U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 09:48 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,890,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete MUFC View Post
This IS cold. Learn a thing or two about the "best soccer player" medical condition he had and then put your smile face on.
And I am not even the fan of him.
oh yea because my 'ignorance' doesnt enlighten me to the fact that he went to spain from argentina because his parents couldnt afford some treatment for his medical condition which the team paid for... and now he's beloved in spain but disregarded in argentina because he's more of a spaniard now to them and does nothing for their national team. yea i didnt know about that

i also couldn't care less, the fact remains he weighs as much as the average 13 year old and THIS man with this condition is the greatest active soccer player alive at the moment... which supports my claim that soccer is more of a 'skills' game compared to football or basketball which require more athletic ability. because i'd sooner fly to mars than see a 5'6 140 pound player dominate either basketball or football the way messi does with soccer.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:51 AM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,179,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
good one..lmao

....ok.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:19 AM

921 posts, read 909,684 times
[quote=expect;23810185]oh yea because my 'ignorance' doesnt enlighten me to the fact that he went to spain from argentina because his parents couldnt afford some treatment for his medical condition which the team paid for... and now he's beloved in spain but disregarded in argentina because he's more of a spaniard now to them and does nothing for their national team. yea i didnt know about that

See, you know a lot of football facts, why are arguing then?
Seems like you like watching it too, you just don't want others to know as this sport is only for the "soccer moms".

Old 04-11-2012, 10:24 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,747,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
so let me get this straight.. when the thread asks why americans dont like soccer, and the reasons are given, they are dismissed as ignorance? hahahah

the only thing you posted a response to is 'last minute victories' which i never argued.. and there were still 4 minutes left in that game... that goal can't be compared to a walk off homerun or a shot at the buzzer.. because of the clock reason that i posted. oh wait its 'ignorance' that i point out how the clock in soccer works and how it rarely leaves opportunities for miraculous last second victories like in other sports.

but please, point out to me the countless stats that soccer fans argue when discussing things like the best soccer player ever... here i'll help you:

Greatest football player of all time

it's a discussion about who scores the most goals and subjectivity about players "technical skills"...

and while you're at it, please point out the 'athletic freaks' in soccer.. because as i said, the best soccer player in the world is shorter than i was in the 8th grade.

Because there are several misleading and false statements in your post. I am not going analyze your post because it is a waste of time.

You along with a lot of Americans seem to think that size equals athleticism. Cyclist that ride in the Tour de France are among the world's best athletes and they are skinnier than a beanpole. You do not have to be tall or packed with muscle to be a freak athlete. This is a huge misnomer. You can be an average looking person and be a freak athlete. You dont see the world's best marathon runners packed with muscle or you dont see people that finish in the top 100 of the Ironman competition looking like Lebron or Chris Johnson. People that are among the best in Ironman competition are the true freak athletes.

Soccer players that play at the highest level in England, Spain, Italy, etc are freak athletes. Do you have any idea what it takes to be running at a full sprint and chip a ball 30 yards to another player that is also running at a full sprint? This is done with their feet. Not their hands which you have a lifetime of training using through everyday task like eating or tieing your shoes. Most people couldnt pass a ball to a person 10 feet away if they were asked to. I once worked with an American football player for two hours simply trying to get him to pass the ball to me from a short distance and he couldnt do it. This guy went on to play Division I football at Michigan.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:24 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,307,868 times
Quote:
the only thing you posted a response to is 'last minute victories' which i never argued.. and there were still 4 minutes left in that game... that goal can't be compared to a walk off homerun or a shot at the buzzer.. because of the clock reason that i posted. oh wait its 'ignorance' that i point out how the clock in soccer works and how it rarely leaves opportunities for miraculous last second victories like in other sports.

and while you're at it, please point out the 'athletic freaks' in soccer.. because as i said, the best soccer player in the world is shorter than i was in the 8th grade.
Eh have you ever heard of a penalty shoot out. It basicly means that the last kick of the game will deside who wins it. Thats better then your stupid shot at a buzzer. Football has so much passion its unbelievable. Do you want some more examples. Let me show you what it means to some people across the pond and down south.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
oh yea because my 'ignorance' doesnt enlighten me to the fact that he went to spain from argentina because his parents couldnt afford some treatment for his medical condition which the team paid for... and now he's beloved in spain but disregarded in argentina because he's more of a spaniard now to them and does nothing for their national team. yea i didnt know about that

i also couldn't care less, the fact remains he weighs as much as the average 13 year old and THIS man with this condition is the greatest active soccer player alive at the moment... which supports my claim that soccer is more of a 'skills' game compared to football or basketball which require more athletic ability. because i'd sooner fly to mars than see a 5'6 140 pound player dominate either basketball or football the way messi does with soccer.
Why do you care what size the athlete is? You obviously know little about athleticism if you think that size matters that much. The best athletes that have walked this planet were not muscle bound freaks. You can be among the world's greatest athletes and be an average person. Some of the best cyclist in the world are so skinny you can almost see their ribs. Yet, I would rank them as better athletes than anyone playing in the NBA or NFL.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
the fact remains he weighs as much as the average 13 year old and THIS man with this condition is the greatest active soccer player alive at the moment... which supports my claim that soccer is more of a 'skills' game compared to football or basketball which require more athletic ability. because i'd sooner fly to mars than see a 5'6 140 pound player dominate either basketball or football the way messi does with soccer.
He is still a better player and has achieved more in his short life then any of your basketball players or whatever sports you play. Oh and whats that thing your American footballers wear to make them look bigger and harder. Anyone could look big wearing one of those things.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:34 AM

Here is a perfect example of football passion.

Football: Dramatic Goals, Magic Moments, Special Players - YouTube

I would advise you watch.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:40 AM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,179,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
He is still a better player and has achieved more in his short life then any of your basketball players or whatever sports you play. Oh and whats that thing your American footballers wear to make them look bigger and harder. Anyone could look big wearing one of those things.
Pads...? First off, they're not called 'footballers', that's for soccer. And second, those pads don't make you look THAT much bigger and that's not even the purpouse of having them. In the NFL, you're average Linebacker is about 6'3, 200 something pounds.

You know, because it would be stupid to play a sport that requires you to actually hit or physically tackle someone while half the time you're meeting someone head up.

How smart would it be to play a sport where you have to do this WITHOUT pads?

HARD football hit - YouTube

(being a TCU fan, it's hard for me to watch that, but you get the point. )

Old 04-11-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Those are pads and they are worn for protection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer