U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 11:14 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,103,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I am not sure tbh, you could be right. You never know why the media does things. I also questioned why Irish sports channel Setanta never showed any Irish football too ......
I know that's weird, I watch the Irish football highlights often, on RTE player
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 12:22 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,401,847 times
Yeh me too, I use shelstv.com too considering theyre me boys

Old 08-14-2011, 06:18 AM

175 posts, read 172,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
It's not about being taken seriously, it is about coverage and the South American leagues lack that exposure that the European leagues do.
Very true, i love the Argentine and Brazilian leagues, but zero coverage over here .
Some top players and the fans are brilliant over there.
Cant believe River plate were relegated. Has the season kicked off yet? how are they getting on in the second tier?

Old 08-15-2011, 08:47 AM

5,426 posts, read 6,403,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Yes, South American futbol is taken seriously in Europe. The European clubs routinely send scouts over to check out the rising stars. Look at all of the SA players in Spain, England, Italy, Germany, the Netherlands and so forth.

Real Madrid just signed a 7-year-old Argentinian to a contract to tie him up for the next year. He will play at their youth academy.

Real Madrid's 7-Year Old Itch Makes Financial Sense With Minimal Risk - Forbes
^

South American football doesn't get the same attention as European football gets but it's getting more popular each year.

The most i get is Mexican football (which i don't pay attention to), but little South American attention.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Yes, South American futbol is taken seriously in Europe. The European clubs routinely send scouts over to check out the rising stars. Look at all of the SA players in Spain, England, Italy, Germany, the Netherlands and so forth.

Real Madrid just signed a 7-year-old Argentinian to a contract to tie him up for the next year. He will play at their youth academy.

Real Madrid's 7-Year Old Itch Makes Financial Sense With Minimal Risk - Forbes
But the same can be said of a lot of countries, most African, Central American countries, Scotland, Ireland, Portugal, Holland, Australia, The Baltic and Balkan States, Russia, plenty of countries get their leagues and national teams best players 'pinched' by the clubs of the European powerhouse leagues like England, Spain, Italy and Germany, so it's not just South American countries, It's the individual players choice also, they all want to play in these leagues

Old 08-15-2011, 10:39 AM

831 posts, read 2,081,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycee View Post
Very true, i love the Argentine and Brazilian leagues, but zero coverage over here .
Some top players and the fans are brilliant over there.
Cant believe River plate were relegated. Has the season kicked off yet? how are they getting on in the second tier?
Hi, boycee. The second tier season already kicked off last week, but River will have its first match tomorrow, Tuesday 16 at 7.10 PM, Argentine time. The delay is because River played more games than the other teams last season in the first tier.

So, the first match of River Plate will be home against Chacarita Juniors.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
But the same can be said of a lot of countries, most African, Central American countries, Scotland, Ireland, Portugal, Holland, Australia, The Baltic and Balkan States, Russia, plenty of countries get their leagues and national teams best players 'pinched' by the clubs of the European powerhouse leagues like England, Spain, Italy and Germany, so it's not just South American countries, It's the individual players choice also, they all want to play in these leagues
Well, that's true. But as regards South American players playing in Europe, I'll tell you something. One of the reasons they want to play in European leagues is because of the money. Think, for example, why there are virtually no European players playing in South America. First, because they would earn much less than in Europe, but apart from that, a South American club wouldn't be willing to pay tremendous amounts of money to buy a player with talent, while they can find hundreds of South American players with the same individual talent at a much lower price. So, this also speaks of the quality players that South America produces.

BTW, I still find that there South American football as a whole is a bit underrated in the world. Not only from the point of view of quality players and game, but from the point of view of history.

PS: I acknowledge European quality football, especially as regards team play.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:06 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,772,344 times
From the standpoint of Europeans, why would they need to pay attention to Latin Leagues when they have their powerhouse leagues and the Champs/Euro?

In America if a Latin league is followed it's the Mexican one due to Demographics.

What's more it's just that European and American leagues and media markets are more wealthy and organized than their southern counterparts.

(Ok not so much the american league but you get what I mean).

Old 08-15-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
From the standpoint of Europeans, why would they need to pay attention to Latin Leagues when they have their powerhouse leagues and the Champs/Euro?

In America if a Latin league is followed it's the Mexican one due to Demographics.

What's more it's just that European and American leagues and media markets are more wealthy and organized than their southern counterparts.

(Ok not so much the american league but you get what I mean).
I understand your pinto, but by the same token I could say "why would we South Americans pay attention to European leagues when we have our own leagues, which cater to our own tastes?" On a side, note, here the European leagues are known and some matches are shown on TV (cable channels), and not more than that, but what I mean is that football fans here can name more than two or three or more teams from the Euro leagues, and some do follow the Euro leagues.

What really triggered me to post this thread is this video of the River Plate vs Belgrano match that sent River Plate to relegation. In this video you can hear the voice of a commentator with a British accent (at least it seems that to me). So, was this match broadcast in the UK? I wonder.

[HD] River Plate Relegated vs Belgrano [HUGE RIOTS INSIDE AND OUTSIDE STADIUM] Estadio Monumental - YouTube

Old 08-15-2011, 03:02 PM

I watched the River Plate vs Belgrano matches, they were really good and exciting, I had to watch them online though, the only way for the South American leagues to get more coverage in Europe, well here in the UK anyway, is for one of the big broadcasters BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, Sky Sports or ESPN UK, to show the matches
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or