U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 03:12 PM

7,548 posts, read 16,381,882 times

Advertisements

Yes, the already full stadiums some teams are having will never take on.

Have fun

Old 10-04-2011, 04:15 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,085,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
What am I doing? I am in a soccer forum arguing with soccer fans.... I will step away quietly and let you guys get back to watching a bunch of guys in shorts run around after a ball....
You will be sorely missed!

.......not

Old 10-05-2011, 10:37 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,742,687 times
Quote:
This is just plain wrong erroneous information WOW ..ARE YOU KIDDING ME? ..nice try.
So, you are saying that people that worked in the industry at that time are lying in books about this? There are quotes from people that worked for the NFL saying the same thing in some books I have read. They talked about the uphill battle they had with some media outlets and prominent media members. What motivation do they have to lie about this.

Again, do you know every single person that worked in the media during that time? Have you talked to all of them? Do you know all of them personally that you can verify this?

You claimed that NO ONE had an issue with the NFL. You are making a claim that every single person that worked in the media with the 60s covered the NFL and thought it would last. That's incorrect. There are books out there that proof that.

Quote:
Oh and if you want soccer to get more popular, get rid of that stupid offside rule..its subjective and creates tons of controversy.
Soccer is the most popular sport in the world, by far. Nothing else even comes close. They do not need to get rid off the offside rule. Without it, you ruin the sport and it would simply become a ping pong match with forward cherry picking goals. The beauty of the game comes from trying to beat the offside trap.

Quote:
You know what Americans saw in the World Cup..a bunch of low scoring games decided by officials in many cases.
You really like to speak for other people, dont you? I'm an American and I didnt see that at all. The millions upon millions of people that watched and enjoyed the games apparently didnt either.

The World Cup had excellent ratings in the U.S. and we had watch parties in downtown KC with thousands of people every single day for an entire month in our entertainment district including 20,000 people that showed up for the U.S. v. Ghana game.

Quote:
the game is BORING to most people..why can't you understand this?
The most popular sport in the world is boring to most people? Do you think before you type or do you constantly spew the same untrue vomit with your keyboard?

Old 10-05-2011, 10:40 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,742,687 times
Quote:
Yep..its a rule built to be subjective. If you take off the rose colored soccer glasses and see how many bad calls resulted from that rule in the World Cup, it was laughable, and trust me, most Americans WERE laughing or shaking their head. The ONLY reason people in this country watch the WC is to see how the USA fares. Once they are out, watch the bleachers clear.

Do you have any figures to back up your claims? Because the T.V. ratings for the World Cup after the U.S. was knocked out show you to be incorrect.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:39 AM

525 posts, read 767,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete MUFC View Post
Enjoy your "football" heetseker and shut up.
I don't watch football either, If I had to chose the best spectator sport would be ice hockey, where they can beat the crap out of each other or the puck. As far as the last dude who told me to shut up well lets just say you are real tough behind the keyboard besides its not all that serious, soccer sucks and so do the rules I think they should allow fist fights in soccer that would liven it up a little. I'll leave soccer to mom's and girl scouts, which one are you?

Old 10-05-2011, 01:40 PM

9,578 posts, read 8,879,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
So, you are saying that people that worked in the industry at that time are lying in books about this? There are quotes from people that worked for the NFL saying the same thing in some books I have read. They talked about the uphill battle they had with some media outlets and prominent media members. What motivation do they have to lie about this.

Again, do you know every single person that worked in the media during that time? Have you talked to all of them? Do you know all of them personally that you can verify this?

You claimed that NO ONE had an issue with the NFL. You are making a claim that every single person that worked in the media with the 60s covered the NFL and thought it would last. That's incorrect. There are books out there that proof that.

Soccer is the most popular sport in the world, by far. Nothing else even comes close. They do not need to get rid off the offside rule. Without it, you ruin the sport and it would simply become a ping pong match with forward cherry picking goals. The beauty of the game comes from trying to beat the offside trap.

You really like to speak for other people, dont you? I'm an American and I didnt see that at all. The millions upon millions of people that watched and enjoyed the games apparently didnt either.

The World Cup had excellent ratings in the U.S. and we had watch parties in downtown KC with thousands of people every single day for an entire month in our entertainment district including 20,000 people that showed up for the U.S. v. Ghana game.

The most popular sport in the world is boring to most people? Do you think before you type or do you constantly spew the same untrue vomit with your keyboard?
I'm done ..don't care....

Old 10-05-2011, 02:38 PM

7,548 posts, read 16,381,882 times
Why do you keep coming back then ? Need to bump your post count ?

Old 10-05-2011, 03:08 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,406,221 times
Yeah, we have a saying here in America:
"Soccer is the sport of the future.
And it always will be."

Seriously though: Do you really know why soccer (futbol) is the "world's favorite sport?" Because it's cheap; you don;t need any equipment. A bunch of 3rd world kids can make a ball form knotted-up rags and mark out the goals with anything from sticks to a pile of rocks to their t-shirts and then play soccer!
You can bet your ass if some of these poorer countries had the money for equipment, they would be just as crazy about baseball and basketball and American football and lacrosse as we are.
You guys have always wanted what we have; our sports are no exception.

This all reminds me of a joke form the movie "Anger Management" when Jack Nicholson forced himself into Adam Sandler's bed and procalimed, "Ya know, in Eropean countries it's not unusual for three or four men to share the same bed."
To which Sandler replied, "Yeah, I know; that's just another reason I'm proud to be an American."

Old 10-05-2011, 05:06 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,085,866 times
lol this thread is laughable we football fans don't care if you like it or not! We and millions upon millions do, go and type your dribble on another thread.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:31 PM

9,578 posts, read 8,879,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Why do you keep coming back then ? Need to bump your post count ?
Its like a car wreck..you know you shouldnt look but you cant help yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer