U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 03:53 PM

404 posts, read 545,218 times

Advertisements

Soccer is more of an exercise in futility.

Is it a sport, or just a cardiovascular activity? It has 2 basic skills running and the ability to kick a ball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 06:53 PM

716 posts, read 1,525,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepizzaguy View Post

Is it a sport, or just a cardiovascular activity? It has 2 basic skills running and the ability to kick a ball.
i like when people that obviously have no knowledge of a subject still make an attempt to offer their opinion. it often makes them look foolish, as in this case.

my mom told me that it's better to remain quiet and appear ignorant, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:22 PM

1,872 posts, read 5,788,391 times
Quote:
It has 2 basic skills running and the ability to kick a ball.
Is that kinda like how baseball and hockey require only the ability to swing a stick and how American football and basketball require only the ability to throw a ball?

Old 08-10-2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Is that kinda like how baseball and hockey require only the ability to swing a stick and how American football and basketball require only the ability to throw a ball?
don't forget, being a surgeon only requires that you know how to cut and sew.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:10 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,100,290 times
Quote:

LOL, of course it's a sport. Many American athletes would fall over if they had to move that much in a game. It just isn't a primary sport Americans are familiar with.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:20 AM

791 posts, read 2,017,306 times
Futbol will do okay in the US. It will take a full generation of local broadcast to make it popular but it will get there. Twenty years ago you couldn't find a soccer broadcast in the US, unless it was in spanish. I now leave my TV on FSC (Fox Soccer Channel) unless there is something else I want to watch. Today alone I watched two live broadcasts from England (well, they were on and I could listen and look when something happened). Many times a week there are replays of MLS games, sometimes live.

And a real point here, is that there are more kids in the US playing soccer today than ever before. And many of those are staying with it and turning pro. But it takes a long time. For instance, in the mid-90's, the US played in the world cup. These were the best players in the US. Who even knew anyone played soccer in the US? Now, every major city has an MLS team with its own stadium. Granted, some of those stadiums are not as big as a high school football stadium.

Geez, right now, I'm watching a replay of Michigan @ Laredo and there's plenty of people in that stadium. Just a few weeks ago, the US won the CONCACAF (?) cup.

David Beckham will be good for soccer in the US and his move to LA will enhance that process. He's got the name, the image, the wife. Another twenty years and soccer will be holding its own. Especially as soon as the US wins its first 'Coupe de Monde'.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:11 AM

3,675 posts, read 7,843,264 times
Quote:

haha..haha..hehe..hehe... You obviously have never played soccer, NEVER...EVER... It's alot more than what you mentioned and you really have to be an athlete to play it. It's funny that people who have never played the game or know anything about it have such negative perception of it. Why is soccer so intimidating to ya'll?

Old 08-12-2007, 07:35 AM

1,872 posts, read 5,788,391 times
The one hurdle that soccer faces in the US is that you cannot easily watch good quality matches of TV.

I think to really appreciate the beautiful game, you need to watch the English and the Spanish leagues in particular. But how many people really get FSC and/or GolTV? You often have to get an cable/satellite expensive package to get both (that was my main criteria when picking which package to get).

And the thing that annoys me the most is ESPN and their handling of the UEFA Champions League. They buy up the rights to the matches, but then don't show them all. Instead, we get to see bullfighting, streetball, and other "important" sports. WTF? If you're not going to show all the matches, at least give the rights to someone who will, like FSC. And let's not get started on the commentating!

Old 08-12-2007, 08:52 PM

I have FSC but sometimes wonder if enough people are watching it to even justify my cable company continuing to carry it.

I hope so. I'm a relative newcomer to the sport, but I love watching the Premier League. Watched Liverpool/Villa on Saturday and Arsenal/Fulham on Sunday....those were great matches....very entertaining.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:42 AM

468 posts, read 1,516,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
I have FSC but sometimes wonder if enough people are watching it to even justify my cable company continuing to carry it.

I hope so. I'm a relative newcomer to the sport, but I love watching the Premier League. Watched Liverpool/Villa on Saturday and Arsenal/Fulham on Sunday....those were great matches....very entertaining.
Welcome to the sport!

I hope you won't limit yourself to just the EPL though. As you keep watching (and hopefully you will, its the greatest sport in the world), you'll realize each league has its individual identities, sort of. The Italian Serie A is notoriously defensive, where someone scores and the team ahead just sits on the goal, whereas the Spanish La Liga is more offensive. I prefer La Liga, as my favorite team is Barcelona, but Serie A can be a breathe of fresh air from time to time. I'd watch the Fox Sports World Report nightly also if I were you...I think it's at 10ET, 9CT...I wish I had that show more than anything else on television...

But seriously, for whoever said the game is about kicking and running, I'm sure you can do both; why don't you try it out for yourself? You will soon realize that players who play all over the world have excellent fitness for one. They spend the entire game running up and down the pitch. Not only that, but their precision in passing the ball, and shooting is something that doesn't come overnight, nor with genes. It takes practice. I love the sport for that reason. Just look at Zinedine Zidane...he's not the most athletic player in the World, but because of his unbelievable playmaking abilities, he is probably the most brilliant player in the world (or was, at least). You train at the sport, you will get better. It is ignorant to believe that soccer (no less ANY SPORT for that matter) is reliant on two characteristic qualities.

For anyone ripping Beckham: Yes, he is overpaid and a tad overrated. But he is such a solid playmaker in the midfield also. All his passes are brilliant, and his free-kicks are nothing short of sublime. Look at Real last year...when he was benched by Capello, the team was nothing short of un-inspired, lethargic, and lacking a playmaker. But when he came back, he helped lead them to the title. He's at the prime of his career and took his game to the US. I'm sure he'll be marketed well, but I think he's worth every penny, to bring the sport to the US. We need more kids to pick up the game after elementary school and stick with it, and I think Beckham's drawing power has the ability to do so.

For anyone reading this, just give it a shot. I know it's long and may seem boring, but you may be surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or