U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 07:58 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,096,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Sure he's only got 3-4 years of coaching experience, but he had the German team playing the most attractive soccer on the planet and they were almost good enough to win the 2006 World Cup.

He's married to an American, has a house in CA, so he's committed to America and understands American soccer's unique challenges. I'd take him over Mourinho and Ferguson who would probably be Capello-like flops (not that they are interested).
back to NE, i agree with a lot of your comments, but i don't agree with this one, i know its all about personal opinion, perception and an individuals interpretation of things regarding footballers and managers, but i honestly think klinsmann is not up to much as a manager and it would be a big mistake if the states took him on. the germans have been playing fantastic football recently, the the most attractive on the planet though! that honour goes to spain followed by holland then followed by germany then uruguay and chile. i would say the man behind the recent success of germany, and their great football is joachim low who was klinsmanns right hand man, then he took on the job full time then they took off. mourinho and ferguson are the two best managers on the planet, you would seriously take klinsmann over them?! c'mon now! i seriously think the states need to think outside the box, i think walter smith is the closest to alex ferguson you can get, a great manager, but is it worth the gamble, i don't know, but sometimes you have to take risks, an other manager that i think would suit the states is martin o'neil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 08:02 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,394,400 times
I dont think Klinsmann is up to the job either, but Walter Smith ? Where is he based out of ?

Not sure who I would pick right now tbh but he would have to have a good understanding of US football and its strenghts and limits. Last thing you need is a Trappatoni style manager who tries to make teams play a style of footballl that the national team is clearly not up to and screws things up. Last thing that US football needs is to be set back 10 years.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:19 AM

4,850 posts, read 6,366,804 times
Klinsmann works for the United States, I think. Maybe he's not the best but the demands for coaching Germany and Bayern Munich are much higher than coaching the United States. I think he has what it takes to build this squad over the next few years.

If a deal could be worked out I'd love to see Gus Hiddink. He is, however, tied down with Turkey at the moment.

Rafa Benitez has come up too. Interesting. Grant Wahl has reported it will be a name familiar to US soccer fans. This leads me to believe it's Klinsmann, Rafa or an MLS coach (Dominic Kinnear, Piotr Nowak or Sigi Schmid).

I can't wait to find out who it is. I just hope it's not Bruce Arena again.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:37 AM

Rafa Benitez ? I think that would be getting somebody for the sake of getting a big name. That would be a step backwards imho. I dunno though, I will have to let the good news sink in for a few days and think about who I would like for it.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:53 AM

4,850 posts, read 6,366,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Rafa Benitez ? I think that would be getting somebody for the sake of getting a big name. That would be a step backwards imho. I dunno though, I will have to let the good news sink in for a few days and think about who I would like for it.
Rafa has been "linked" since Liverpool gave him the axe. Likely hyped up by American fans on the internet who always want to link a famous European to USMNT or MLS.

A few days? Try later today. Set your thinking cap to 11.

Quote:
U.S. Soccer will have a further announcement on Friday.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:06 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,096,426 times
Quote:
I dont think Klinsmann is up to the job either, but Walter Smith ? Where is he based out of ?

Not sure who I would pick right now tbh but he would have to have a good understanding of US football and its strenghts and limits. Last thing you need is a Trappatoni style manager who tries to make teams play a style of footballl that the national team is clearly not up to and screws things up. Last thing that US football needs is to be set back 10 years.
why not? trust me he would do a great job, his knowledge of the game is second to none, anyway i just mentioned him as a possibility, my main point is the us would be going backwards if the had klinsmann as manager, seriously he is not up to much, and if the us team are wanting to improve and become a footballing power in the world, they need a manager along the lines of your alex fergusons, walter smiths, carlo ancelottis, someone who knows the game inside out, and is a man manager, a manager first and foremost, not someone who was a good player back in the day and people like, it also depends on what style of football you are wanting to play, british style, spanish style, european style, south american style and go with a manager who will bring the best for what the us as a footballing nation are wanting to do in the future

Old 07-29-2011, 09:20 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,973,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
back to NE, i agree with a lot of your comments, but i don't agree with this one, i know its all about personal opinion, perception and an individuals interpretation of things regarding footballers and managers, but i honestly think klinsmann is not up to much as a manager and it would be a big mistake if the states took him on. the germans have been playing fantastic football recently, the the most attractive on the planet though! that honour goes to spain followed by holland then followed by germany then uruguay and chile. i would say the man behind the recent success of germany, and their great football is joachim low who was klinsmanns right hand man, then he took on the job full time then they took off. mourinho and ferguson are the two best managers on the planet, you would seriously take klinsmann over them?! c'mon now! i seriously think the states need to think outside the box, i think walter smith is the closest to alex ferguson you can get, a great manager, but is it worth the gamble, i don't know, but sometimes you have to take risks, an other manager that i think would suit the states is martin o'neil.
Fair enough, alot of this is personal preference, for instance I don't think Spain plays particularly attractive football, they just mesmerize you with possession... Germany attacks with a varied arsenal. And recent versions of the Holland team have been very physical and savvy but not like the old days to watch.

And the manager of the US team needs to understand MLS, it's the feeder league even if help is appreciated from Europe. Things like the heat, the travel distances, the ease of CONCACAF, and the 2nd class sport mentality have thrown many foreign coaches and players for a loop here.

I know for a fact, if Klinsmann gets the job, US soccer fans will rejoice. And US soccer players will look forward to playing for him.

My only worry with Klinsmann is that the US may not be talented enough yet to play his style of football. Cheers

Old 07-29-2011, 10:42 AM

Klinsmann got the job.

Yes I am worried about him trying to make the US play a style of Football that they cannot play because of the skill level.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/u...er-team-072811

Old 07-29-2011, 10:43 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,805,434 times
Quote:
Klinsmann got the job.

Yes I am worried about him trying to make the US play a style of Football that they cannot play because of the skill level.

Bradley out as manager of US National team - News | FOX Sports on MSN
Here's the release from U.S. Soccer: Klinsmann Named Head Coach of U.S. MNT - U.S. Soccer

Old 07-29-2011, 10:47 AM

Being that he has been in the US and he is a Football man you know he watches MLS and the players abroad out of pure interest from the game so he does have that advantage. I dont think he would have been my first choice but I hope he plays a style of play that the US can do and they do well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer