U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:07 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,106,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
very interesting thread!

Just wanna say that i agree with sanfel questions on why SA futbol isnt more known (i mean clubs futbol) considering that South America, or should i be more clear, ARGENTINA and BRASIL, clearly produce the best futbol players in the world. It must be something about genetics. Think historically about superplayers in the history of soccer and you will see how stunning the numbers are for argentina and brasil. I could bet anything that the percentege of great futbol player per individual is the highest in argentina and brasil.

Also, in Uruguay, they are 3 millons! I mean only 3 millions and they won copa american and end up 4th in world cup!! And they are 3 millons. If you think about it probably 97% of uruguayans are great soccer players.

So, to sum up, probably the best players do go to europe cause they are offered millions of euros, but the factory of the great players is here. Thats why thousands of scouts come every year and take out 7 year old kids to europe to make them play there. Why would they do that instead of taking their own players?

Simple. Because Europe does not have any Maradona or Messi or Ronaldo. They are here. Best futbol players are born in southamerica. Period.

That's the typical narrow minded opinions of a lot of South Americans, no wonder Europeans don't bother. Yeah Brazil and Argentina produce great players but so does Spain (Iniesta, Xavi, Fabregas, Silva, Villa, Torres, Xavi Alonso) Holland (Sneijder, Van der Vaart, Robben, Van Persie) Portugal (Ronaldo who is Portuguese not South American as you seem to think! Coentrao, Moutinho, Meireles, Nani) Germany (schweinsteiger, Neuer, Lahm, Özil, Muller, Khedira) England (Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Ferdinand, Cole, Lennon) France (Benzema, Ribery, Nasri, Evra, Malouda) and other European players like Ibrahimanovic, Dzeko, Bale, Hazzard etc and there is other European and non European players who are world class. Who are the best team's in the world? Holland, Spain and Germany all European. So I am sorry to say but you need to come off your high horse and realise the world as a whole produces great players not just Argentina and Brazil, that seriously takes in to question your knowledge of football if you think that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 08:15 AM

1,634 posts, read 3,275,072 times
I think she was talking of fat Ronaldo!

Old 08-30-2011, 09:02 AM

lol I thought that, fair dos he banged the goals in, but was never my best player!

Old 08-30-2011, 09:24 AM

1,634 posts, read 3,275,072 times
What's funny is that she mentioned 3 players and 2 of those are retired. So basically her argument is, we have Messi. Which technically they don't because he plays in Spain, in a league which will give him more international exposure and money which he would never get playing in SA.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:06 PM

205 posts, read 478,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
What's funny is that she mentioned 3 players and 2 of those are retired. So basically her argument is, we have Messi. Which technically they don't because he plays in Spain, in a league which will give him more international exposure and money which he would never get playing in SA.
I go farder, messi have been educated in spain since he was 13 years old, and his football style is spanish, to be precise, barça style.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:16 PM

Exactly, if anything Spain produced the footballer we all love not Argentina. He obviously had talent being brought up in Argentina, but without a doubt he is a better player for many, many years at Barcelona. He was there at the most important years for a footballer, his early teens.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:43 PM

831 posts, read 2,083,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Exactly, if anything Spain produced the footballer we all love not Argentina. He obviously had talent being brought up in Argentina, but without a doubt he is a better player for many, many years at Barcelona. He was there at the most important years for a footballer, his early teens.
It's both, the talent brought from Argentina and the years at Barcelona. In any case, I don't particularly think SA football is the best, I just say it is underrated in view of the fact that is isn't given due coverage.

BTW, Messi isn't the only Argentinian or South American player who had or is having success in Europe.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:08 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,406,753 times
Messi isnt, but its what Sophie brought up. A player who was nurtured in Barcelona. Not a great argument. At Sophie's argument and the way things are put forward I would line up Tevez and his horrible attitude as a great example

Old 12-18-2011, 09:36 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,676,685 times
Don't really know where to put it, so I'll put it here...I saw the World Cup Club final Santos - FC Barcelona and Barcelona were their usual phenomenal selves . Jesus, if those guys go at it...incredible, sublime, out of this world!

0-4, and it could have been more (two Barcelona players - forgotten who - hit the post).

Old 12-18-2011, 10:09 AM

Yeah they made Santos (who are a good team) look average, but then they make most teams look average!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or