U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 10:03 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,771,156 times

Advertisements

Let it be known that this is just a hypothetical thread, we all know what qualification a city needs to host a soccer franchise (or any franchise in this country)

Montreal will enter next year providing an obvious Toronto rival.

Afterwards?

Frankly I don't buy the New York Cosmos bruhaha, they don't have a wealthy benefactor to deal with New York City construction costs. Plus I like the neat tidy Northeast Corridor quartet we have.

Frankly, I think we should put one in South Florida and one in Atlanta therefore all the corners of the country are covered.

Also I say move Chivas to somewhere else, maybe St. Louis if they ever got their act together, it would be a great fit inbetween Chicago and KC.

After that you'd be set for national footprint. I say we stay at 20 teams and focus on increasing depth and quality to sway some Eurofans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 10:25 AM

643 posts, read 980,919 times
I would say anywhere in the SE of the country just because there isn't a team there. As you said somewhere in Canada near Toronto because it seems Vancouver was joined the rivalry of Seattle and Portland.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:37 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,391,198 times
Has something changed with Cosmos since I last read up on them ? Is that falling apart ? They had some good guys behind it, but not sure about what financial backing they had but I presumed with the guys there and the big names it was significant financing. I was prolly way off though.

Florida has a (some?) USL teams dont they ? Might be time to take one to the next level with the right investment. Lots of expats down that way too that I know of so could potentially be a good quality side come out of there.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:22 AM

They need someone to chip in for stadium financing among other things (like actually creating a team).

Originally they were tied to the Wilpon family who owns the Mets but they got burned in the Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme and are in serious money trouble.

I know some New Yorkers scoff at the idea of going to Jersey but unless Red Bull arena is selling out every day I think they should just stick with what they have.

South Florida recently restarted their old NASL team (The Fort Lauderdale Strikers) in the new NASL, supposedly got good buzz. If they make waves like Montreal Impact did I wouldn't be surprised if they are next in a few years or so. Especially because soccer is rather popular in south florida.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:36 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,748,396 times
I am pretty sure the NY Cosmos deal is going to be happening. The MLS want it to happen and they will find what they need to get it done. Last I heard it was looking to be 2014 before it could happen. I think the MLS would take a break from expansion after that. You just cannot keep expanding. The league needs some stability and needs to focus strenghtening it's strengths and fixing it's weaknesses. They need to conduct a deep SWOT analysis and focus on that.

Talking about expansion is useless without knowing where the ownership groups want to put teams. Cities are not awarded teams, ownership groups are awarded teams.

The Southeast does not support their professional sports teams. There is a reason we contracted both of our Florida teams before. If Arthur Blank gets involved again, Atlanta may be an option but unless you have someone like that, the MLS needs to focus on markets that have solid ownership groups.

Ottawa has put together an ownership group in the past that was pretty solid.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:13 PM

Er, I DID say this was just hypothetical

the southeast not supporting their teams has always been glossed over.

Most of those teams are new relative to the established northern ones with the exception of the Falcons and Dolphins and they LOVE the Dolphins in Florida. Often times there are unique circumstances leading to a team not doing well. Braves did well when they were winning now not so much but frankly thats more the average behaviour then many fans are willing to admit.

I just think (provided that the interest and demand is there) it'd be best to have the country covered so the league will look more attractive to TV networks and sponsors.

As of right now, nothing is "sure" until someone like the Wilpons teams up with the Cosmos and gets a workable stadium finance plan going and even THEN I doubt it will happen by 2014 because it's a nightmare trying to build anything in NYC, until then consider it hot air. Just cause MLS wants it doesn't mean it'll happen.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:17 PM

2,846 posts, read 3,937,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Let it be known that this is just a hypothetical thread, we all know what qualification a city needs to host a soccer franchise (or any franchise in this country)

Montreal will enter next year providing an obvious Toronto rival.

Afterwards?

Frankly I don't buy the New York Cosmos bruhaha, they don't have a wealthy benefactor to deal with New York City construction costs. Plus I like the neat tidy Northeast Corridor quartet we have.

Frankly, I think we should put one in South Florida and one in Atlanta therefore all the corners of the country are covered.

Also I say move Chivas to somewhere else, maybe St. Louis if they ever got their act together, it would be a great fit inbetween Chicago and KC.

After that you'd be set for national footprint. I say we stay at 20 teams and focus on increasing depth and quality to sway some Eurofans.
I agree with adding a team in the SE USA and then holding steady at 20 for a while.

But what is the point of trying to attract "Eurofans"? MLS is made more exciting by the Latino players being brought in, not by the Europeans. Look South, I say, for the most exciting futbol in the world. Let the Eurofans have their boring EPL.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:47 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,391,198 times
lol what ?
Mexican football the most exciting in the world ? Do you love to watch people rolling around on the ground ?

Old 05-06-2011, 09:52 PM

Brian gets partial credit.

You see it's not impossible to sway some Latino fans but you cannot reasonably expect 1st and 2nd generation immigrants to give up America and Chivas that easiliy. To me you really have to get the locals into it first. It's one thing to split time between some UEFA club and your local side (I have a feeling a lot of people do that in other countries) as opposed to an MLS side and a more powerful side from your hometown south of the border.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:15 AM

2,846 posts, read 3,937,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
lol what ?
Mexican football the most exciting in the world ? Do you love to watch people rolling around on the ground ?
Farther south, much farther, e.g., Brazilian futbol, Argentinian futbol. You don't see Europe producing too many creative and exciting futbolers. Messi is Argentinian, remember.

The most creative forwards and attacking midfielders are from South America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or