U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 04:33 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,339,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Because it sounds as if you're denigrating MLS. Granted, it's not on par with the better European domestic leagues, but I can't fault an American for supporting their domestic league and want to see it grow in prominence.

I am not denigrating the MLS at all. If he was talking about English or Spanish football I would of said the same. My point is that world football is world football not just English football, Spanish football, MLS etc....
I was not having a kick at the MLS at all.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
What do you think the thread title meant as World Football ? It said World Football which relates to Football and not American Football which Americans just call Football.

So in regards to the thread title, MLS is World Football.

You are taking the wrong idea from what I said.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:47 PM

35 posts, read 89,372 times
Soccer has 2x 45 minutes. Bad for American advertising. Most American sports are divided into many smaller shorter parts, which are designed for better TV commercial.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram8349 View Post
Soccer has 2x 45 minutes. Bad for American advertising. Most American sports are divided into many smaller shorter parts, which are designed for better TV commercial.

Adverts ruin sports. It makes them so comercial. Its all about money and greed now and not about the sport itself and it makes me sick.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:00 PM

28,905 posts, read 47,637,018 times
You know, I really hate these whiny "Why don't Americans like soccer" threads. They are the needy girlfriend of internet threads.

First of all, it's not that Americans don't like soccer. It's just that Americans don't care about soccer. Hey, if the United States ever fielded a decent world cup team, we might tune in. But the minute the World Cup is done, we're on to watching baseball and the NFL preseason. However, since you are so obsessed about Americans liking this game, let me give you the rundown:

Football, basketball, baseball, hockey, golf, automobile racing, tennis, and even lacrosse. The average American already is overloaded with sports. So forgive us if we can't exactly make time in our busy schedule for yours.

The low scoring. Sorry, but watching a 2-1 soccer game isn't exactly breathless excitement to us. After fifteen minutes, we're all glancing at our wristwatches and thinking, "Good God, will someone get a goal already?"

The rather mundane athleticism. Yeah, we get it. Soccer players run ten miles in a game and all that. NFL receivers have to go up over the middle to pull down a bullet pass knowing full well that they're going to get nailed by the linebacker when they come down to earth. A good hitter in baseball has to have inhuman reflexes to hit a fast ball screaming across the plate at speeds approaching 100 mph. Baseketball and hockey have similar athletic demands. So until soccer players do something that is indisputably superior to those sports in terms of physicality, just drop it. Because you're not going to win. At least in rugby, they hit the snot out of each other. We can respect that.

The clutching of body parts after apparently minor injuries. Heck, we have football players who are practically cripples still out there play after play, season after season. Yet soccer players roll around the ground for five minutes after getting a toe stepped on. And the crowds are whistling at him, too. What the heck is wrong with that? In America, we even applaud when an opposing team's injured player is helped off the field, while the Europeans seem content to mock the guy. If that's not the biggest argument against soccer, I don't know what is.

The soccer supporters themselves. It certainly doesn't help that the soccer contingent in the United States seems to have a disproportionate number of nebbish Dungeons and Dragons players who kvetch about why the rest of us aren't exactly gaga over their favorite sport. They lecture us why we Americans are a bunch of knuckle-dragging, culturally-inferior neanderthals because we don't avidly follow Manchester United--never realizing that a shrill, ad hominem argument won't exactly win friends. In fact, the only argument these guys seem to have for watching soccer is that the rest of the world watches soccer. As if a 'get on the bandwagon' pitch ever works. Large portions of the world also like genocide, mass starvation, pointless religious conflicts, totalitarianism, and a whole number of other things that we don't really want to adopt either. Besides, begging isn't a good argument. Man, it's undignified.

Kids don't like it. Sure, every parent signs their kid up for soccer team when the child turns four. And for a few seasons, we smile indulgently while they run around on grass. But the kid gets tired of it and wants to play more sexy sports. Heck, in my city, recreational soccer leagues can barely field teams once the kids hit 11 or 12, because they'd much rather play lacrosse. Now THAT'S a sport. A cool synthesis of football, basketball, soccer, and hockey, one where you can whack each other with sticks. Small wonder it's growing in popularity while soccer seems to remain mired as the perpetual official sport of geekdom. Because despite the fact that zillions of American kids have grown up kicking a soccer ball, the vast majority have moved on and don't seem to have the least bit of nostalgia for it.

Last edited by cpg35223; 04-10-2012 at 06:09 PM..

Old 04-10-2012, 05:06 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,324,350 times
I couldn't care less if anyone liked football, I still love it!

Old 04-10-2012, 05:12 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,466,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
I couldn't care less if anyone liked football, I still love it!
I'm fine with keeping the knuckle-dragging score score score neanderthals out of my sport. Go watch bball where u see mostly the same shot every 2 minutes.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

The low scoring. Sorry, but watching a 2-1 soccer game isn't exactly breathless excitement to us. After fifteen minutes, we're all glancing at our wristwatches and thinking, "Good God, will someone get a goal already?"
Oh yeah and watching Baseball is not boring as ****. As much as you want to think its true but the truth is that knowone cares if Americans dont like football. Heck I am delighted most of you dont. With all your adverts during the games I am sure it would ruin the game. We like it you dont. Who cares. You enjoy watching your world series which is strange when its not a world series because its only in America.
P.s football is the biggest sport in the world watched by a hell of a lot of people. You are missing out on a lot and your negative atitude towards the beautiful game is really sad. The reason you Americans find football stupid is because you are watching fellow Americans play it. If you watched a world cup final played between two European or South American teams you might think of it a bit differently.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:21 PM

7,567 posts, read 16,636,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You know, I really hate these whiny "Why don't Americans like soccer" threads. They are the needy girlfriend of internet threads.

First of all, it's not that Americans don't like soccer. It's just that Americans don't care about soccer. Hey, if the United States ever fielded a decent world cup team, we might tune in. But the minute the World Cup is done, we're on to watching baseball and the NFL preseason. However, since you are so obsessed about Americans liking this game, let me give you the rundown:

Football, basketball, baseball, hockey, golf, automobile racing, tennis, and even lacrosse. The average American already is overloaded with sports. So forgive us if we can't exactly make time in our busy schedule for yours.

The rather mundane athleticism. Yeah, we get it. Soccer players run ten miles in a game and all that. NFL receivers have to go up over the middle to pull down a bullet pass knowing full well that they're going to get nailed by the linebacker when they come down to earth. A good hitter in baseball has to have inhuman reflexes to hit a fast ball screaming across the plate at speeds approaching 100 mph. Baseketball and hockey have similar athletic demands. So until soccer players do something that is indisputably superior to those sports in terms of physicality, just drop it. Because you're not going to win. At least in rugby, they hit the snot out of each other. We can respect that.

The clutching of body parts after apparently minor injuries. Heck, we have football players who are practically cripples still out there play after play, season after season. Yet soccer players roll around the ground for five minutes after getting a toe stepped on. And the crowds are whistling at him, too. What the heck is wrong with that? In America, we even applaud when an opposing team's injured player is helped off the field, while the Europeans seem content to mock the guy. If that's not the biggest argument against soccer, I don't know what is.

The soccer supporters themselves. It certainly doesn't help that the soccer contingent in the United States seems to have a disproportionate number of nebbish Dungeons and Dragons players who kvetch about why the rest of us aren't exactly gaga over their favorite sport. They lecture us why we Americans are a bunch of knuckle-dragging, culturally-inferior neanderthals because we don't avidly follow Manchester United--never realizing that a shrill, ad hominem argument won't exactly win friends. In fact, the only argument these guys seem to have for watching soccer is that the rest of the world watches soccer. As if a 'get on the bandwagon' pitch ever works. Large portions of the world also like genocide, mass starvation, pointless religious conflicts, totalitarianism, and a whole number of other things that we really want to adopt either. Besides, begging isn't a good argument. Man, it's undignified.

Kids don't like it. Sure, every parent signs their kid up for soccer team when the child turns four. And for a few seasons, we smile indulgently while they run around on grass. But the kid gets tired of it and wants to play more sexy sports. Heck, in my city, recreational soccer leagues can barely field teams once the kids hit 11 or 12, because they'd much rather play lacrosse. Now THAT'S a sport. A cool synthesis of football, basketball, soccer, and hockey, one where you can whack each other with sticks. Small wonder it's growing in popularity while soccer seems to remain mired. Because despite the fact that zillions of American kids have grown up kicking a soccer ball, the vast majority have moved on and don't seem to have the least bit of nostalgia for it.
By Americans you mean you right ? I mean to say Americans dont care wouldnt be true. Considering ESPN and other stations are showing more soccer now than before, taht would prove otherwise since if nobody watched, it wouldnt be on.

Hey man if you dont want to make time to watch it its cool, plenty of people do take time to watch and play the sport. Attendences and participation records prove that.

Unlike your classic American sport, football isnt based around high scores. You dont have to score 1 goal to get 6 points. I am not sure how the score affects the quality of a game. It was proven when the MLS did their experiments with overtime etc that less people watched it because it was a joke.

Youre right taht some players playact and its horrible. Everybody whistles when a player goes down so he will be taken off the pitch so the game can continue, not because a player is hurt. When a player actually goes off injured, as in taken off the pitch and down the tunnel fans always applaud the guy. I have never seen a guy booed for that. Google Muamba and tell me they all booed him. NFL players etc over play their injuries too, I have seen ppl complain about it in the American Football forum. Just look up Stuart Pearce too, tried to run off a broken leg.

Most Football fans couldnt care less whether you or other people like their sport. Now if you bring it up or are in a conversation about it what do you expect them to do ? Say no youre right, you are spot on and leave it at that ?

Check out attendance figures for Lacrosse game and tell me its a more popular sport. The attendance for MLS is higher than that of Hockey which isnt bad for such a new league.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:42 PM

28,905 posts, read 47,637,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
See, it's things like THIS ....
Exactly. It's the presumed superiority of some soccer fans. They pretend they don't care that we don't watch it, but they are really bothered. Kind of like the fat pimply girl who can't understand why she's never asked to the prom but pretends she doesn't care.

Last edited by cpg35223; 04-10-2012 at 06:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer