U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 10:46 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,401,847 times

Advertisements

Sounds like you got a better selection of Football than we do Teak!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 06:13 AM

643 posts, read 981,647 times
I think Scotland has a lack of appeal to big name players. Sort of what English teams would be like without the money. If a player does well in Scotland he is likely to be bought by an EPL team that does well in Scotland will get bought by an EPL team.
I do hope that Scottish football does improve though, i would much rather play in Glasgow than Moscow.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:19 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,676,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
I do hope that Scottish football does improve though, i would much rather play in Glasgow than Moscow.
Same thing: I've always admired the great atmosphere in the Scottish stadiums and I think it's a sad thing Celtic and Rangers failed to qualify for the Europa League.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:18 AM

1,634 posts, read 3,274,360 times
Bpl?

Old 08-30-2011, 08:57 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,754,815 times
A team gets better by playing teams that are as good or better than they are. You do not improve by playing squads you are better than especially game after game. The lack of parity and competition balance within the Scottish league is a major issue. Parity is actually an issue all across the board with European soccer but it seems to be worse in Scotland. The league either needs to find away to balance things a bit and create more competition for the big three teams or those teams need to be put into the EPL. I think Scotland and England should combine their leagues. I know a lot of Scots and English hate that idea but I think everyone would end up liking it in the long run.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
A team gets better by playing teams that are as good or better than they are.
By qualifying for Europe they will do.

Quote:
I think Scotland and England should combine their leagues. I know a lot of Scots and English hate that idea
Quote:
I know a lot of Scots and English hate that idea
Quote:
a lot of Scots and English hate that idea
Quote:
Scots and English hate that idea
Then why on earth would they combine leagues?

Old 08-30-2011, 10:01 AM

No idea why anybody would want to combine leagues. Besides, England would gain nothing from having the Old Firm play in the EPL.

Putting a team from one league into another country's leagueis a bad idea, kind of spoken by somebody who supports a league built on franchises, not on clubs.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:58 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,350,468 times
There are a couple of different problems .......

First is that UEFA, by financially favouring the larger countries have marginalized the small leagues and not just Scotland. Countries like The Netherlands, Belgium and Portugal used to be a force in European football. Now, they simply cannot compete withe the big countries.

Second is that the big leagues are increasingly uncompetitive. In England, that league is dominated by two or three clubs (Man Utd., Chelsea) and it takes millions to even try to compete. Same in Spain where it is increasingly a two horse league between Real Madrid and Barcelona. Same in Italy, same in France, same in Germany.

European football needs a fundamental reconstruction or interest is going to wane. Even a Manchester United needs competition to keep the fans interested. For me, the answer is a European league structure with maybe two or three divisions. That would provide more competition at every level and it would ensure that the money is better distributed between good teams in small or big countries.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:26 PM

Man Utd fans dont want competition, they want to win everything thats why they are Utd "Fans". If City start winning the league and going on a big run like Utd have been on the tables will be reversed.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Man Utd fans dont want competition, they want to win everything thats why they are Utd "Fans". If City start winning the league and going on a big run like Utd have been on the tables will be reversed.
Oh the woeful, pitiful song of a Liverpool fan!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer