U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2009, 11:40 AM
 
1,817 posts, read 4,414,650 times
Reputation: 640

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
But few soccer games end in 3-2.

Most games(or shall I say matches) don't have more than 3 total goals!!! To find a game with 5 goals is rare.

0-1 or 0-0 or 0-2 are typical...
The post you are referring to is well over two years old.

Fell better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2009, 07:05 PM
 
1,645 posts, read 4,012,244 times
Reputation: 1682
Football (soccer) isn't an American sport, it's the WORLD's sport. Which, last time I checked the United States was a part of the world community.

We have these little niche sports here in the states that pale in comparison.....

A lot of Americans are missing out by not supporting this sport, supporting the domestic league (which is growing bigger and bigger every year, slowly but surely), and supporting their national team...because this is the ONLY sport on the planet that crowns a true world champion in a tournament that is bigger 100 times over than anything in the sporting world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2009, 07:50 PM
 
893 posts, read 627,066 times
Reputation: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
The post you are referring to is well over two years old.

Fell better?

FELL better??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2010, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,795,852 times
Reputation: 4060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
...because this is the ONLY sport on the planet that crowns a true world champion in a tournament that is bigger 100 times over than anything in the sporting world.
I had no idea the FIFA Club World Cup was that big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2010, 11:27 PM
 
1,645 posts, read 4,012,244 times
Reputation: 1682
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I had no idea the FIFA Club World Cup was that big.
Well, when you take into account that around 90 million people throughout the world watched that last Super Bowl (which is a pretty respectable number), versus the 800 million to 1.2 billion (hard to get a genuinely accurate number, most estimates are at 1 billion) that watched the World Cup Final in 06 you get a sense of how big it truly is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2010, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,795,852 times
Reputation: 4060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Well, when you take into account that around 90 million people throughout the world watched that last Super Bowl (which is a pretty respectable number), versus the 800 million to 1.2 billion (hard to get a genuinely accurate number, most estimates are at 1 billion) that watched the World Cup Final in 06 you get a sense of how big it truly is.
I don't think you're following me. I'm well aware that the World Cup draws many more viewers than the Super Bowl, but that's a national competition, not a club competition. So, to me, it's always been a bit of an apples-and-oranges comparison. At the club level, the only thing that could be called a world champion in soccer is the winner of the FIFA Club World Cup, but I don't think that competition draws as much interest as either the UEFA Champions League or Copa Libertadores.

In short, I was just jerking your chain a little. And for the record, to me it's the Super Bowl champion, not world champion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2010, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis
3,675 posts, read 7,839,669 times
Reputation: 2333
Completely changing the subject here, I can NOT wait till the World cup this summer!!!! I'm SO excited and glad that it'll be on ESPN this year. I hope the US has a great showing... Woo hooo..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2010, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,795,852 times
Reputation: 4060
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
I hope the US has a great showing... Woo hooo..
Me, too, but I'm not expecting much. The loss of Davies hurts, and Gooch likely won't be match fit in time for the WC. Both injuries hurt us tremendously at positions in which we're thin. Plus, there's the Bradley factor. Dempsey does well as a striker at Fulham, yet Bradley insists on playing out out of position at midfield.

Hopefully I'm wrong about all of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2010, 11:15 PM
 
1,817 posts, read 4,414,650 times
Reputation: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
FELL better??
You should go as 'spell check' for halloween.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 04:37 AM
 
1,645 posts, read 4,012,244 times
Reputation: 1682
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Me, too, but I'm not expecting much. The loss of Davies hurts, and Gooch likely won't be match fit in time for the WC. Both injuries hurt us tremendously at positions in which we're thin. Plus, there's the Bradley factor. Dempsey does well as a striker at Fulham, yet Bradley insists on playing out out of position at midfield.

Hopefully I'm wrong about all of this.
I agree with this. Most people think the Unites States and England are a shoe-in for the knockout round... I tend to disagree. Algeria could be the dark horse of the group, as those African teams always seem to be unpredictable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top