U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 04:47 PM

2,845 posts, read 3,935,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
But the same can be said of a lot of countries, most African, Central American countries, Scotland, Ireland, Portugal, Holland, Australia, The Baltic and Balkan States, Russia, plenty of countries get their leagues and national teams best players 'pinched' by the clubs of the European powerhouse leagues like England, Spain, Italy and Germany, so it's not just South American countries, It's the individual players choice also, they all want to play in these leagues
The last time that I checked, Scotland, Ireland, Portugal, Holland, the Baltics, the Balkans, and Russia were also considered part of Europe, and UEFA.

What the OP was talking about was South American futbol and how seriously it is taken in Europe and the USA. Considering that both Brazil and Argentina have won the World Cup multiple times (and Uruguay once), I can say that their national leagues are taken very seriously by Europeans and knowledgeable USAmericans. Australia, Africa and Central America? Not so much.

River Plate, Boca Juniors, Flamengo, SC Internacional, Corinthians,...these are some of the SA clubs known worldwide and taken seriously. Just because the US networks are still somewhat clueless doesn't make SA futbol less so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 06:20 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,089,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
The last time that I checked, Scotland, Ireland, Portugal, Holland, the Baltics, the Balkans, and Russia were also considered part of Europe, and UEFA.

What the OP was talking about was South American futbol and how seriously it is taken in Europe and the USA. Considering that both Brazil and Argentina have won the World Cup multiple times (and Uruguay once), I can say that their national leagues are taken very seriously by Europeans and knowledgeable USAmericans. Australia, Africa and Central America? Not so much.

River Plate, Boca Juniors, Flamengo, SC Internacional, Corinthians,...these are some of the SA clubs known worldwide and taken seriously. Just because the US networks are still somewhat clueless doesn't make SA futbol less so.
Are you being serious with this comment or what? I am talking about the quality players from countries I mentioned, plus other parts of the world (including South America!), who get 'pinched' for the big 4 European leagues, then you are talking about how Argentina and Brazil have won the world cup before?! What's that got to do with anything? That's not what the OP's asking, and it sure isn't what I am referring to!

Old 08-16-2011, 11:40 AM

830 posts, read 2,075,099 times
Quote:
I hadn't realized that, but it's true.

Quote:
Are you being serious with this comment or what? I am talking about the quality players from countries I mentioned, plus other parts of the world (including South America!), who get 'pinched' for the big 4 European leagues, then you are talking about how Argentina and Brazil have won the world cup before?! What's that got to do with anything? That's not what the OP's asking, and it sure isn't what I am referring to!
Well, paull805, in fact, I think there is a connection (however distant it may be) between winning World Cups and having good players to play for national teams, and getting 'pinched' for the big 4 European leagues. Sure, there are a lot of these players whose nationality hasn't done well in at national team level, but I have the impression that South American football players in Europe are proportionally more than players of other nationalities. (I may be wrong, though).

Old 08-16-2011, 11:57 AM

Well IMO Holland have been a better team than Argentina and Brazil for a while now, just because they haven't won the world cup doesn't mean anything, Argentina haven't won the world cup since 1986 and Brazil haven't won it since 2002 and are in decline if you ask me, so what in reality has that got to do with what you are asking?! All I am saying is that South America isn't the only one dealing with this problem, a lot of countries best national teams players play in foreign countries

Old 08-16-2011, 12:07 PM

2,564 posts, read 4,652,276 times
Quote:
Considering that both Brazil and Argentina have won the World Cup multiple times (and Uruguay once)
Uruguay won the World Cup two times, in 1930 (the first World Cup, at home) and in 1950 (in Brazil, against Brazil - "El Maracanazo").

The "Celeste Olimpica" is a superpower of football.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:20 PM

2,564 posts, read 4,652,276 times
It's a pity that you can't watch the Brazilian premier league ("Brasileirão - Série A") on TV.

Brasileirão is a very competitive league, with many good players, and breathtaking matches.

The team I'm fan is Ceará Sporting Club, from Fortaleza. Ceará was promoted to the premier league ("Série A") since 2010, and 2011 is the second consecutive year the team is disputing Série A. The team is know as "Vozão" (the "Big Grandpa").

Arrocha Vozão!! Amarra as alma!

Old 08-16-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Well IMO Holland have been a better team than Argentina and Brazil for a while now, just because they haven't won the world cup doesn't mean anything, Argentina haven't won the world cup since 1986 and Brazil haven't won it since 2002 and are in decline if you ask me, so what in reality has that got to do with what you are asking?! All I am saying is that South America isn't the only one dealing with this problem, a lot of countries best national teams players play in foreign countries
Yes, I acknowlegde that, but still, there have been historical reasons which tie Football to South America and Europe whereas not so much with the other continents until recently. My point was just finding out (or at least having some idea) through this forum whether this perspective (recognizing Europe and South America as the powers of football globally) is shared in Europe and in the USA, and why not, in the rest of the world, now that I think of it. My conclusion is that NO.

The thing is, whenever I hear the word 'football', I immediately think of Europe and South America as the places where this sport is most developed as regards popularity, money invested (yes, in Europe it's more, but proportionally to South American resources, the money invested in football is great), competitive leagues, good national teams and the like.

But it seems that in Europe and the USA (and I don't know the rest of the world) they only think in Europe as the mecca of football.

Well, I feel it's a bit unfair but then I understand that I may be wrong...

Thanks to all for the insight.

Cheers,

Old 08-16-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
It's a pity that you can't watch the Brazilian premier league ("Brasileirão - Série A") on TV.

Brasileirão is a very competitive league, with many good players, and breathtaking matches.

The team I'm fan is Ceará Sporting Club, from Fortaleza. Ceará was promoted to the premier league ("Série A") since 2010, and 2011 is the second consecutive year the team is disputing Série A. The team is know as "Vozão" (the "Big Grandpa").

Arrocha Vozão!! Amarra as alma!
I should take a look at the Brasileirao (sorry I don't have that accent on the a :P). Sadly, I now realize that Brazilian football is not shown in Argentina, AFAIK, and I guess the reverse is also true. So, that's a pity really.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
I should take a look at the Brasileirao (sorry I don't have that accent on the a :P). Sadly, I now realize that Brazilian football is not shown in Argentina, AFAIK, and I guess the reverse is also true. So, that's a pity really.
lol how do you expect Europeans to watch the South American leagues if you don't watch each others!

Old 08-16-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
lol how do you expect Europeans to watch the South American leagues if you don't watch each others!
Yes, it's true! But at least we follow the Copa Libertadores very eagerly! And there are many South American players from different nationalities playing in other South American countries. Argentinians playing in Chile, Colombia, Colombians playing in Argentina, etc. I think it's the Copa Libertadores what bring us South Americans together (or apart! lol).

And BTW, I'm still not sure that South American leagues aren't shown in each other's countries. What's sure is that European leagues ARE shown in South America.

Cheers,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or