U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-03-2007, 08:13 AM
JJG JJG started this thread
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,248 posts, read 19,192,166 times
Reputation: 7010

Advertisements

Americans LOVE soccer. Especially when the MLS Cup comes around and millions of people here can't stop talking about it. They love to see the greatest athletes in the world compete in Major Leauge Soccer, one of the "Big Five". Any American can name 50 soccer stars at a time and enjoy watching them play on NBC, or FOX, or CBS anytime the game of the week shows... because, hey, we all know that soccer is the #1 sport in America.

And if you believe any of what I just typed above, you must be from Mars, because almost none of that is true.

Most Americans can name about 5 or 6 soccer players, and the sport is still not embraced by the country as a whole. Some of the fans in this country belive that Becks will save soccer in America. But let's be real here people. I'm just being completely honest with you when I say this, but David Beckham, to me, is more celebrity than athlete. Sorry futbol worshipers, but that's how I see him. And the thing that feeds into me thinking that is the fact that he chose to play in Los Angeles. L. A! The same city that had 3 NFL teams and lost them all. The same city that seems to care more about what Lindsey Lohan will do when she gets out of rehab, rather than what the Lakers will do to help Kobe out in the playoffs.

Soccer has been around for decades, and so has hockey. But which one of those two sports are more popular here. Which one has a leauge that has been around since 1917 and is apart of the Big Four, while the other has only been around since just 11 years ago? This country had years to get into soccer, but it hasn't. It didn't when Pele was here and I firmly believe that it wont happen anytime soon with Beckham.
Yeah, there are alot of kids that play soccer here, but they get older and get into more glamorus and promising sports like basketball, baseball, and our own football.
Bottom line is this:
Americans may never have passion for soccer the way the rest of the world does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-03-2007, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis
3,675 posts, read 7,847,247 times
Reputation: 2333
I'm a huge soccer fan/player/coach and as much as I'd like to disagree with you, I can't. You are exactly right! Soccer is not an American sport, it's just not. Maybe it'll change, maybe it won't, only time will tell. But, it won't be because of Beckham. As a soccerhead, I think Becks is good, but he's not great. In alot of ways, I think he's overrated. I wouldn't put him in the top 5 or 10 greatest footballers of all time. Some may disagree but he is not great, he's just good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2007, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Sheffield, England
2,639 posts, read 6,034,263 times
Reputation: 3257
Beckham is pretty much burned out anyway. If he was still playing at the level he was a few years ago he'd still be in the Premiership or playing in Europe.

Being British i'm in somewhat of a minority because I don't like soccer. Okay, playing it is fun but watching it makes watching paint dry seem thrilling. I really don't see the appeal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2007, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Portland, OR
51 posts, read 118,336 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Americans LOVE soccer. Especially when the MLS Cup comes around and millions of people here can't stop talking about it. They love to see the greatest athletes in the world compete in Major Leauge Soccer, one of the "Big Five". Any American can name 50 soccer stars at a time and enjoy watching them play on NBC, or FOX, or CBS anytime the game of the week shows... because, hey, we all know that soccer is the #1 sport in America.

And if you believe any of what I just typed above, you must be from Mars, because almost none of that is true.

Most Americans can name about 5 or 6 soccer players, and the sport is still not embraced by the country as a whole. Some of the fans in this country belive that Becks will save soccer in America. But let's be real here people. I'm just being completely honest with you when I say this, but David Beckham, to me, is more celebrity than athlete. Sorry futbol worshipers, but that's how I see him. And the thing that feeds into me thinking that is the fact that he chose to play in Los Angeles. L. A! The same city that had 3 NFL teams and lost them all. The same city that seems to care more about what Lindsey Lohan will do when she gets out of rehab, rather than what the Lakers will do to help Kobe out in the playoffs.

Soccer has been around for decades, and so has hockey. But which one of those two sports are more popular here. Which one has a leauge that has been around since 1917 and is apart of the Big Four, while the other has only been around since just 11 years ago? This country had years to get into soccer, but it hasn't. It didn't when Pele was here and I firmly believe that it wont happen anytime soon with Beckham.
Yeah, there are alot of kids that play soccer here, but they get older and get into more glamorus and promising sports like basketball, baseball, and our own football.
Bottom line is this:
Americans may never have passion for soccer the way the rest of the world does.
And your point is what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2007, 12:00 PM
 
Location: long island,new york
536 posts, read 1,099,687 times
Reputation: 618
soccer is just flat out boring compared to the other "major 4" in america. when a team is u 2-0 the game is pretty much over as scoring is very rare. maybe it would be interesting if they got rid of the goalie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2007, 01:32 PM
 
45 posts, read 115,434 times
Reputation: 43
Soccer, An American Sport? NO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2007, 02:27 PM
 
Location: England
578 posts, read 2,900,032 times
Reputation: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
Beckham is pretty much burned out anyway. If he was still playing at the level he was a few years ago he'd still be in the Premiership or playing in Europe.

Being British i'm in somewhat of a minority because I don't like soccer. Okay, playing it is fun but watching it makes watching paint dry seem thrilling. I really don't see the appeal.
Same here find soccer and cricket the most boring of sports, I dont even watch the big tournaments such as the world cup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2007, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Venice, Fl
1,497 posts, read 3,101,557 times
Reputation: 1389
Soccer an American sport ??? I think not my fellow sports fans !! Soccer will become a top sport embraced by Americans when we start bowing to the queen. And since that isn't going to happen I'll gladly take hockey and baseball and all that my Saints have to offer this season
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2007, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Sheffield, England
2,639 posts, read 6,034,263 times
Reputation: 3257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
Same here find soccer and cricket the most boring of sports, I dont even watch the big tournaments such as the world cup.
Oh dear God don't get me started on cricket. Yuck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2007, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,551 posts, read 16,397,409 times
Reputation: 5087
*maybe*
If everytime there was a goal scored, you could give 6 points for it, and everytime it went over the bar, give three, and maybe give one everytime a shot goes wide? That may make it more appealing to people who like to watch an 80 minute sport for three or four hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top