U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 05:14 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,706,901 times

Advertisements

You mean the World Series featuring players from countries all over the world?

Old 09-16-2011, 05:22 PM

9,030 posts, read 16,453,674 times
It leaves the US in good company with the majority of the worlds population who choose games other than soccer to focus their attention & energy into.

China, Russia & the US all have very good sports federations - they just don't feel the need to put all that energy into soccer.

In our major sports leagues we attract the best players in the world, give them the largest stage and most money. Baseball also was an olympic sport and there is the exhibition world baseball classic tournament.

There are also countless other sports where the US constantly measures themselves against the world. Never far off in medal counts for both winter & summer games (combining the two shows a strong sporting picture). Plenty of international competitions and as stated earlier, the worlds best typically play here for most sports.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:21 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,676,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
It leaves the US in good company with the majority of the worlds population who choose games other than soccer to focus their attention & energy into.

China, Russia & the US all have very good sports federations - they just don't feel the need to put all that energy into soccer.
Don't really understand why you add Russia to that, as soccer is a major sport there (along with icehockey and basketball) and the Russian Premier League is the 7 best league of Europe.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:38 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,355,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
really?! -you signed up to post this..........

I think you'll find that most americans like to eat babies, which is most assuredly related

Also, why would americans be the odd one out.

The 10 most populous nations in the world are:
  • China
  • India
  • United States
  • Indonesia
  • Brazil
  • Pakistan
  • Bangladesh
  • Nigeria
  • Russia
  • Japan
Even if you remove Brazil & Nigeria that is 8 of the top 10 nations and 53% of the population where soccer isn't all that successful. So it sounds like the US isn't as isolated as you would originally imply

That's if your original statement was even true

However, given that soccer & basketball run neck and neck as the most participated in youth sports and the leagues are growing, the federation is improving and more international leagues are being picked up and broadcast - soccer definitely has a place at the american sports table

sure it's not on par with others - it may never be ..... but it's definitely here
China - Soccer is developing as a major sport
India - Cricket
United States - American football and baseball
Indonesia - soccer, badminton and table tennis
Brazil - soccer
Pakistan - Cricket
Bangladesh - Cricket
Nigeria - Soccer
Russia - Soccer
Japan - Soccer is a majort sport in Japan

Old 09-17-2011, 01:08 PM

4,854 posts, read 6,376,459 times
I am American. I like soccer. I also like American sports. While I am amazed that people who watch golf and tennis and auto racing will call soccer "boring", I accept that it's not all that popular. I don't care. Their loss.

I could also care less that out sports aren't popular all over the globe.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:36 PM

7,208 posts, read 8,387,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave39 View Post
Cant understand why football soccer is not liked much in the usa,dont the americans ask themselves why does most of the world have football as there no1 sport dont you feel your missing out.your top sports american football which is rugby with pads, baseball which is rounders andis not played in most countrys why are you the odd country out.
Don't stereotype all Americans..

I like soccer just fine...I follow the EPL and Arsenal..

I'm also a fan of the NFL's 49ers...

I don't see why you can't be a fan of both. It doesn't have to be an either/or thing..

Some Europeans are awfully sensitive...

Old 09-17-2011, 06:14 PM

3,522 posts, read 5,470,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave39 View Post
Cant understand why football soccer is not liked much in the usa,dont the americans ask themselves why does most of the world have football as there no1 sport dont you feel your missing out.your top sports american football which is rugby with pads, baseball which is rounders andis not played in most countrys why are you the odd country out.
Practically every country occupied by the english far an extended period of time, adopts cricket, rugby or an adaptation of another english sport (other than soccer) as their national passtime.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:28 AM

3,250 posts, read 3,147,702 times
Soccer is'nt commercial friendly. Just watch a televised NFL game in the states, it's just endless beer & truck commercials, thats why an NFL game lasts for almost 4 hours.

Thank god it has'nt happened to soccer yet.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:20 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,405,144 times
That cant happen to Football albion.

On the other hand though Football is pretty commercial friendly, you can charge a higher premium for the ads that do get seen during the two breaks at half time.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:57 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,744,612 times
Well American Football has been played in America for a LONG time and people here go crazy over the NFL (Not as much as UK and Football ill admit)

But theres no way American Football not be the most popular sport in America
Portland doesn't have a NFL team but they have a MLS team and im pretty sure Portland is the only non American Football (Major) City

I honestly dont care for American Football. Its fun to watch but when you go to a game its so quiet and alot of the people dont watch the whole game. I remember going to a game and everyone was doing the wave and a good play would happen on the field but no one would cheer cause they were more focued on the wave lol

MLS is growing in popularity though and youth (real) football is VERY popular in america. Thats why we always use the term Soccer Mom lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer