and exciting futbolers. Messi is Argentinian, remember.

The most creative forwards and attacking midfielders are from South America.
Messi is Argentinian but has played for Barca since he was 10.

Ronaldo, Bale, Suarez, Iniesta, Ozill, Robben, Ribery, Duff, Villa, Navas, Silva. These are just some names off the top of my head.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:48 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Farther south, much farther, e.g., Brazilian futbol, Argentinian futbol. You don't see Europe producing too many creative and exciting futbolers. Messi is Argentinian, remember.

The most creative forwards and attacking midfielders are from South America.

You don't see Europe producing too many creative and exciting footballers? You're serious?

Old 05-12-2011, 08:06 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
You don't see Europe producing too many creative and exciting footballers? You're serious?
Relative to South America; yes, I am serious.

Take a look at the Eastern European clubs that have had decent runs recently in both the Champions League and Europa League/Cup. All have had Brazilian attackers up front: Zenit St. Petersburg, Shakhtar Donetsk, CSKA Moscow, and so forth.

Additionally, Argentinian playmakers are found at many clubs. Messi IS Argentinian even if he was captured by Barca at an early age. Valencia's glory years were when Pablo Aimar was playing midfield for them; now Ever Banega is playing mid for them. Argentina and Brazil export many futbolers around the world and yet their domestic leagues are still very competitive.

I am making the argument that the Latino players bring more excitement to the MLS than do the European players although there are a few exceptional Europeans (Thierry Henry, Fredrik Lungberg). For example, Real Salt Lake's current good run is partly due to their Latino attackers: Morales, Saborio, and Espindola.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:12 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
Messi is Argentinian but has played for Barca since he was 10.

Ronaldo, Bale, Suarez, Iniesta, Ozill, Robben, Ribery, Duff, Villa, Navas, Silva. These are just some names off the top of my head.
Ronaldo is Portuguese, who tend to play more like Brazilians, not Europeans

Suarez (Luis?) is from Uruguay

Iniesta is a diver, pure and simple

Duff? Hahahahaha.....

Villa, Navas, and Silva, yes, are creative Spanish players, who tend to play more like South Americans than they do Europeans. Still, the Spanish and Italian leagues are full of Argentinians, if you haven't noticed. Ditto with Brazilians; e.g., Sevilla had a great run several years ago winning the UEFA Cup twice, but their best players were Brazilian: Dani Alves, Renato, and Julio Baptista. Alves was incredibly creative playing from the right back position. Navas, certainly, is creative but he is fairly fragile and injury prone.

Last edited by Teak; 05-12-2011 at 08:24 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 08:15 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
You cant turn around and say "Ronaldo is Portugese, who tend to play more like Brazilians, not Europeans" lol. Your whole argument is that the South Americans are more exciting and when exciting Euro players are pointed out you say one of em plays like a Brazilian yet int he same thread you have a 10 year old Argentinian who has been in Europe since 10 (somebody pointed out) but hes not good because he was at Barca its because hes Argentinian lol

I am unsure on how to have a discussion on good Euro players when you are saying they play like South American players. They play like they play, its their style.

Connor Casey plays a great physical game, can I say America cant claim it because he has the style of an Irish striker now ?

Old 05-13-2011, 12:05 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
rooney, gerrard, lampard, ronaldo, henry, ribery, robben, snyder, van der vaart, van persie, villa, torres, iniesta, xavi, navas, silva, fabregas, xavi alonso, pedro, and PLENTY more, the best teams in the world (barca and spain) are full of europeans, except messi,who has been in europe since he was 10, that seriously is a bad comment!

Old 05-14-2011, 11:18 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I am pretty sure the NY Cosmos deal is going to be happening. The MLS want it to happen and they will find what they need to get it done. Last I heard it was looking to be 2014 before it could happen. I think the MLS would take a break from expansion after that. You just cannot keep expanding. The league needs some stability and needs to focus strenghtening it's strengths and fixing it's weaknesses. They need to conduct a deep SWOT analysis and focus on that.

Talking about expansion is useless without knowing where the ownership groups want to put teams. Cities are not awarded teams, ownership groups are awarded teams.

The Southeast does not support their professional sports teams. There is a reason we contracted both of our Florida teams before. If Arthur Blank gets involved again, Atlanta may be an option but unless you have someone like that, the MLS needs to focus on markets that have solid ownership groups.

Ottawa has put together an ownership group in the past that was pretty solid.
bringing a second team to NY is really stupid IMO. They cna't even fill Red Bull Park and it's by far the best Soccer Specific Stadium in the country in the largest city in the US with a diverse, immigrant, ethnic population. All I ever hear about is how diverse, ethnic, and worldly NY is but they can't come close to selling 22K per game. And no, I don't care what MLS says, watch a game there and there are plenty of empty seats.

but you're right they seem heck-bent on putting a team there, what they really should've done was call them the Cosmos in the first place, althougth I understand an individual owns the name and rights to the team so it wasnt' easy.

and I'm sick of hearing people whine about the stadium being in NJ, if it really is that big of an issue they should've never built it there then. I understand land is at a premium in NY to say the least but if that's really the issue it was the wrong idea. Of course people are whining about the TB RAys stadium, what 12 years old?, being in St. Pete and them having to cross a bridge.

Talking about expansion is useless without knowing where the ownership groups want to put teams.

very well said, St Louis is a great soccer city by all accounts , many of the 1950's Nat team players came from there and there are good college programs but without an ownership group there's no team coming there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Frankly, I think we should put one in South Florida and one in Atlanta therefore all the corners of the country are covered.
that's the worse place they could go! FLA had TWO TEAMS arlready and they failed, S FLA and ATL are horrible sports regions because so many people have moved there. You can't compare the Dolphins in the most popular league , by far, in this country with soccer in the US.

the best southern place to expand would be North carolina. There is a tremendous college soccer culture there with winning progams, only California would rival the Carolinas. North Carolina, Wake Forest, Duke, Virginia and Maryland all have success. If they expand to the south it should be to NC.

the latest rumour is Zigi Wilf, owner of the Minn. Vikings, wants a team but IMO he's only talking that way to make the idea of public funding for the new stadium in the 'burbs more palpable. And we know how well MLS team playing in football stadia do : DC United, New England, etc. bad idea!

PS: where would La Liga and Serie A be without all the south americans?

Old 05-14-2011, 12:25 PM

643 posts, read 1,122,917 times
Yes the South Americans are good, but there club teams are not as good as European teams. They produce flamboyant attacking players which is good to watch but they cannot defend like the European teams.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:05 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
Yes the South Americans are good, but there club teams are not as good as European teams. They produce flamboyant attacking players which is good to watch but they cannot defend like the European teams.
that's because they're (sic) there all playing in europe b/c that's where the money is.

it's economics pure and simple.

engerland produces flamboyant defenders who won't hesitate to double compound fracture your lower leg, very exciting as you never know when someone is heading for a 12 month rehab stint!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer