U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 06:57 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,392,934 times

Advertisements

European League would be terrible IMHO. All the big rivalries, derby's etc would be gone. That's the biggest thing you look for in a season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 09:49 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,337,177 times
A European league is the only way big teams in small countries have a chance of surviving. It is also the only way to re-inject some real competition in a sport in which each national league is slowly being dominated by two or three clubs. Right now, it is no more rewarding to be a supporter of Sevilla than it is to support Inverness. Neither can be competitive against the two big clubs in their league. The same is true for England where only four teams have ever won the EPL. Maybe Manchester City can "buy" it this year. But can they really sustain a challenge over a period of time.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:50 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,337,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
European League would be terrible IMHO. All the big rivalries, derby's etc would be gone. That's the biggest thing you look for in a season.
Not necessarily. In fact, it might make the occasion even more special because they would play each other less frequently. Last season, Rangers and Celtic played each other seven times. That is far too much.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:54 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,392,934 times
I dont think so. When the season fixtures come out the first thing I look for is the derbys and the big games. Less a season would be less interest. The less the history between teams the less the attention I give it.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:55 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,095,038 times
Well done to Scotland u/21s beating the Netherlands in Holland, looking good for the national side at least.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:50 AM

Didn't know where to post this, but what a Scottish cup semi final at hampden today Fallon scored the best goal I have seen this season but his Aberdeen side were still beaten 2-1 by Hibernian and with Hearts playing Celtic tomorrow it could end up being an Edinburgh derby final, that's what I am hoping for! And on the broader thing about the quality of Scottish football I think the 2nd half of this season has proved that with the likes of Celtic, Motherwell, Dundee United (hate to say that lol) and Kilmarnock playing great football and in Europe next season and teams like Hearts and St Johnstone who can also be in Europe next season playing good also I think the future is brighter especially with our under 21 national team beaten top Europe nations regularly and our senior national team playing fairly decent aswell.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:39 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,920,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
You cannot be serious. You think that the EPL would gain nothing from the Old Firm joining the league? I could write in entire essay on everything that could be gained from such a combination. Two of the world's most storied and followed clubs plus what may be the most intense rivalry in all of sports and they gain nothing? They gain a ton. They gain millions upon millions in revenue every single season, the publicity, the players, I could go on and on and on about the things they would gain.
Except for the small uncomfortable fact that nobody here wants them and their parochial sectarian hatred. At a time when Scotland is moving towards political separation, you can't have the best of both worlds.

Should Villa and QPR be relegated to make room for two foreign clubs nobody is interested in? How about throwing Plymouth and Barnet out of the Football League despite them surviving relegation? At least the Welsh clubs are there on merit and have paid their dues over the decades.

I might have some sympathy if they were offering to start at the lowest level of the Northern League and work their way up on merit. We have a pyramid system that should not be distorted to rescue two clubs who have spoiled their own country's league, and cannot even survive financially despite their duopoly.

You might need us, but we most definitely don't need you.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:54 AM

Most fans don't want the move, only a handful of Celtic fans and a bigger section of Rangers fans, the rest of Scotland know we need the old firm. It is never gonna happen anyhow.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:32 PM

7,148 posts, read 7,974,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
Except for the small uncomfortable fact that nobody here wants them and their parochial sectarian hatred. At a time when Scotland is moving towards political separation, you can't have the best of both worlds.

Should Villa and QPR be relegated to make room for two foreign clubs nobody is interested in? How about throwing Plymouth and Barnet out of the Football League despite them surviving relegation? At least the Welsh clubs are there on merit and have paid their dues over the decades.

I might have some sympathy if they were offering to start at the lowest level of the Northern League and work their way up on merit. We have a pyramid system that should not be distorted to rescue two clubs who have spoiled their own country's league, and cannot even survive financially despite their duopoly.

You might need us, but we most definitely don't need you.

i think rangers and celtic joining the EPL would be a good idea, apart from the fact that both teams should be well able to stay up , their inclusion would cut them down to size and force them to focus on the football , they are both legends in the small , petty league which is the SPL , no one would have any time for the sectarianism in the EPL and it might force both sides to forget what seperates them , they also would only get to play each other twice per year , familiary breeds contempt

thing is though , the sectarian divide is in a twisted way what makes theese two teams stand out and undoubtabley keeps them rich and by association the entire SPL , bigots have money too , perhaps if they joined the big boys down south , their insignificance and lack of success would leave them indistinguishable from any other team and the fans would drift away

Old 05-29-2012, 12:38 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,920,439 times
Who should be relegated to make way for them?

One thing I would support is replacing the league cup with some kind of British Isles cup. Small teams could have early qualifying rounds, with the chance of playing big foreign teams later on, with maybe a European spot for the winners. Manchester United playing in Ireland, or Gillingham playing in Edinburgh would really catch the imagination of fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer