U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2012, 07:24 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,307,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete MUFC View Post
This from a guy who was raving how Barca will destroy Chelsea, pihhhh.
They should have. They just could'nt finish. Madrid and Bayern on the other hand are finishing a lot more then Barca at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 07:29 AM

3,848 posts, read 3,969,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Tactically, I think that when you play a team like Barcelona, you have to accept that they'll dominate possession. If you fight that and try to play them at their own game, they'll beat you. Chelsea got it right on both legs - let Barca pass it around and play pretty football, but Chelsea were clinical in front of goal, which was the difference maker. I think they'll win the tournament now, even without Terry.
Yes, Chelsea seemed very comfortable and sly letting Barca have the ball and beating them on the counter (unlike Arsenal last year).

Barcelona seems to lack some grit this year, they don't have much size, or any high backbone players like Drogba, Terry and Lampard. I think the remaining 3 teams can win matches in a greater variety of ways.

The final will be a scorcher for sure!

Old 04-25-2012, 07:57 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,089,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
They should have. They just could'nt finish. Madrid and Bayern on the other hand are finishing a lot more then Barca at the moment.
Barca are better than Real and Bayern though, Chelsea will be able to match Real or Bayern attack wise in the final. Mata and Cole with their pace Torres and/or Drogba up front and Lampard with his vision, passing and forward runs from midfield will be dangerous against any team. And even though Terry and Ivanovic are suspended Chelsea still have decent options in defence with Cahill, Bosingwa, Bertrand and Essien and Mikel can play at the back to.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:34 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,539,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Yes, I am a big Chelsea fan. I don't know how I would feel having a national team manager get the job. Especially one from another country. DiMatteo has proved himself and the fans have taken to him. It will be a tough choice. Roman, who actually came into the bar here in Boston where I watch the matches, has had bad luck dealing with manages. I still miss Jose.
I think keeping DiMatteo is the best choice. Having played for Chelsea for 6 years and been an assistant manager there, he knows the club inside out.

Blanc is a risk, IMO. He did well at Bordeaux, but who knows if he'd succeed in England.

Chelsea's biggest problem is going to be replacing Lampard (eventually) and finding a striker that can net at least 20 goals a season. A bid for Man City's John Guidetti would be a sound move. He has bagged a ton of goals on loan at Feyenoord, but has little chance of breaking into the Man City first team unless Balotelli and Dzeko are sold.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Barca are better than Real and Bayern though, Chelsea will be able to match Real or Bayern attack wise in the final. Mata and Cole with their pace Torres and/or Drogba up front and Lampard with his vision, passing and forward runs from midfield will be dangerous against any team. And even though Terry and Ivanovic are suspended Chelsea still have decent options in defence with Cahill, Bosingwa, Bertrand and Essien and Mikel can play at the back to.
I know Barca are a better team but that does'nt mean that Madrid and Bayern are not scoring more goals. Barca rely on Messi a lot more then Madrid do Ronaldo. If Messi has a bad game then 9/10 Barca has a bad game. Its not the smae with Ronaldo and Madrid.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:32 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,089,804 times
Villa (when fit), Sanchez, Tiago, Fabregas, Xavi, Iniesta, Alves, Tello, Cuenca, Pedro, Afellay. Barcelona would still be the best attacking team in the world even without Messi. Of course Messi makes Barcelona a better side, but so does Ronaldo at Real. I can't count how many times Ronaldo has dug Real out of a hole this season, he is just as important to Real Madrid as Messi is to Barcelona.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:39 AM

3,722 posts, read 3,878,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Chelsea will not be able to hold off and defend in the final the way they did against Barca. They will need to attack and do all they can to score or else they will lose to Bayern or Madrid.
How do you figure? Chelsea obviously did not need to be an attacking team as was evident by the two Barca matches. They sat back, defended very well and hit them with a counter that produced 3 great goals. Chelsea can very well beat either Madrid or Bayern.

Quote:
I think keeping DiMatteo is the best choice. Having played for Chelsea for 6 years and been an assistant manager there, he knows the club inside out.

Blanc is a risk, IMO. He did well at Bordeaux, but who knows if he'd succeed in England.

Chelsea's biggest problem is going to be replacing Lampard (eventually) and finding a striker that can net at least 20 goals a season. A bid for Man City's John Guidetti would be a sound move. He has bagged a ton of goals on loan at Feyenoord, but has little chance of breaking into the Man City first team unless Balotelli and Dzeko are sold.
Who knows, Mario may very well be on his way out. He is too much of a headcase and is not a top tier player. If City don't win the league title, I am sure heads will roll up at Eastlands.

I hope DiMetteo remains. If Chelsea continue their form and at least win the FA Cup and get into the top 4, he should be kept on. The way the team has played has been great.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Villa (when fit), Sanchez, Tiago, Fabregas, Xavi, Iniesta, Alves, Tello, Cuenca, Pedro, Afellay. Barcelona would still be the best attacking team in the world even without Messi. Of course Messi makes Barcelona a better side, but so does Ronaldo at Real. I can't count how many times Ronaldo has dug Real out of a hole this season, he is just as important to Real Madrid as Messi is to Barcelona.
I think you misunderstood me. I know Barca are the best attcking team in the world and with those lads you mentioned able to score a lot of goals but I am talking about at the moment the likes of Madrid and Bayern are scoring more. That does'nt mean it wont go back to Barca scoring more.

Sorry Paul but I cant agree with you on Ronaldo being just as important to Madrid as Messi is to Barcelona. Ronaldo is a great player though no doubt about it and is very important to Madrid.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
How do you figure? Chelsea obviously did not need to be an attacking team as was evident by the two Barca matches. They sat back, defended very well and hit them with a counter that produced 3 great goals. Chelsea can very well beat either Madrid or Bayern.
You cant defend the way you defended against Barcelona in the final because you have nothing to defend. You will have to score to defend. You cant let the other finalist have all the possession like Barca did. You will have to play attacking football and score a goal or two before you can start defending the way you did against Barca.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:30 AM

1,634 posts, read 3,270,891 times
Quote:
I think keeping DiMatteo is the best choice.
There is not enough consistency with these new owners. Time and time again they are too quick to blame and get rid of the managers when they don't get the immediate satisfaction of winning the league.

Everyone can hate United all they want but they have done something no other top team has done in recent years, kept the same managed, these young players need someone who is a fixture at the club and not someone who will be there short term only.

Just a few weeks ago Mancini was talking about being fired at the end of the season, that's just stupid, he is the most successful manager at City in decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer