U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 12:27 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,800,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
yea what do i know about athleticism.

ath·let·ic (th-ltk)
adj.
1. Of or befitting athletics or athletes.
2. Characterized by or involving physical activity or exertion; active: an athletic lifestyle; an athletic child.
3. Physically strong and well-developed; muscular: an actor with an athletic build.

an example that you will either ignore or avoid is Chris Johnson's athletic ability ... which includes his speed (4.24 seconds in the 40 yard dash), a 35 inch vertical, 10'10'' broad jump, and 315 pound bench press.

and he is 5'11, 190, not some 6'8 290 pound mutant. these 'stats' don't exist for messi or other soccer players. why, because soccer is more about skill than athleticism, thus explaining why a man as small as messi can dominate the sport.

"3. Physically strong and well-developed; muscular: an actor with an athletic build."

That fits Messi and every other soccer player. You cannot play professional soccer in Europe and not be.

You dont have to be completely ripped to be physically strong or well-developed. You can be very strong and not look muscular at all.

I am only 5' 7" and 150 pounds myself. In high school I only weighed 135 pounds. I could squat more than any of the football lineman at our school and we were state champions in football. I was in the football players weightroom gym class even though I was by far the smallest guy in the room.

Do you know what the football coach would do when the football players were jacking around in practice? He would threaten to send them over to soccer practice. Guess what? They stopped jacking around because before we even started practice we would run 3 miles, do wind sprints for 20 minutes, and then run hills. That was just our warm-up.

Do you not think cyclist that ride the Tour de France are physically strong? Riding over 100 mile races in the mountains for a month straight? On the surface, they dont look to have hardly any muscle at all.

What about the world's top marathon runners? They dont fit your definition of built and they are some of the most athletic people on the planet.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:31 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,320,080 times
Quote:
how many goals did messi score in the world cup? isnt that the measure of what makes a great soccer player? isn't that the discussion being had in the 'greatest soccer player ever' thread in this forum?
how many world cup titles does messi have? blame it on what you want, messi scored as many goals in the 2010 world cup as I did. ZERO.

and the world cup being the biggest stage in soccer, the only conclusion to be had is that messi the greatest in the world does nothing. "oh he created opportunities" lol give me abreak.

How many goals has he scored in the European Cup. He already broke another record a few weeks ago when he scored 5 goals in one game. Knowone has ever did that before not Pele, Maradonna, Zidane anyone. He is the only player to have gotten top scorer in the Champions League 3 years in a row. He is also the top scorer of the Champions League in history.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:31 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,910,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Eh number one its called the Uefa Champions League and it is the biggest competition in the world not on an international level. He has won it 3 times. He has broken so many records its unreal. He has become the all time scorer of the greatest football team in history. He has just scored his 61 goal of the season last night. He has won the Fifa Ballon d'Or twice. He is arguably the greatest player of all time which I think he is. Oh and on top of that he is only 24. He has not won the world cup but that does not mean he wont. He is the face of European football which makes him the face of world football. He has won an Olympic gold medal. He has won the Fifa club world cup twice and will win it a few times more I think. Go away.
is it bigger than the world cup... is the UEFA title bigger than a world cup title.. no it's not. so it remains that the best soccer player in the world can score 900 goals in europe but in world cup play he scores zero. ZERO.

landon donovan scored more goals than messi in the 2010 world cup. the best player in the world, scores ZERO goals.

again, THE GREATEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD, scores ZERO goals in the biggest stage of the sport.

that is the difference between soccer fans and fans of other sports.
hockey, baseball, basketball, football, golf, cycling, tennis.. fans of these sports expect athletes to WIN in the biggest stages of their sports. they would never crown anyone 'the greatest' if they won NOTHING in the biggest stage.
and the 'greatest' in soccer = has won nothing and will probably retire without winning a world cup title

Old 04-11-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
how many goals did messi score in the world cup? isnt that the measure of what makes a great soccer player?
It doesnt matter how many goals he scored. That isnt a measurement of a great soccer player. Sure, if they are a forward it is definitely a part of it but soccer is far too complex to measure greatness by a single statistic.

Quote:
isn't that the discussion being had in the 'greatest soccer player ever' thread in this forum?
I dont know, I havent read it. There is no greatest player ever in a sport as complex as this. There are too many variables.

Quote:
how many world cup titles does messi have?
No player has a World Cup title. A national team wins a world cup, not a player. Argentina were not nearly as talented as Spain or Holland which is why they didnt win. It had nothing to do with Messi.

Quote:
blame it on what you want, messi scored as many goals in the 2010 world cup as I did. ZERO.
What's your point? He played well. You cannot judge how a player did or did not play unless you watched the games.

Quote:
and the world cup being the biggest stage in soccer, the only conclusion to be had is that messi the greatest in the world does nothing. "oh he created opportunities" lol give me abreak.
You realize he is only 24, right? He is the age that some people turn professional in U.S. sports. He has at least two more World Cups in him and has already broken records before the age of 25.

You are either player devil's advocate or you really believe the **** you are spewing. If it is the later then I suggest collecting beanie babies or maybe putting together puzzles because sports are far too complex for you too understand.

7,972 posts, read 10,173,511 times
Messi may be small (he can't help that) but he is actually strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
How many goals has he scored in the European Cup. He already broke another record a few weeks ago when he scored 5 goals in one game. Knowone has ever did that before not Pele, Maradonna, Zidane anyone. He is the only player to have gotten top scorer in the Champions League 3 years in a row. He is also the top scorer of the Champions League in history.
oh ok got it thanks for this, i now see that the euro championships are bigger than the World Cup.

thanks

Old 04-11-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
is it bigger than the world cup... is the UEFA title bigger than a world cup title.. no it's not. so it remains that the best soccer player in the world can score 900 goals in europe but in world cup play he scores zero. ZERO.

landon donovan scored more goals than messi in the 2010 world cup. the best player in the world, scores ZERO goals.

again, THE GREATEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD, scores ZERO goals in the biggest stage of the sport.
You dont measure soccer in that way. If you think that, you have no understanding of the game.

Quote:
that is the difference between soccer fans and fans of other sports.
hockey, baseball, basketball, football, golf, cycling, tennis.. fans of these sports expect athletes to WIN in the biggest stages of their sports. they would never crown anyone 'the greatest' if they won NOTHING in the biggest stage.
and the 'greatest' in soccer = has won nothing and will probably retire without winning a world cup title
Of the sports you mentioned, only golf, cycling and tennis measure by championships. In TEAM sports, individuals are judged by individual accomplishments and how they played. Championships are a team award and anyone that judges individual players on team accomplishments have no understanding of team sports.

On top of that, none of those other sports have anything equivalent to the level of the World Cup. Nothing.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
It doesnt matter how many goals he scored. That isnt a measurement of a great soccer player. Sure, if they are a forward it is definitely a part of it but soccer is far too complex to measure greatness by a single statistic.

I dont know, I havent read it. There is no greatest player ever in a sport as complex as this. There are too many variables.

No player has a World Cup title. A national team wins a world cup, not a player. Argentina were not nearly as talented as Spain or Holland which is why they didnt win. It had nothing to do with Messi.

What's your point? He played well. You cannot judge how a player did or did not play unless you watched the games.

You realize he is only 24, right? He is the age that some people turn professional in U.S. sports. He has at least two more World Cups in him and has already broken records before the age of 25.

You are either player devil's advocate or you really believe the **** you are spewing. If it is the later then I suggest collecting beanie babies or maybe putting together puzzles because sports are far too complex for you too understand.

....soccer fans in this very forum and from discussions i've heard in real life argue who the greatest soccer player is mainly by goals scored.
but you're telling me goal scoring isn't the determining factor... sure thing buddy.
JD47J is going on and on about how many goals messi has scored and goal scoring records he's broken... but you're saying it ISN'T about goal scoring.

Sure.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:36 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,320,080 times
Quote:
OMG running! running is so hard! so hard in fact that there are kids in high school who are marathon runners. im so amazed by the fact that rooney runs so much. LOL@ messi is strong. where's your proof? all your claims are subjective. messi is strong compared to what, your 16 year old niece? compare messi to athletes of any other sport. even Tiger Woods is built more than messi and he plays golf lol

Here is my proof. Watch the way he pushes players off him.

~ Lionel Messi | Strength of a Thousand Men | HD | 2011 ~ - YouTube

Oh and if your a runner that makes you an athlete and these footballers can run which makes them athletes.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
You dont measure soccer in that way. If you think that, you have no understanding of the game.

Of the sports you mentioned, only golf, cycling and tennis measure by championships. In TEAM sports, individuals are judged by individual accomplishments and how they played. Championships are a team award and anyone that judges individual players on team accomplishments have no understanding of team sports.

On top of that, none of those other sports have anything equivalent to the level of the World Cup. Nothing.

LOL ok you're going to tell me basketball fans don't argue who the greatest nba player is based on championships.. or who the greatest QB is based on championships. because they weren't just comparing Tom Brady to Joe Montana BASED ON SUPERBOWL TITLES.

log off for a half hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer