U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 01:55 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,745,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
By qualifying for Europe they will do.
That's a limited number of games per season. That will do very little especially when they exit early.

Quote:
Then why on earth would they combine leagues?
It's a good business decision and it makes UK football stronger. The EPL gets all the revenue and following of Rangers and Celtic and Scottish football gets their teams to play against stiffer competition and improves their sides so that they can compete in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
No idea why anybody would want to combine leagues. Besides, England would gain nothing from having the Old Firm play in the EPL.
You cannot be serious. You think that the EPL would gain nothing from the Old Firm joining the league? I could write in entire essay on everything that could be gained from such a combination. Two of the world's most storied and followed clubs plus what may be the most intense rivalry in all of sports and they gain nothing? They gain a ton. They gain millions upon millions in revenue every single season, the publicity, the players, I could go on and on and on about the things they would gain.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:20 PM

1,634 posts, read 3,270,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
It's a good business decision and it makes UK football stronger. The EPL gets all the revenue and following of Rangers and Celtic and Scottish football gets their teams to play against stiffer competition and improves their sides so that they can compete in Europe.
No Rangers or Celtic fan wants to be part of a league called the English Premier League and we know the English FA are not going to rename the league the English and Scottish Premier League.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
it makes UK football stronger.
Not sure how the Welsh and Northern Irish football teams benefit? Care to explain that one?

Old 08-30-2011, 02:53 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,089,804 times
Quote:
No Rangers or Celtic fan wants to be part of a league called the English Premier League and we know the English FA are not going to rename the league the English and Scottish Premier League.

Not sure how the Welsh and Northern Irish football teams benefit? Care to explain that one?
Trust me, the VAST majority of old firm fans want to join the EPL, Wales already has 3 teams in the English leagues Swansea, Cardiff and Wrexham. And I am sure the Northern Irish sides Glentoran FC, Linfield FC (great Belfast derby btw) and Portadown FC may also be up for a British league as it would make there team's stronger, Belfast deserves a quality team, but can't have one because of the league there in. Countries as small as Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales can't really be expected to produce great team's, the the thing with small populations there isn't the same infrastructure and pool of players to pick from, but each country, especially Scotland, have punched above there weight but thing's need to change to sustain a decent level of football in these countries, I for one would love to see a UK league, we should all have to start at the very bottom and work our way up though.

Last edited by paull805; 08-30-2011 at 03:01 PM..

Old 08-30-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Like I said, I know the fans would not like the move at first but if the sides talk and it is profitable for both, it could happen.

Quote:
I never said it would make Welsh and Northern Irish football stronger. You dont have to improve all parts to make something better.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:59 PM

1,634 posts, read 3,270,891 times
I'm surprised that Rangers and Celtic fans want to be part of the EPL!

Old 08-30-2011, 03:00 PM

643 posts, read 980,620 times
Celtic and Rangers joining the EPL would benefit Celtic and Rangers therefore this would not happen.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:05 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,089,804 times
Quote:
I'm surprised that Rangers and Celtic fans want to be part of the EPL!
why surprised?! It's the best league in the world and there teams are getting worse year on year. In a few years with the EPL money the old firm could be up there with the best, and that's why I think it will never happen.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:04 PM

2,845 posts, read 3,935,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Man Utd fans dont want competition, they want to win everything thats why they are Utd "Fans". If City start winning the league and going on a big run like Utd have been on the tables will be reversed.
So very true. Here in Malaysia, they wouldn't be ManU "fans" unless ManU won nearly everything every year. The year that Arsenal won the double (that was a long time ago, eh?), a bunch of colleagues who always wore ManU kits started wearing the Arsenal kit. With ManU raising a ton of money on the Stinkapore stock exchange, there will be intense pressure from shareholders for them to keep the winning franchise going. Abundant financial resources does not always produce competitive leagues. I saw a couple of matches two years back where ManU were given extra extra time either to get the tying goal or the winning goal. It was quite obvious what the ref was doing.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:55 PM

205 posts, read 477,281 times
What about an European league instead of champions league? would that make a competitive league?
benfica,barcelona,manchester,ajax,madrid,lyon,baye rn,milan,inter,oporto,chelsea...
(sorry for my english)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer