U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-14-2011, 04:17 PM
 
1,645 posts, read 4,016,925 times
Reputation: 1682

Advertisements

St. Louis
New York City (Queens or Brooklyn)
Chivas USA to San Diego
Miami
Detroit (Oakland County)???
Raleigh/ Durham/ Chapel Hill, NC area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2011, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
322 posts, read 707,065 times
Reputation: 167
As was said, we desperately need a team in the South (not Florida). I personally would consider Nashville or Birmingham and possibly Atlanta, but both Nashville and Birmingham seem to have good soccer passion and have drawn well for U.S. qualifiers and friendlies.

As for New York, I agree that that is stupid since the Red Bulls are not really supported. Now if an ownership group there wants to take a shot, I guess that would be fine, but generally speaking I really don't like the idea of a second NY team. I don't even like there being two LA teams and would move Chivas to San Diego, Phoenix or at least Orange County if it had to stay in LA metro.

Otherwise, keep awarding franchises to appropriate ownership groups and, if we get to perhaps 40 or so interested parties (including existing teams), then implement promotion/relegation. Maybe stop at 24 and then set up a type of waiting list until the total gets up to around 40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,758,894 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post
As was said, we desperately need a team in the South (not Florida). I personally would consider Nashville or Birmingham and possibly Atlanta, but both Nashville and Birmingham seem to have good soccer passion and have drawn well for U.S. qualifiers and friendlies.

As for New York, I agree that that is stupid since the Red Bulls are not really supported. Now if an ownership group there wants to take a shot, I guess that would be fine, but generally speaking I really don't like the idea of a second NY team. I don't even like there being two LA teams and would move Chivas to San Diego, Phoenix or at least Orange County if it had to stay in LA metro.

Otherwise, keep awarding franchises to appropriate ownership groups and, if we get to perhaps 40 or so interested parties (including existing teams), then implement promotion/relegation. Maybe stop at 24 and then set up a type of waiting list until the total gets up to around 40.

40? You're serious? Both the NBA and NHL are strongly considering contraction because 32 teams is too much for the league. The heads of those leagues have both said that they should have been capped to a number in the mid-20s instead of continuous expansion.

Do you know that one of the top reasons businesses fail in this country is too much expansion?

24 is the absolutely max that the league should have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 03:26 PM
 
1,645 posts, read 4,016,925 times
Reputation: 1682
Breaking news out of Vegas...
Major league soccer commissioner calls legislators, indicates support for arena near Mandalay Bay - Politics: Ralston's Flash - Las Vegas Sun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,552 posts, read 16,408,342 times
Reputation: 5092
Sin City FC!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 06:26 PM
 
1,261 posts, read 1,772,990 times
Reputation: 371
Oh my god!!! An announcement!!

Check back in 6-10 years for further developments YEAH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 08:41 PM
 
180 posts, read 325,748 times
Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
40? You're serious? Both the NBA and NHL are strongly considering contraction because 32 teams is too much for the league. The heads of those leagues have both said that they should have been capped to a number in the mid-20s instead of continuous expansion.

Do you know that one of the top reasons businesses fail in this country is too much expansion?

24 is the absolutely max that the league should have.
do you have a link. No offense but it seems strange that either of them would admit that they overexpanded.

bettman has done everything to keep the team in PHX and apparently they, along with Atlanta, have lost money every year in the league. It just not like those big wigs to admit they made a mistake. Hence why they tried to keep PHX, ATL, FLA etc. where they are.

the euro soccer leagues can't have more than 20 teams per FIFA and a few like the Bundesliga have 18, certainly those countries are smaller in population and geography but still, considering there are only so many top leagues I can't imagine more than 24 in the US/Canada. There will be 3 teams from Canada with Montreal and there was talk of even Ottawa.

They have 18 now and MTL I believe next year. I could see a few more to grow the "footprint" and certainly that wil help with getting more to play -- this has happened with the NHL now having US players from L.A., TX and others areas but foremost for MLS is getting the quality of the game better and they won't do that with constant expansion. These teams have such a small budget and often not enough players to make it thru the season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2011, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,109,741 times
Reputation: 4093
not that knowlegable about the mls and the cities that have big soccer fans etc but thought i would throw a few in, phoenix, san diego, indianapolis, detroit, boltimore, las vegas and el paso? big populations, they could surely develope at least 1 well supported team
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2011, 10:05 AM
 
Location: London, England
643 posts, read 982,061 times
Reputation: 160
I couldn't see Phoenix, Detroit or Vegas

The Midwest has Columbus which is supported in Michigan
Baltimore has Crystal Palace Baltimore which with some investment could become an MLS team
Vegas seems more into biking and off roading rather than soccer
El Paso has Chivas El Paso who could become a team but i think the team should be in the SE somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2011, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,758,894 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
not that knowlegable about the mls and the cities that have big soccer fans etc but thought i would throw a few in, phoenix, san diego, indianapolis, detroit, boltimore, las vegas and el paso? big populations, they could surely develope at least 1 well supported team

There has been rumblings about Phoenix for a long time but the climate would be an issue during the summer.

There is an ownership group in Vegas as the previous article stated. However, all of the pro sports leagues have stayed out of Vegas due to gambling. We will see how that turns out.

The people that bought the Pontiac Silverdome in Detroit mentioned MLS as a possible purpose for it but I dont see it happening. The league would never allow an expansion team to play in a 80K seat dome that is 30 years old.

El Paso has no professional sports teams and there has never been a single bit of interest from any owners about putting a team there. I wouldnt bit a single dollar on that ever happening.

Baltimore is the likely destination of DC United. Baltimore is preparing a plan to present to the owners of DC United for a stadium.

There have been rumblings about Chivas moving to San Diego but San Diego has a history of not supporting their teams so we will see how that goes.

Never heard anything about Indianapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top