Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 07:30 AM

6,402 posts, read 8,952,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Thinking about the huge middle eastern population in Dearborn and from when I lived there, the most passionate part of soccer in that area, was in Windsor.......I don't think soccer, itself, is that big in the actual city of Detroit proper.
Hockey isn't big in Detroit proper either. I would be shocked of a Detroit club ended up in Dearborn or Windsor. Detroit proper also has a growing Arab population. There's also Hamtramck (filled with Poles) right there in the middle of Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 11:33 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,974,039 times
Quote:
Just thougth about this the other day....I could see 2 more by 2015....after that though, I would think they need to be real cautious....don't want to see another NASL, too many franchises, too big and then fold.....
I would say in the Midwest between, St Louis (which is probably the best soccer town in the US), Minneapolis/St Paul and Metro Detroit......
have the Detroit team play in a stadium in Dearborn or even Windsor and I'm sure it would do very well.

After the AC St. Louis debacle, they have about as much shot of getting an MLS team as Fargo, ND does. Not going to happen for a very long time, if ever

If Detroit gets a team it will be the ownership group that already submitted an application to MLS a couple of months ago.

You should probably look these things up before making baseless speculation.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:15 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,510,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
After the AC St. Louis debacle, they have about as much shot of getting an MLS team as Fargo, ND does. Not going to happen for a very long time, if ever

If Detroit gets a team it will be the ownership group that already submitted an application to MLS a couple of months ago.

You should probably look these things up before making baseless speculation.

You didn't need to throw that in there.....
was going by the overall success of the St Louis market for soccer in the last 30 years or so.....sounds like STL hate, just because you're from Kansas City....
I don't really care when it comes right down to it, it's just my opinion.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:14 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,018,079 times
It'll go whereever the most flush ownership group shows up.

Who knows where it will be, they almost never turn out like the fans call it.

If South Florida ever gets it act together, it could either be a great success (due to the Hispanic and expat/foriegner population) or a big flop (due to the same reason).

Old 08-02-2011, 04:43 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,838,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
It'll go whereever the most flush ownership group shows up.

Who knows where it will be, they almost never turn out like the fans call it.

If South Florida ever gets it act together, it could either be a great success (due to the Hispanic and expat/foriegner population) or a big flop (due to the same reason).
Well, Miami/S. Florida doesn't exactly have the reputation of being a great FAN town. Big in football with the Dolphins and The U, but everyone else.... not so much. This year's Heat team was a VERY big exception. But when "The Heatles" break up and the Heat becomes an average team again(not bad, average), It'll be just another football town.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:03 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,223,982 times
I would love to see a MLS franchise in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro. The area has been able to support teams in all four other major league sports.

San Antonio would probably do well.

I have read that somebody is trying to get a franchise for Orlando.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
the latest rumour is Zigi Wilf, owner of the Minn. Vikings, wants a team but IMO he's only talking that way to make the idea of public funding for the new stadium in the 'burbs more palpable. And we know how well MLS team playing in football stadia do : DC United, New England, etc. bad idea!
I think it depends how the stadium is designed and setup for MLS games.

Seattle Sounders. 37,188 Average Attendance so far in 2011.

Having a separate "soccer specific stadium" is probably better for the clubs and MLS overall though.

Last edited by moving123456; 08-03-2011 at 10:11 AM..

Old 08-04-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
You didn't need to throw that in there.....
was going by the overall success of the St Louis market for soccer in the last 30 years or so.....sounds like STL hate, just because you're from Kansas City....
I don't really care when it comes right down to it, it's just my opinion.

St. Louis hate? I would love nothing more than a team in St. Louis. If it was my choice, it would happen next season. We do not have a rival and have to drive 8 hours for our closest team.

What I said is perfectly true. AC St. Louis was a trainwreck and it was the same group trying to get an MLS side. If you cannot keep a minor league team running for a full season, you cannot count on getting an MLS team. They set their selves back 10 years with that mess.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:54 AM

3,719 posts, read 5,682,137 times
Any of these cities:

Atlanta
Baltimore
Phoenix
Charlotte
Hartford
Minneapolis
Orlando
Sacramento
Fresno
El Paso
McAllen-Edinburg
Oklahoma City
Tulsa
Albuquerque
Calgary
Tucson
Raleigh

Old 06-21-2012, 08:11 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,379,757 times
You can scratch Albuquerque off the list. The whole State has a very low population and Burque itself is remote to a majority of the State. OKC would be good I think.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Any of these cities:

Atlanta
Baltimore
Phoenix
Charlotte
Hartford
Minneapolis
Orlando
Sacramento
Fresno
El Paso
McAllen-Edinburg
Oklahoma City
Tulsa
Albuquerque
Calgary
Tucson
Raleigh
Do you have any sources that any of these cities other than Atlanta, Baltimore, and Phoenix have any ownership groups trying to do anything or are these just cities off the top of your head.

Cities do not get sports teams. Ownership groups are granted franchises much like people are granted McDonald's franchises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer