U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-01-2012, 05:16 AM
 
7,149 posts, read 7,992,198 times
Reputation: 4388

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
No they ar not. They would struggle in the PL. There is a difference between playing Scottish football and PL football. If you are the top team in Scotland well then that would probaly be a top 10 team in the PL.
i mean big in terms of their support base
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-01-2012, 05:48 AM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,310,230 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
i mean big in terms of their support base
But what you need to take into account is how many of Celtic and Rangers fans in the world support a PL team already. Like Ireland for example. Most people support Celtic here but most of them support a PL team too. Its the same all over the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2012, 01:58 PM
 
7,149 posts, read 7,992,198 times
Reputation: 4388
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
But what you need to take into account is how many of Celtic and Rangers fans in the world support a PL team already. Like Ireland for example. Most people support Celtic here but most of them support a PL team too. Its the same all over the world.
you could say the same about spurs supporters who also support a team in scotland , hardcore celtic and rangers supporters are not going to defect to sunderland or wigan should the old firm go south , those who spend money going to games are not going to switch

its a fringe issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2012, 03:50 PM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,310,230 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
you could say the same about spurs supporters who also support a team in scotland , hardcore celtic and rangers supporters are not going to defect to sunderland or wigan should the old firm go south , those who spend money going to games are not going to switch

its a fringe issue
Yes I know that but I am talking about their global support. Lets be honest most global fans of these two clubs are also fans of the likes of Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2012, 07:29 AM
 
7,149 posts, read 7,992,198 times
Reputation: 4388
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Yes I know that but I am talking about their global support. Lets be honest most global fans of these two clubs are also fans of the likes of Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea etc....
those fans add very little to a teams coffers bar buying a jersey once every few years and besides , i dont see why they would be less likely to spend on the old firm clubs just because they moved south
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2012, 07:40 AM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,310,230 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
those fans add very little to a teams coffers bar buying a jersey once every few years and besides , i dont see why they would be less likely to spend on the old firm clubs just because they moved south
Not really. It depends where you are from. Fair enough maybe in America but not in Asia or Europe where people spend thousands in their clubs shops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2012, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
4,854 posts, read 6,379,000 times
Reputation: 5804
I purchased a patch from the Fighting Fund. No money raised goes to Craig Whyte, Duff & Phelps or HMRC. It came out to around 10 USD.

The Rangers Fans Fighting Fund - We don't do walking away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2012, 03:57 PM
 
7,149 posts, read 7,992,198 times
Reputation: 4388
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Not really. It depends where you are from. Fair enough maybe in America but not in Asia or Europe where people spend thousands in their clubs shops.
and you think that would stop if celtic and rangers joined the EPL ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2012, 11:47 AM
 
Location: England
3,250 posts, read 3,148,673 times
Reputation: 3210
I don't believe that there is any way Rangers & Celtic would be invited into the EPL. Into the Championship, maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2012, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,109,741 times
Reputation: 4093
Why don't they start from the very bottom, I am sure with their money they are capable of moving up through the leagues quickly. And with their fan base I am sure they can attract a rich investor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top